Dry box for ya cam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have shortlisted e following brand/model.

1. Akarui @ $189 from CP - 56L, 5 yrs warranty, free delivery, Made-in-Jap
2. Digi-cabi @ $128 from ??? - 30L, 5 yrs warranty (same as e $99 model from Carrefour but now sold out), Made-in-TW
3. Am-pro @ $88 from Carrefour - 30L, 1 yr warranty, Made-in-SG

I wan quality + reliability. so wat u guys think?

Phil

Originally posted by Phil
I have shortlisted e following brand/model.

1. Akarui @ $189 from CP - 56L, 5 yrs warranty, free delivery, Made-in-Jap
2. Digi-cabi @ $128 from ??? - 30L, 5 yrs warranty (same as e $99 model from Carrefour but now sold out), Made-in-TW
3. Am-pro @ $88 from Carrefour - 30L, 1 yr warranty, Made-in-SG

I wan quality + reliability. so wat u guys think?

Phil
i think the digi-cabi is still available at Carrefour if i'm not wrong... thought i saw it there just a few days ago. but frankly i don't see much difference between that one and the Am-Pro one for $88.

the akarui one is quite value-for-money if you consider the size... guess it boils down to how much equipment you have. but one factor you have to consider is the power of the dehumidifier unit in the cabinet. i would think you need a slightly more powerful unit (or 2 units in one cabinet), otherwise it's just a bigger box with the same motor.

just my 2 cents worth. :D

Well I wouldn't go for the Am-Pro anymore after my bad experience. Someone in another post I started in Newbies Corner seems to experience the same thing that I did.

If your budget allows, go for the more expensive brand. You are more assured of a longer guarantee and robustness of the system. It's a mistake I made. I guess you get what you pay for!

Hi folks..

I got e Digi-cabi after having another round of close look...

The Akarui is big @ 56L but it doesn't comes /w magnetic door... plus CP would oni deliver by next Sat. As 4 e Am-pro.. I find e quality & build not as good as Digi-cabi.. Ampro is using plastic shelf & stab which e former r all in metal. Another plus pt which I like is e rubber coating 4 on e surface. This can prevent scretches & etc IMHO.. Very funny thing is it comes /w a Cisco Security power adaptor??

Last but not least.. I got it @ 110 & Carrefour definitely ran out of that...

You might want to consider getting a seperate hygrometer too. The one on the dry cabinet is often not calibrated properly.

Originally posted by ziploc
You might want to consider getting a seperate hygrometer too. The one on the dry cabinet is often not calibrated properly.

eh...how much for one... where to get it?

Originally posted by darr

eh...how much for one... where to get it?

I bought my digital hygrometer from HomeFix at $36. I heard Giants got one selling <$30. Alternatively, you can just temporary borrow from someone as once you properly calibrated the one on the cabinet, you don't really need it any more (both of the hygrometers on my dry cabinets are quite accurate once calibrated).

IMHO, it's better to buy a cabinet bigger than u expect at the present moment. Your stuff load will probably increase as time goes by and buying a small one only means you'll have to buy another one next time.

56L is not considered big to me. But I find any smaller like 40L or so, I'll use up the space in no time. No magnetic door is not a big problem in design. Just use the key to open or close it. No hassle.

Juz a survey...

Waz e PH u guys r setting... I once got my box @ 45 but set it up 2 50 coz its pretty low IMHO..

Heres wat I got in e box.

1. Cannon G2 + remote + charger
2. 2 x CF
3. Photo album + negatives
4. VHS tape
5. DVDR + CDR
6. Sound meter

Phil

zapp! said:
Is it really that POISONOUS...
Silica gel is an oxide of silicon...gotta be one of the most stable things on the face of the earth...chemically inert...unless u swallow it or breathe in fine particles...

Any chemists here to verify?

read somewhere that the poisonous part is the cobalt chloride that shows up as the red/blue pigment in the silica gel. actual s.g. is whitish in colour by itself. since cobalt is a heavy metal, you wouldn't want to place it in your mouth or food....

elutris said:
actually, i recently bought "thirsty hippo" for my wardrobe. have a few left over and might consider placing it in my dry box ( not cabinet! ) to store my video tapes.

I don't know what kinda chemical is in there though. But if it's ok for everyday use, I guess it's not that bad? 3 Boxes costs around $12++ I think. And it lasts till quite long.

thirsty hippo could be powered by calcium chloride powder.

Hmm.. I'd like a recommendation for a dry cabinet.. I have a EOS 300, EF 28-90, EOS 888 EF 38-76, and A70 with other accessories.. how many litres would be sufficient for now?? And also, what would be the approximate cost?? heh..
thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.