Dry box for Lx3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yongkun

Dec 9, 2009
Hi guys how do you all maintain your LX3. Do you all put it in a dry cabinet? was thinking of creating a DIY dry box (air tight box with the sillica beads)

anyone know where i can get packets of the sillica beads?

toyogo in Toa Payoh - Plastic Container heaven

Daiso - tons at low cost but not the tight seal type

plus your rechargeable "silca jel" thingy from clubsnap consumer corner

Hi guys how do you all maintain your LX3. Do you all put it in a dry cabinet? was thinking of creating a DIY dry box (air tight box with the sillica beads)

anyone know where i can get packets of the sillica beads?

I put mine together with my DSLR equipment in the dry cabinet. Silica gels u can get it around $3 at camera shops and photo developing shops.

Great. cause going australia for oversea studies so i can only bring my lumix. not wise to invest in a dry cabi there also. so thinking of DIY

Agree with Fallenphoenix and Anson. You don't need one, especially in Australia where it isn't nearly as humid as S'pore.

That having been said, if you still want to make a DIY drybox, you can buy a Lock&Lock box from any grocery store, and the silica packs can get at HomeFix DIY. They have both disposable (S, M, L sachets), as well as a reusable one that you can microwave or put in the sun to dry out.

Great. cause going australia for oversea studies so i can only bring my lumix. not wise to invest in a dry cabi there also. so thinking of DIY

Where is Aus will you be living? Unless you will be in Darwin or the northern part of Queensland, there is absolutely no need for a dry box :)

One must understand that he primary function of a dry cabinet is to reduce humidity levels in a controlled environment, thus here in SG, it's necessary for storage as SG has very high levels of humidity which is a paradise for fungal growth.

Queensland, St lucia.

But it still does happen, like my colleague's FZ20.

yes strangely it does happen at some rare basis, i used to believe that fungus won't happen on compacts, now i believe after seeing a sony super-zoom H series got inflected with fungus as well...thankfully it didn't happen on my former fz5.

Last edited:
yes strangely it does happen at some rare basis, i used to believe that fungus won't happen on compacts, now i believe after seeing a sony super-zoom H series got inflected with fungus as well...thankfully it didn't happen on my former fz5.

All optics are prone to fungus growth. I've even heard that some put them in dry cabinets also kenna.

How often does your colleague use his/her FZ20? :dunno:

It never happened to my FZ50 before, QC issue on the FZ20? :sweat:

He's usually a weekend snapper and as above stated, all optics are still prone to fungus growth.

You are talking about Australia, not some jungle. Can always DIY another one there. Best wishes to your studies.

Which is why I love to see that meter goes down to 20% and below, keeps the rust at bay too.

All optics are prone to fungus growth. I've even heard that some put them in dry cabinets also kenna.

Which is why I love to see that meter goes down to 20% and below, keeps the rust at bay too.

Too low RH will cause the rubber on your DSLR to dry up and break apart over time. Internal circuitry will also be harmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.