Dry box Humidity level too low

Rodimus

Oct 11, 2011
I have recently just started using Dry Box with Silica Gel. However, the humidity level keeps dropping below 10%. Is there any method that you experienced guys out there use to keep dry box at 40% - 55%? Would appreciate if there's any tips. Thanks a million.

i guess many will give u this comment. " Go get a dry cabinet". buy the 30L one.. its only less than $130.

i guess many will give u this comment. " Go get a dry cabinet". buy the 30L one.. its only less than $130.

Check the amount of your silica gel, it could be too plenty. Or leave your dry box open in a while to get some humid air inside until you reached your desired level. Check the meter, do the hygrometer salt calibration test... and seriously i gotten tired of doing all this so i bought my 30L dry cabinet, and never looked back since then...

I have recently just started using Dry Box with Silica Gel. However, the humidity level keeps dropping below 10%. Is there any method that you experienced guys out there use to keep dry box at 40% - 55%? Would appreciate if there's any tips. Thanks a million.

This is one of few main reason why many would spend that 100+ on a dry cabinet.

Too much silica gel = too dry (maybe < 10? like what you are experiencing).
Too little silica gel = no use and you will see the lens's nemesis (fungus) (e.g. >60?)

To find the correct amount, you will have to trial and error. Not forgetting that silica will eventually be "soaked" up and you will need to replace them or heat them up. When it's soaked up, your "just nice" amount of silica will become not of much use.

yup I think dry cabinet is your best choice.... one time pain =)

Change to a dry cabi, it's cheaper in e long run
Doesn't use much electricity n it's less tedious
Time saved = money saved =x

I think I will move towards dry cabinet pretty soon. It's just that I just started out, so I thought a box will be good enough since I only got 1 lense
and the body to keep. In the end, I managed to mantain a 40% humidity. Thank You for your kind inputs.

You might want to try using thirsty hippo instead of silica gel.
Pros
Don't have to change so often
Don't have to worry that need to heat up after being soaked
Quite cheap

Cons
Unable to control amount of thirsty hippo as it comes in packs so amount used will depend on the size of your dry box.
Just my thoughts

Last edited:
Or try those dehumidifier tat is sold in daiso thirsty hippo lookalike keep the humidity in my dry box ard 48% cheap n gd alternative to thirsty hippo

Rodimus said:

Bro, buy a dry cabinet instead. Dun be like me forget to check my dry box end up send 2 of my lenses for servicing paying $200 and spend another $200 to buy 60L dry cabinet in the end.

Cons
Unable to control amount of thirsty hippo as it comes in packs so amount used will depend on the size of your dry box.
Humidity can be controlled to a certain extend. Just don't remove the cover foil completely, only half and flip it over, then put the plastic cover back. This way you only expose half the surface of the drying agent.

I don't trust the hygros in these dry boxes that's why I have mini digital ones stashed inside my boxes. I have two and both give very different reads compared to the digital ones.

Anyways, like most have suggested, it would be better if you get a dry cabinet. It's far more accurate and ideal for future equipment upgrades. Keep your box for overseas trips.

Gikens said:
Bro, buy a dry cabinet instead. Dun be like me forget to check my dry box end up send 2 of my lenses for servicing paying $200 and spend another $200 to buy 60L dry cabinet in the end.

Yikes. What happened?

digitalpimp said:
Yikes. What happened?

2 of lenses the have fungus. As wat I was told last time. If there are fungus in ur lens and u did not get it remove or service and if u still keep shooting with it. It will spread to ur camera. It will cost it even more to service ur camera body.

Gikens said:
2 of lenses the have fungus. As wat I was told last time. If there are fungus in ur lens and u did not get it remove or service and if u still keep shooting with it. It will spread to ur camera. It will cost it even more to service ur camera body.

If I would bought the dry cabinet in the first place I dun have to spend extra $200 for servicing to get fungus remove. I can put tis $200 in very good use like help to fund the next item I intend to buy.:(

Fungus only develops where the conditions are suitable. If your camera sees the sun more often than some lenses then chances are very low that fungus can develop in the cam. The spores are there anyway (since they are airborne and around us all the time).