Dry box or Lock N Lock container?

Status
Not open for further replies.

debtan

Oct 29, 2009
Hi,

Just curious if camera should be kept in dry box or would it be okay to keep it in lock an dlock container with silicon gel. I'm using a 500D btw.

Please advise.
Thanks.

dry cabinet! so u dun have to worry about regenerating the silica gel in the long run
u can control the humidity range more effectively with dry cabinet as well

ryan

will dry box be effective as well. as compared to dry cabinet?

box < cabinet.

=> Dry box = smaller dry cabinet.

oh!!! okayyyy :)
Thanks. so much clearer now.

Too confused by the overwhelming amt of information from the internet. :)

A dry cabinet is definitely better. But there's no shame in using a dry box or an air-tight container with silica gel. The goal is to ensure that your camera is kept in a relatively dry environment.

hi debtan, I'm using a 500D as well and I keep my camera and equipment in a lock n lock container. To keep the humidity level low, I am using a dehumidifier bag (less than $20) that I bought from HomeFix, and I also bought a digital hygrometer (~$25) to measure the humidity level. The dehumidifier bag really works, and keeps my lock n lock container between 39% -45%.

The dehumidifer bag is blue when fresh, and will turn pink when it's fully used. To recycle, pop it into the microwave for 5mins, and you can use it over and over again. The indicated lifespan is 5 years.

I think it's a suitable setup for me when I don't have too much equipment. The contents of my box are the 500D, 2 lens, external flash, and my Canon Ixus compact.

it can get rather messy when everything's just throw in there, so I bought this plastic separator thing from Daiso for $2, so I have slots in my box which fit all my equipment nicely without it sliding all over the place.

hi debtan, I'm using a 500D as well and I keep my camera and equipment in a lock n lock container. To keep the humidity level low, I am using a dehumidifier bag (less than $20) that I bought from HomeFix, and I also bought a digital hygrometer (~$25) to measure the humidity level. The dehumidifier bag really works, and keeps my lock n lock container between 39% -45%.

The dehumidifer bag is blue when fresh, and will turn pink when it's fully used. To recycle, pop it into the microwave for 5mins, and you can use it over and over again. The indicated lifespan is 5 years.

I think it's a suitable setup for me when I don't have too much equipment. The contents of my box are the 500D, 2 lens, external flash, and my Canon Ixus compact.

it can get rather messy when everything's just throw in there, so I bought this plastic separator thing from Daiso for $2, so I have slots in my box which fit all my equipment nicely without it sliding all over the place.

bro, how big is your lock and lock container? went to carrefour and look for a suitable size, but all small small one leh....

Hi,

Just curious if camera should be kept in dry box or would it be okay to keep it in lock an dlock container with silicon gel. I'm using a 500D btw.

Please advise.
Thanks.

Try getting Xeonic from Takashimaya household counter. Read that the Nano silver will help to keep fungus at bay.

I'm facing the same problem too..Went to TPY NTUC... the biggest Lock and Lock they have is the 9L one. Felt a bit too small as i intend to use hippo to dehumidify...

Beware of all the risks involved when using a dry box as opposed to a dry cabinet.

Read up on all the old threads about this.

And the most important thing is that the humidity is not controlled in a dry box environment, it can flunctuate very much and this does not protect the equippment well at all. So this is why we always tell newbies on the importance of getting a good dry cabinet to save your worries and protect their investments. :)

Agree that the drybox will experience some fluctuations. Luckily my hygrometer can tell me the peaks and troughs during the past 24 hours. My low can reach as low as 39%, my highest during the day is sometimes as high as 51%. But to me is still an acceptable level, so I'm not as bothered.

MickeyMike: Yep I'm using the 9 litre lock'n'lock. My dehumidifier is just a medium sized pouch which takes up little space if I stand it up. I would totally agree that if a hungry hippo goes in, there's not much space left. 9 litres can only fit my 500D, 2 lenses, 1 flash, my compact camera, and a small area where I slot my filters, remote trigger, and lens blower. There's still some vertical space left if you want to stack one more lens. but that's about it.

It's not that I don't want a dry cabinet, but I've got no where to put it in my room. It's either under my table (after which I won't have leg room under my desk), or in another corner of my room, which unfortunately is next to a window and is really hot there in the morning. Furthermore I tend to be a rather organised person and hate to have things sitting around in my room that doesn't fit in.

With a dry box, I can keep my camera stuff organised and tucked away in a nice cool and dry place in my cupboard without clutter.

Beware of all the risks involved when using a dry box as opposed to a dry cabinet.

Read up on all the old threads about this.

And the most important thing is that the humidity is not controlled in a dry box environment, it can flunctuate very much and this does not protect the equippment well at all. So this is why we always tell newbies on the importance of getting a good dry cabinet to save your worries and protect their investments. :)

whatever you do, never allow silica gel to be in direct contact with equipment, rubber or plastic inclusive. Put an unused nylon pouch or something to on top of the silica. Thin paper is not suitable too.

The experience of rubber harden and whiten is due to direct contact (besides perspiration, hard water stain, chlorine and sun). Plastic too will have permanent marking as silica absorb the wax coating upon contact.

Hi,

Please advise.
Thanks.

with all the price of the lockNlock, dehumidifier, hydrometer adding up, might as well spent a little more to get a dry cab which is much bigger and more efficient.

with all the price of the lockNlock, dehumidifier, hydrometer adding up, might as well spent a little more to get a dry cab which is much bigger and more efficient.

like I mentioned earlier, the drycabi being bigger is its problem. I can only get one when I move house. For now, my 2 lenses and camera body fits into a drybox just fine. I just happen to take pride in my DIY stuff, hence I added the partitions and hygrometer, but totally unnecessary actually.

just cut the hassle and get a dry cabinet..

i used a LNL box before.. very troublesome.. spent about $30 for the box and the silica gel.. in the end, i bought a 50L dry cab... save trouble.

I advice you to get a dry cabinet rather than a dry box. The dry cabi have better control of RH than the dry box.
Er.. You can give the lock & lock containers a miss. They can't control RH well.

I advice you to get a dry cabinet rather than a dry box. The dry cabi have better control of RH than the dry box.
Er.. You can give the lock & lock containers a miss. They can't control RH well.

That's why i've got a digital hygrometer =) i'm proud to say my lock n lock is at 51% right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.