Dry box enquiry..

Status
Not open for further replies.

behyx

Jun 15, 2002
SG
how much is 1?
or if DIY, how much and is there an online guided tutorial on how to build 1?

thxx

Two types :

1. Air tight box. You put silica gel inside and it sucks up the moisture.

2. Electric dehumidifier.

I'd recommend (2) the electric dehumidifier. As for (1) you can pick up any tupperware or other air tight box in NTUC and put silica gel inside. In my experience with the so called dry boxes in the photo shops, they are no more reliable than the cheaper alternatives at the supermarkets.

With (2) electric dehumidifiers, be very careful about what brand you choose. The cheaper ones are usually a hit and miss affair. Yours could be good or could die in 3 months.

I've had bad experiences with the Taiwanese "Tropic Dry" model sold at Ruby and other shops around Peninsula. The service centre told me there was some problem with the design of the power supply - very common in these units. Mine died yet again last week... 2 days after the warranty expired. Price starts from $190++ for the smaller models.

Another brand "AmPro" is sold at Carrefour and some other shops. Many people have been lucky, but there are many many reports of faulty Ampros. So if you think you are lucky, go ahead.

There's another brand "Akarui" sold at Cathay. Not sure how good that is, but I haven't come across negative feedback. Towards the high end, you have the Japanese "Toyo". Bought mine yesterday for $335. Comes with a 5 year warranty.

Originally posted by sriram
Two types :

I'd recommend (2) the electric dehumidifier. As for (1) you can pick up any tupperware or other air tight box in NTUC and put silica gel inside. In my experience with the so called dry boxes in the photo shops, they are no more reliable than the cheaper alternatives at the supermarkets.

With (2) electric dehumidifiers, be very careful about what brand you choose. The cheaper ones are usually a hit and miss affair. Yours could be good or could die in 3 months.

I've had bad experiences with the Taiwanese "Tropic Dry" model sold at Ruby and other shops around Peninsula. The service centre told me there was some problem with the design of the power supply - very common in these units. Mine died yet again last week... 2 days after the warranty expired. Price starts from $190++ for the smaller models.

Another brand "AmPro" is sold at Carrefour and some other shops. Many people have been lucky, but there are many many reports of faulty Ampros. So if you think you are lucky, go ahead.

There's another brand "Akarui" sold at Cathay. Not sure how good that is, but I haven't come across negative feedback. Towards the high end, you have the Japanese "Toyo". Bought mine yesterday for $335. Comes with a 5 year warranty.

the CD compartment in my house have a tube kinda thing that can make the compartment dry so that mould would not grow on the CDs.. (btw, the tube is running on electricity)

so if talking about air-tight box and silica gel, can i buy a air-tight box but i put the tube inside? will it be better this way? cos i've heard about cases whereby the silica gel ruin the whole thing and fungus grow in the cam lenses

There's another brand "Akarui" sold at Cathay. Not sure how good that is, but I haven't come across negative feedback. Towards the high end, you have the Japanese "Toyo". Bought mine yesterday for $335. Comes with a 5 year warranty. [/B]

Hi ,

I am currently using this brand of Akarui for quite a number of years. So far so good ........ it had protected my eqauipment and keep humidity low. Has been functioning all this years without any fuss.

There is a level switch in the interior of the cabinet to set the level of dryness - L,M,H and Auto. So far I ever try to use the auto, but humidity is kept at a level above 40, which is not what i want. I put it to H all the time and it always keep it low to 30.

Originally posted by ziyter

Hi ,

I am currently using this brand of Akarui for quite a number of years. So far so good ........ it had protected my eqauipment and keep humidity low. Has been functioning all this years without any fuss.

There is a level switch in the interior of the cabinet to set the level of dryness - L,M,H and Auto. So far I ever try to use the auto, but humidity is kept at a level above 40, which is not what i want. I put it to H all the time and it always keep it low to 30.

thanks and how much is this Akarui dry box you are using?

If your RH is so low (30%) you're likely to end up with problems. I have seen the lubricants in lenses drying up due to low humidity, and if you store slides/negs, they may warp. The recommended setting is around 45-55%.

If your RH is so low (30%) you're likely to end up with problems. I have seen the lubricants in lenses drying up due to low humidity, and if you store slides/negs, they may warp. The recommended setting is around 45-55%.

Oh ....is it ? I am not aware of that. Btw, what do u mean by wrap ?

Originally posted by behyx

thanks and how much is this Akarui dry box you are using?

how much it is selling now i dun know ...... but i bought it for about $200 odd about few years back.

by the way, how to tell if the lubricant had dry up or not ?

:gbounce:

by the way, how to tell if the lubricant had dry up or not ?
The lens will squeal or be stiff when focusing or zooming.

Oh ....is it ? I am not aware of that. Btw, what do u mean by wrap ?
wARp, not wrap. Negs can curl up if it is too dry unless kept flat using a weight.

Two types :

anyone using AmPro? can give some advise? i am considering to get from carrefour but saw this, a bit worry liao.... :confused:

Originally posted by chenwei

anyone using AmPro? can give some advise? i am considering to get from carrefour but saw this, a bit worry liao.... :confused:

by the way, how much is Carrefour selling ? how many litres ?

by the way, how much is Carrefour selling ? how many litres ?
carrefour only selling 40L n above for Am-Pro, where the price is not cheap in fact (over 100+). there is another brand digicabi got 20L ($79.9) and 30L (if i didn't remember wrongly is 30L.... $99)

nearby carrefour there is a shop called alley photo selling Am-Pro 38L at $99.

Status
Not open for further replies.