Dry box for ya cam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

Apr 10, 2002
Sembawang
Visit site
Well guys... my exhuasted G2 is now kept inside e original box but I'm pretty worried that fungus will grow inside e lens & such.. juz like my inherited Nikon FM SLR.

So izzit better if I get myself a dry box?? Any recommendation??

Phil

If you do not intend to invest in a small dry cabinet that cost around 100bucks, then the alternative would be to get a dry box
for 40bucks or more if its bigger and fill up to 2cm worth of silica gel.

But do consider a long term investment of a small dry cabinet as it is just a little bit more to fork out than a medium dry box.

Originally posted by JasK
If you do not intend to invest in a small dry cabinet that cost around 100bucks, then the alternative would be to get a dry box
for 40bucks or more if its bigger and fill up to 2cm worth of silica gel.

But do consider a long term investment of a small dry cabinet as it is just a little bit more to fork out than a medium dry box.

Hmmm... cabinet need 2 run on electricity rite?? Yucks...

Phil

why yuks? cant spare some electricity? heh eh this is the best, think long term.

Frankly, i feel that dry boxers in singapore are so costly.
Not like i used to be able to get it in taiwan so cheaply, big one somemore.

Originally posted by JasK
why yuks? cant spare some electricity? heh eh this is the best, think long term.

Frankly, i feel that dry boxers in singapore are so costly.
Not like i used to be able to get it in taiwan so cheaply, big one somemore.

Waste electricity leh. I saw some dry cabinet @ Carfour goin @ less than 100 bucks... dunno good or not leh.. Think my wife not goin 2 like e idea man...

Phil

walau doesnt take much electricity lah, wont waste money lah
power consumption low, only 4 watts.

carrefour price is very reasonable. else peniasular plaza 2nd floor beside the collectors shop price is ok.

The electricity bil will definitely be much much cheaper than the silica gel that you are going to buy...and the gas you are going to use to bake/cook/recycle the gel.

Originally posted by Kho King
The electricity bil will definitely be much much cheaper than the silica gel that you are going to buy...and the gas you are going to use to bake/cook/recycle the gel.

Wow... Gel can recycle 1 hah?? Pheeweee...

Ok.. I'm convince.. budget 100 bucks.. recommendation pls!

Phil

Originally posted by Phil

Wow... Gel can recycle 1 hah?? Pheeweee...

Ok.. I'm convince.. budget 100 bucks.. recommendation pls!

Phil

Yes. But you need to recycle them before they turn red for too long. If you leave them in red condition for let say about a month, then they are useless. Within a week they turn red, you just use cook them...or bake them in oven. Once the water inside the gel dissipate, they will turn blue again.

Do note that silica gel are poisonous. DON'T USE YOUR MUM'S POT TO COOK THEM...!

Do note that silica gel are poisonous. DON'T USE YOUR MUM'S POT TO COOK THEM...!

Yum yum!!!! wahahhaaa... kidding. tx 4 e info.

Phil

actually you think it's worth the toxic risk? Carrefour is just selling the silica gel for $4 a bottle... one bottle can use for quite a few months if you don't leave the box open for long periods of time.

i also bought the dry cabinet from Carrefour... $88, half price promo from original price of $168. can consider... it's not bad and the construction's quite sturdy.

Originally posted by firefox13
actually you think it's worth the toxic risk? Carrefour is just selling the silica gel for $4 a bottle... one bottle can use for quite a few months if you don't leave the box open for long periods of time.

i also bought the dry cabinet from Carrefour... $88, half price promo from original price of $168. can consider... it's not bad and the construction's quite sturdy.

Silica gel might be good if you are leaving your gear in an air tight box for a few months without opening it. However, if you wanna play around with your gear often, then the silica gel will turn red in a week time. So...the cost of using silica gel is very much expensive now if you keep buying and not recycle them. Btw...be enviromental friendly by recycle...right? U wouldn't get toxic if you are careful not to mix it with food. It aimn't that toxic, or else you can't even touch it with yout hand...

hmm...... what's the smallest size of a dry cabinet? Cause my house not so spacious.

btw, does this fungus develop on the lens of compact film camera? Cause I have a 2 - 3 years old Nikon compact film camera, no problem with the lens ( i think cause able to shoot and develop nice photos )

Silica gel might be good if you are leaving your gear in an air tight box for a few months without opening it. However, if you wanna play around with your gear often, then the silica gel will turn red in a week time. So...the cost of using silica gel is very much expensive now if you keep buying and not recycle them. Btw...be enviromental friendly by recycle...right? U wouldn't get toxic if you are careful not to mix it with food. It aimn't that toxic, or else you can't even touch it with yout hand...

Wah... now drop 2 a week weeks!! Say if I 1 day open e box once.. how long will it last??

Goin to AP during lunch 2 look c look c...

Phil

Originally posted by revenant
hmm...... what's the smallest size of a dry cabinet? Cause my house not so spacious.

btw, does this fungus develop on the lens of compact film camera? Cause I have a 2 - 3 years old Nikon compact film camera, no problem with the lens ( i think cause able to shoot and develop nice photos )

Sure they will. I have seen compact camera with fungus all over the lens. It depends on the environment you store the cam...

Originally posted by Phil

Wah... now drop 2 a week weeks!! Say if I 1 day open e box once.. how long will it last??

Goin to AP during lunch 2 look c look c...

Phil

I don't know...it depends on how fast you open and close the box...and how much wet air circulate into the box.

My best investment in photographic equipment so far is my drybox. No need to worry about fungus or mold on the xpensive Nikon I spend. I even store watch, film, all sorts of fungus sensitive stuff inside my drybox. When I have a permanent house, I am going to buy a BIG one! You can even store medicson, stamps...books...etc. inside. Get a big one and have some space for your wife/gf and she will not have complaint.

I don't know...it depends on how fast you open and close the box...and how much wet air circulate into the box.

My best investment in photographic equipment so far is my drybox. No need to worry about fungus or mold on the xpensive Nikon I spend. I even store watch, film, all sorts of fungus sensitive stuff inside my drybox. When I have a permanent house, I am going to buy a BIG one! You can even store medicson, stamps...books...etc. inside. Get a big one and have some space for your wife/gf and she will not have complaint.

I think my wife is gonna skin me alive if I get a big 1.. hahaha.. my fren who is looking 4 one oso dun like e idea of a electric try box.

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.