Dry Box Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

pommie

Jan 2, 2007
I was looking at picking up a dry box to house a body and couple of lens. Alan photo sell a $20 box which is a bit too small, then there is an electronic one which is too big and to $$$.

Can anyone recommend anything inbetween?

Thanks

I was looking at picking up a dry box to house a body and couple of lens. Alan photo sell a $20 box which is a bit too small, then there is an electronic one which is too big and to $$$.

Can anyone recommend anything inbetween?

Thanks
go for a dry cabinet, it will be the best investment for your camera and lenses in long run.

Go to TK at Shaw Tower at Beach road. they have a decent sized dri-cabinet (30l) going for $99.

Go to TK at Shaw Tower at Beach road. they have a decent sized dri-cabinet (30l) going for $99.

a dry cabinet is good... but please remember to plan for ur future toys.. u don't want to run out of space when u buy new lenses/bodies/accessories....

using a $20 dry box won't help in the long run.. silica gel will cost u money and it's not as effective or stable as a dry cabinet... spending a bit more for protection is better than spending alot repairing or buying a new cam...

Go for dry cab for peace in mind.

Regards,
Arto.

Thanks for the advice. Ive just been reading the other threads on Dri Cabinets, so I think I'll pick one up from Digihub.

Cheers

A dry box is a good alternative if you

a. do not have the budget.
b. have limited space in the house.
c. travel quite a bit with your gear.

Here's my S$30 dry box which I've been using for the past year without problems... it keeps my E-300, battery grip, 3 lens, flash, filters, accessories etc... I can carry it anywhere I want, put it anywhere I want. I change the silca gels every week, just a very small quantity is sufficient to keep the box within the humidity level of 50%... ;)

DSC00157copy.jpg

Just reminder:

Blue Silica Gel contains cobalt Chloride as blue humidity indicator. Silica gel itself is harmful, but cobalt chloride is known as carcinogen agent. Cancer causer agent.

It is better safe than sorry.

Regards,
Arto.

i would recommend the vacuumsaver VAM-5101, its 11.5L in capacity and features an airpump to suck out air from the box itself.

photo5101.jpg

link is here--> http://www.vacuumsaver.com/new/photo&electronics_vacuumsaver_vam5101.htm

cp is selling it for $75

from my past experience it doesn't work very well and u gotta check it periodically coz air will seep in after a while... and the humidity doesn't really seem to lower much with the vacuum thing... u still gotta use silica gel.. so it got so troublesome i just got myself a dry cabinet...

the lower end ones don't cost that much.. at most 100-200 to store and protect thousands of dollars of equipment... it's good insurance...

from my past experience it doesn't work very well and u gotta check it periodically coz air will seep in after a while... and the humidity doesn't really seem to lower much with the vacuum thing... u still gotta use silica gel.. so it got so troublesome i just got myself a dry cabinet...

the lower end ones don't cost that much.. at most 100-200 to store and protect thousands of dollars of equipment... it's good insurance...

agreed.. personally i would recommend a dry cab, but since the TS already ruled out dry cab as an option so i guess tat dry box i recommended is the next best choice for him. provided he dun find it a choir to change or cook the silicagel regularly. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.