Dry Box or Dry Cabinet or None

alvin81

Dec 21, 2009
I just started with this hobby. I recently purchased a DSLR from a fair. I was given a dry box as part of the free gifts.

My question would be: is there a need to put my equipment in the dry box? I usually use the camera every weekend. What about dry cabinet? Need to invest in one?

Please enlighten. Thank you. :)

hi alvin..

welcome to Clubsnap!
Well, I started with a dry box as well, but found the whole routine of having to check the demumidifying equipment too troublesome.
So in the end I got myself a dry cabinet. Much less hassle!

If you use the camera every weekend, I would say that probably you don't need a dry cabinet. However, because of the relative low cost of buying and operating one, it's still worthwhile to get it. There may be times when you don't use your camera for over a fortnight I suppose.

Hi..

May i know how much is the dry box? Any recommend brand?

hi alvin..

welcome to Clubsnap!
Well, I started with a dry box as well, but found the whole routine of having to check the demumidifying equipment too troublesome.
So in the end I got myself a dry cabinet. Much less hassle!

If you use the camera every weekend, I would say that probably you don't need a dry cabinet. However, because of the relative low cost of buying and operating one, it's still worthwhile to get it. There may be times when you don't use your camera for over a fortnight I suppose.

Hi, thanks for the advise. Yes, I realize that the dry box has a small container of silica gel. When it turns pink, I will need to "bake" it in the microwave to let it turn blue before putting it back into the dry box. Quite troublesome.

Any recommended size/brand/where to buy a dry cabinet?

Hi, thanks for the advise. Yes, I realize that the dry box has a small container of silica gel. When it turns pink, I will need to "bake" it in the microwave to let it turn blue before putting it back into the dry box. Quite troublesome.

http://reddotphoto.com.sg/ecommerce/

carrefour?

Challenger?

Size depends on what you want. Future proof? or are you simply contented with what you have. ask yourself before committing to one. :)

Last edited:
Just get a dry cabinet for a peice of mind.
I seriously recommend Akarui. Link
Depending on the amoutn of equipment u have, we cant really advise on the size.

just get yourself a dry cabinet. the price that you will pay if "touchwood" fungus gets into your cam is much much more than what you would pay for a dry cabinet.

hahahah yes. I did that for over a year and eventually got tired of it.
Plus I decided to consolidate all my camera gear (even those I don't use) into one cabinet.
I'm using a 60L one which has about 7 (fairly small) lenses and 4 camera bodies inside, and still plenty of space to spare.

Plus I decided to consolidate all my camera gear (even those I don't use) into one cabinet.
I'm using a 60L one which has about 7 (fairly small) lenses and 4 camera bodies inside, and still plenty of space to spare.

Hmmm, spare room eh? You might wanna consider renting that excess warehouse you've got there... like $10 for one shelf per month? :bsmilie: In about 2 years you'll probably get all your investment back... just kidding!

I think a cabinet is like a long-term insurance policy for your expensive toy, if you're into photography you will continue to have cameras during your life-span, even PNSes...

Yup, just get a dry cabinet to save yourself the mind wreck of checking for fungus ! ;p

best to get dry box at least.

no money get dry box, got money get dry cabinet.

if no money to get dry box, then you shouldn't be buying dslr, dry box $20+ dollar nia, even with $5 pocket money every day you save for 5 days gao gao liao.

For peace of mind, get a dry box. Its not worth the hassle.

Cheers :)

Bro, how did you do it man? I have a 50L one, and I only store one camera body, six lenses and I am already packing it to the brim.

I am going to upgrade to a 120L one. My dad is already running a 160L one. And yes, his is also full.
:bigeyes:

Bro, how did you do it man? I have a 50L one, and I only store one camera body, six lenses and I am already packing it to the brim.

I am going to upgrade to a 120L one. My dad is already running a 160L one. And yes, his is also full.
:bigeyes:
Because my lenses are all small n cheap :)
50/1.8, 35/1.8DX, 55-200, etc
and 4 bodies easily can fit in :) center shelf is practically empty! :)
only some filters, etc.

Even my bach. degree cert is inside! :)

Because my lenses are all small n cheap :)
50/1.8, 35/1.8DX, 55-200, etc
and 4 bodies easily can fit in :) center shelf is practically empty! :)
only some filters, etc.

Even my bach. degree cert is inside! :)

When I get the big one, I have so many things waiting to get into the dry box... :bsmilie:

BTW I am thinking of getting the 35mm/1.8 too. Do you like it?

:

Wah bro, how do u arrange them man?
Mine are mostly big lens (5 in all) and 2 50mm (AIS, AFD 1.8),
i even put all my filters in (ND,CPL, GND) plus my SB900, and 2 bodies with grip, still got room leh...:think:;p