Dry box queries

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkness

Aug 11, 2002
Visit site
I know most serious photographers will store their lenses (and cameras as well?? :dunno: ) in dry boxes to prevent fungus from growing on the lenses. Qn: what abt compact cameras? Is there really a need to buy a dry box just to store a compact camera? I own a Powershot S30, but I just place it anywhere around the house.

Originally posted by darkness
I know most serious photographers will store their lenses (and cameras as well?? :dunno: ) in dry boxes to prevent fungus from growing on the lenses. Qn: what abt compact cameras? Is there really a need to buy a dry box just to store a compact camera? I own a Powershot S30, but I just place it anywhere around the house.

Juz want to clarify; you're talking about a dry box which is basically an air-tight container where one uses silicon gel or you're referring to those electronic dry cabinets?

The reason why I bring this up is that sometime we use the 2 terms so loosely that we mix up the 2 (I used to be one of them)!

Originally posted by AdamGoi Juz want to clarify; you're talking about a dry box which is basically an air-tight container where one uses silicon gel or you're referring to those electronic dry cabinets?

Oops, I guess I was referring to dry cabinets, becoz read on the forums that using silica gel will turn pink in just 1-2 days?!?? :eek:

Actually my main concern is whether there's a need to keep the camera dry (regardless of dry box or electric dry cabinets). Somehow I feel that it's an overkill to store a compact camera in a dry box/cabinet? :what:

Oops, I guess I was referring to dry cabinets, becoz read on the forums that using silica gel will turn pink in just 1-2 days?!?? :eek:

Actually my main concern is whether there's a need to keep the camera dry (regardless of dry box or electric dry cabinets). Somehow I feel that it's an overkill to store a compact camera in a dry box/cabinet? :what:
Overkill??? When u notice some white stuff in your lens, then you'll realise overkill is better than killing your camera. :bsmilie:

darkness, a dry box with silica gel only costs $20 (or higher if you want one with a hygrometer) so it's not really an overkill. Altho the compact cam lens is small, it is still a potential surface for fungus to reside on. Furthermore, since the lens is small, it'll be quite hard to notice when fungus actually grew already, only after you take the shots. ;)

if you put enuff silica gel and not open the dry box too often, silica gel can be used for about 2 weeks. Furthermore, you can always recycle them by heating them back to blue again. No additional cost!

Hey, my previous compact Nikon film camera 3 years no fungus. Only kept in the camera bag.

too lazy/no time to change your silica gel? try getting a bigger box and use this . heard it works very well.
life02_01dz.jpg

Actually, how do you heat up the silica gel to remove the moisture. My silica gel in the dry box has not been changed for some time already. :D

Heard that it is possible to microwave...not sure how that will affect the oven...will it leave some chemical residue behind?

Thanks all for the replies. Perhaps I'll take a look around this weekend to find a cheap cheap one... :D

I know most serious photographers will store their lenses (and cameras as well?? ) in dry boxes to prevent fungus from growing on the lenses. Qn: what abt compact cameras? Is there really a need to buy a dry box just to store a compact camera? I own a Powershot S30, but I just place it anywhere around the house.
:
:
Thanks all for the replies. Perhaps I'll take a look around this weekend to find a cheap cheap one... :D
Even if you are not keeping it in a drybox/cab, you should at least keep it in a cool, dry place (not "anywhere") where heat and moisture wouldn't accumulate so easily.

There's a $11.50 2L drybox at Harvey Norman.. looks like one of these found here:
http://www.gsioutdoors.com/NewFiles/lexutil.html

Just got one last night from Carrerfour. $99 for a 40L one. There are 2 on sale right now 30L and 40L. Both the same price and both both made by digicab. (5yr warranty)

Don't ask me abt the pricing. It didn't make sense.

Highly suggest you don't use the Thirsty Hippo type products. From what I have seen/read they will reduce the moisture levels to far, near 0%. This will dry out all the rubber seals, lubricants etc. It will probably do more damage then good.

Silica Gel will bring the moisture level down to about 30%. Fungus cannot grow, but you will not do any other long term damage to your camera.

As for life and reuse of Silica... I typically get 2 - 3 weeks out of a batch. And it only take about 5 minutes to refresh it. Pre-heat the oven to 150 Degrees, put the Pink Silica Gel in the oven on a cookie sheet and wait until its blue again. Easy! I think a Mirowave will work as well but I have not tried.

Silica Gel is safe. No dangerous or harmfull chemicals so you don't need to worry about safety with it.

Mike

Originally posted by PsychoBoy
too lazy/no time to change your silica gel? try getting a bigger box and use this . heard it works very well.
life02_01dz.jpg

i have the harvey norman air box ..how much silica gel do i need to put inside???
i bought the 500ml silica gel.

Just enough to cover the bottom of the box on or two pellets deep. Not much.....

Mike

Originally posted by jlpk007
i have the harvey norman air box ..how much silica gel do i need to put inside???
i bought the 500ml silica gel.

Try to squeeze more things into your dry box to displace as much air and moisture out of it as possible, then your silica gel will last longer. Don't place fabrics (camera pouch, straps etc.) inside though, these things absorbs moisture.

I just bought a "Lock & Lock" airtight box (the biggest one) for $11.90 at Carrefour and a 500ml bottle of silica gel ($4.00).

Qn now is what am I supposed to do with the silica gel? Spread out 1 layer like Bedpan mentioned? Or open the silica gel bottle and leave it inside? Or wat? :dunno:

What i do is actually i spread out the silica gels evenly in layers, just 1 layer thick. Then on top of the silica gels i put a cloth, and mount all my stuff on top of the cloth. My fren using tissue paper instead of cloth though.. but cloth is just fine for me.. :eek:

Originally posted by cheechee
What i do is actually i spread out the silica gels evenly in layers, just 1 layer thick. Then on top of the silica gels i put a cloth, and mount all my stuff on top of the cloth. My fren using tissue paper instead of cloth though.. but cloth is just fine for me.. :eek:

thats rather inconvenient if you need to microwave it isn't it?

I put the silica gel into a cloth bag. if i need to microwave i put the bag into the microwave and its done....

Status
Not open for further replies.