Dry Box: Silica Gel

Status
Not open for further replies.

hidden3

Aug 20, 2007
Sengkang
www.flickr.com
I've got this dry box, the silica gel is kind of purple pink in colour, and i've got no microwave oven at home!! any suggestions for the silica gel to change back to blue, other way of heating etc. Or any other things i can do.

the hydrometer is showing 80% when i got it, then i used oven, heated it awhile, and put it back, after sometime it dropped to 60%. but when i got back home and put my camera back in, it's 80% now. is it due to the rainy weather? or is it that using oven to heat it dont work.

I didnt know that we can recycle silica gel??
I can do that using my microwave, how long am i suppose to set?

I've got this dry box, the silica gel is kind of purple pink in colour, and i've got no microwave oven at home!! any suggestions for the silica gel to change back to blue, other way of heating etc. Or any other things i can do.

the hydrometer is showing 80% when i got it, then i used oven, heated it awhile, and put it back, after sometime it dropped to 60%. but when i got back home and put my camera back in, it's 80% now. is it due to the rainy weather? or is it that using oven to heat it dont work.

I do not recommend you to use microwave as the silicon gel will break into pieces subsequently and make your microwave messy and dusty.....not really hygiene for food.:nono:

Look for an old frying pan instead. Turn to low heat and pour the moist silicon gel in. Use an unwanted chop stick to stir and stir.... when silicon gel turns back to dark blue, it's ready.:)

BUT please take note that silicon gel after frying is very HOT... you can put the hot pan with silicon gel in it and let it cool...:cool:

While 'frying' the silicon gel..the room also get a bit hot, remember to open windows to ventilate.... btw, I have been doing it with the old pans and the silicon does last me many many years.... about 10 years??:sweatsm:

Not all silica gel are microwave-able. If you don't have a microwave oven, you can use a small pot and heat the pink silica gel over a slow fire.

I do not recommend you to use microwave as the silicon gel will break into pieces subsequently and make your microwave messy and dusty.....not really hygiene for food.:nono:

Look for an old frying pan instead. Turn to low heat and pour the moist silicon gel in. Use an unwanted chop stick to stir and stir.... when silicon gel turns back to dark blue, it's ready.:)

BUT please take note that silicon gel after frying is very HOT... you can put the hot pan with silicon gel in it and let it cool...:cool:

While 'frying' the silicon gel..the room also get a bit hot, remember to open windows to ventilate.... btw, I have been doing it with the old pans and the silicon does last me many many years.... about 10 years??:sweatsm:

mine's the i-Case silica gel, it's like sealed in a plastic container with small holes. so do i go and buy another silica gel pack or what? hmm can i like put chopsticks first, then silica gel on top of the pan, then like slowly heat it for sometime, no harm trying right?

same goes for dry cabinet, because the object has got moisture... the RH would increase. and once it's "dry", the RH would drop. be patient... the effect isn't instant :)

oh so like because when i just put it in, the hydrometer will rise quite significantly. but after awhile it'll drop gradually?

i used to put in extra silica gel if i find that the RH doesn't drop to the optimum level. just wrap it up in a tissue, then put it inside the dry box. works as well.

... and that is why most ppl recommend dry cabinet instead of dry box, because it's rather tedious. cheers ;)

i used to put in extra silica gel if i find that the RH doesn't drop to the optimum level. just wrap it up in a tissue, then put it inside the dry box. works as well.

... and that is why most ppl recommend dry cabinet instead of dry box, because it's rather tedious. cheers ;)

no $$ leh student still :bsmilie::bsmilie:

oh so like because when i just put it in, the hydrometer will rise quite significantly. but after awhile it'll drop gradually?

ah yes... that'll be the usual case. unless the silica gel is already pink (means it can't take anymore moisture).

no $$ leh student still :bsmilie::bsmilie:

i understand. used to do that last time as well. :bsmilie:

on the long run, it's really tedious... i gave up and am now using dry cabinet. :bsmilie:

Do note that silica gel are carcinogenic material....

handling it may cause cancer in the long run. :sweat:

mine's the i-Case silica gel, it's like sealed in a plastic container with small holes. so do i go and buy another silica gel pack or what? hmm can i like put chopsticks first, then silica gel on top of the pan, then like slowly heat it for sometime, no harm trying right?

U can try tis http://www.q-lifestyle.com/ecodry1.htm

Silica gel is only $3+ for one big bottle... IMHO, why not spend that tiny amt of money and get a new bottle instead of frying/microwaving/ovening the old ones? Arnt u worried the chemicals vaporise and somehow get into your food in the future? These materials are cancerous... Not worth it to risk it for a few bucks...

do yourself a favor, get a dry cabinet, think of the heath of your family members,

explain this to your daddy and mummy, send the camera and lens for fungus cleaning one time, already cost more than one dry cabinet, now everyday raining, you want to grow mushrooms on your camera??

Yes, thanks for that website! Browsing thru it now.

Christmas round the corner..;)...... hope your year end results:dunno: entitled you for some rewards.... :bigeyes:
Dad spon 1k for my camera already! Haha! Bo bian have to use drybox first.

Silica gel is only $3+ for one big bottle... IMHO, why not spend that tiny amt of money and get a new bottle instead of frying/microwaving/ovening the old ones? Arnt u worried the chemicals vaporise and somehow get into your food in the future? These materials are cancerous... Not worth it to risk it for a few bucks...
Yes, come to think of it, silica gel isn't that expensive. And where do i get them?

do yourself a favor, get a dry cabinet, think of the heath of your family members,

explain this to your daddy and mummy, send the camera and lens for fungus cleaning one time, already cost more than one dry cabinet, now everyday raining, you want to grow mushrooms on your camera??

Yeah everyday raining, but if i'm using my camera often, wouldn't be much of a problem to have mushrooms growing right. :dunno:

hi, am using the icase also. got fed up of microwavin em gels, after getting rid of some lens, i can actually fit a hungry hippo in it. RH is now 40%. ohh btw i also took out the silica gel pack, only wif the hippo now :D

Status
Not open for further replies.