Dry box hydrometer reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChongK

Nov 15, 2007
West Side
Hi all,

i would like to know if the hydrometer reading goes below 45%,lets say around 20%.

will there be any damages done to the lense?:dunno:

if its 20%, its too dry, and if im not wrong, the lubricants might get dried up (focus/zoom ring)...

45% - 50% is the recommended humidity level for cameras and lenses.. below that will cause drying out of lubricants in your lenses... but of course it will happen gradually....

and i dont think dry box can go lower than 20%... i used to have one, my lowest was 55%...
:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

ok thanks for the replies all!

however,my dry box was at 18% the last time ;p

but after opening and closing a few times,it went up to 30%..haha

By taking out some of the celica gel beads?

haha okay thanks for the advice.. :D

Hmmm was the reading of the hydrometer low?

depends on whether you left the silica beads in the container or spread them out... And to be honest, there's no need for silica beads in a dry-box - you'll only need silica beads when you've got a normal container with no dehumidifying function. ;) And after some time, they stop functioning as well (when they change colour). =)

oh i see..

But from what i noe the hydrometer does not go down if u dont have any seilica beads in the box.

Mine is both spreaded out and in the container..haha :sweatsm:

oh i see..

But from what i noe the hydrometer does not go down if u dont have any seilica beads in the box.

Mine is both spreaded out and in the container..haha :sweatsm:

hey Chong, when you it doesn't go down, what was the reading at? it takes up to 12 hours sometimes especially when u start using it before it responds (since the stuff you put in could have lots of moisture on their surface for example).

hope that helps!

i have an old Toshiba electronic drybox which runs below 30, prob is that i can't find any switch/levers to adjust (maybe don't have) and i've lost the manual. as someone mentioned, i also resort to opening/closing the door once in a while to let the gauge go up higher than 30 :D

Hi all,

I did not know that at 20%, the lubricants in the lens will dry up. Learnt something new today. :)
I have already tune my Value dry cabinet to mid-range rate of drying, but the meter still goes down to 20% overnight (no sliica beads in cabinet). Hmmmm...think I better set the meter to low rate of drying.

Thanks guys! Lucky I bumped into this thread.
Rgds,

okay thanks all for the helpful information..

now my dry box is at around 35% after opening and closing for a couple of time..

I think it is good to invest in a electric powered dry box instead of silica gel to protect your precious equipment ;)

mine's electronic.

lowest was 22%.

had some silica gel insides well.

didnt abt the lubricants drying up.

Will re-adjust.

;p

hmm my dry box can never go below 45% and once it open it will shoot up to 55% and it will takes about 1 night to go back down to 48%, to get 45% i cannot open the box for a least 3 days. Never know that it can do below 20%.

haha then i guess its the celica gel beads that are making that happen..
u could try to reheat them in the microwave to let them absorb more moisture..:D

Status
Not open for further replies.