Dry box normal humidity level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winduhs

Oct 30, 2006
Hougang
Hi everyone,

For those who own a dry box, what is the humidity level shown on your hygrometer? Mine is consistently between 60-70%, is that considered too high? If so, what can I do about it? The box is new, barely a week old, and I just unwrapped the silica gel after I bought it. The box sits on a low cupboard away from the window in a non-aircon room. TIA! :)

Hi everyone,

For those who own a dry box, what is the humidity level shown on your hygrometer? Mine is consistently between 60-70%, is that considered too high? If so, what can I do about it? The box is new, barely a week old, and I just unwrapped the silica gel after I bought it. The box sits on a low cupboard away from the window in a non-aircon room. TIA! :)

Hi,

Mine was hovering in that region too. That's why I change to a dry cab. Did a search in the forum, most of them set ard 50%. I am acheiving 40-50% now. :)

Just got my Dry Cabinet less than a week. Keep mine at 40-50%.

Oo.. really? I use a lock & lock box with a digital hygromenter in it and silica gel and it says 51%...and i already double checked my hygrometer reading in a dry cab alrdy...haha , i guess u need abit of luck...

Thanks all..at least I know my dry box is not faulty or something...I may just put a thirsty hippo inside soon :p

Oo.. really? I use a lock & lock box with a digital hygromenter in it and silica gel and it says 51%...and i already double checked my hygrometer reading in a dry cab alrdy...haha , i guess u need abit of luck...

may i ask...where did u get the digital hygrometer (does it run on batt?) and do they sell analog ones that run without batt?

Ideally is around 45-65 region. Too low the rubber rings on your lenses might turn white or brittle especially on older lenses. It happened to my Tokina MF lens.
Too high, it beats the purpose to have a dry cab.

A new dry cab usually needs a few days or sometimes even weeks to settle down depending on the insulation on the doors, the drying mechanism and the location of the cab. Try to set the power towards the high side and slowly tune down to the desired level. Do not put in anything inside the cab first as it might interfere with the readings. If your dry cab comes with a analog hygrometer, try to put a digital one side by side to get a 2nd reading. Sometimes the analog meter gives erratic results. Others may even try to smear non corrosive grease along the insulating foam to enhance the insulation.
BTW, anyone knows where to find a cheap digital hygrometer? Got mine from BKK for less than 10 dollars. Can't seem to find one in SG. Can anyone advice?;)

i got a dry box is the vccum type... i suck the air out but the humudity level din went down, so i got a thirsty hippo in end up sometime down to 20 - 30%... so i need to check reguarly to make sure in stay @ 40 - 50%... thinking to get a dry cabinet...

may i ask...where did u get the digital hygrometer (does it run on batt?) and do they sell analog ones that run without batt?

HomeFix

i got a dry box is the vccum type... i suck the air out but the humudity level din went down, so i got a thirsty hippo in end up sometime down to 20 - 30%... so i need to check reguarly to make sure in stay @ 40 - 50%... thinking to get a dry cabinet...

Just get one and save on the hassle! :bsmilie:
It'll be worth it. Think of the valus of your camera system, what is $1xx-$2xx for the peace of mind. ;)

Mine is consistently between 60-70%

60-65% is the day time humudity of my bedroom when the day door is open.

The humidity drop to 50-55% 1-2 hrs after the air-con is turned on. My room has air-con on between 11pm to 7 am.

If the dry box register 60-70%, you might as well put it in the open. i.e. 65-70% may be higher than your room humudity. The other way is to open your dry box and only close it 3 hrs after turning on your air-con. At least you know that the humubity should be in the low 5x% range.

Becareful with air-con. Some air-con have this blow-dry feature, i.e. the fan continue to blow for 30 mins after the air-con is turned off. The purpose is to dry the coil. I noticed the humudity jump all the way to 72-74% in the air-con room withh door still closed.

I have a desktop analog hygrometer and another digital hygrometer to monitor my room humudity before deciding to buy a dry cabi. The stupid blow dry feature cause me to pay for the dry cabi.

Well.. i got mine at Homefix. cost me $30+.. it has a temp. reading too.. They do have analog ones.. but the one i saw was huge... like a clock..lols.. and yes, digital hygrometers run on batt, mine runs on 1 AAA batt.

My dry box settles at around 50%. Need to monitor and change silica gel from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.