Dry box/cab. NEED HELP ASAP

dashbodz

Dec 30, 2009
hi i bought a new camera few months back and ignored to buy dry box.

finally i woke up when the 18-55 kena fungus....( how can i repair it, can the warranty cover it)

so now i wanna get a dry box/cab.

i looked around the forum and internet but dint found a exact answer for my need. so i ask it here.

the thing is i take photos everyday(doing a 365 project) so i will mostly bring the camera out the whole day. and in the night it will be at home. right now i just leave the camera and lens in the bag.

in total i have 3 lens but most of the time i only bring out 1 or 2 lens out so at any point of the day there is always a lens at home in a plastic container

i only have $50 and i dont mind spending it all on a dry box/cab to protect my equipment.

so guys wat do u recommend me.. i was thinking of DIY a dry box but i heard its hard to control the RH (is tat true or it can be easily controlled) will it affect if i everyday open the dry box..

other alternative i was thinking was get a DRY CAB. i know $50 very hard to get but i saw a few ppl selling a small dry cab. at $50 it should be fine since my equipment not tat much and i dont think it will grow a least for a year. happy with the lens i have now.

so guys pls help me out here by giving ur suggestion and any other ideas u have.

thanks in advance really appreciate the help.

Last edited:
hi i bought a new camera few months back and ignored to buy dry box.

finally i woke up when the 18-55 kena fungus....( how can i repair it, can the warranty cover it)

so now i wanna get a dry box/cab.

i looked around the forum and internet but dint found a exact answer for my need. so i ask it here.

the thing is i take photos everyday(doing a 365 project) so i will mostly bring the camera out the whole day. and in the night it will be at home. right now i just leave the camera and lens in the bag.

in total i have 3 le,dns but most of the time i only bring out 1 or 2 lens out so at any point of the day there is always a lens at home in a plastic container

i only have $50 and i dont mind spending it all on a dry box/cab to protect my equipment.

so guys wat do u recommend me.. i was thinking of DIY a dry box but i heard its hard to control the RH (is tat true or it can be easily controlled) will it affect if i everyday open the dry box..

other alternative i was thinking was get a DRY CAB. i know $50 very hard to get but i saw a few ppl selling a small dry cab. at $50 it should be fine since my equipment not tat much and i dont think it will grow a least for a year. happy with the lens i have now.

so guys pls help me out here by giving ur suggestion and any other ideas u have.

thanks in advance really appreciate the help.

Hi a dry cabinet would be advisable. But a dry box will do as well.

I am curious the 18-55 lens is the one u always use or the one u left in a plastic container ?

there are many many many threads this forum on this issue, eg drybox vs dry cabinet, fungus lens, where to send for clearing but you chose not to read it, what else can other say about it?

anyway, it seem you don't really bother to spend a little effort to take care your own camera, a drybox is not the right choice for you.

just get a dry cabinet, just need to open and close the door, take out and keep the camera, it won't take too much efforts, seem it is more suitable for you.

As for the lens you can bring it to your camera lens brand service centre for cleaning or you can ask for the services of one of our bros here. I forgot his nick haha

cleaning isn't covered under warranty. actually i thought if the camera and lens is used everyday it wouldn't grow fungus? or is the 18-55 the one which is always in the container?

cleaning isn't covered under warranty. actually i thought if the camera and lens is used everyday it wouldn't grow fungus? or is the 18-55 the one which is always in the container?

yeah man the 18-55 is one that i hardly use.

hmmm alright than thanks for those who replied seems like dry cab. fit more for me.

there are many many many threads this forum on this issue, eg drybox vs dry cabinet, fungus lens, where to send for clearing but you chose not to read it, what else can other say about it?

anyway, it seem you don't really bother to spend a little effort to take care your own camera, a drybox is not the right choice for you.

just get a dry cabinet, just need to open and close the door, take out and keep the camera, it won't take too much efforts, seem it is more suitable for you.

thanks for the reply catchlights yeah i dint gave much attention the the gear. learnt my lesson now will put in more effort from now on.

For $50 budget get a Tupperware or biscuit tin & buy silica gel.

dry cab is better for long-term purposes.

and hrm, you need to expand your budget beyond $50.

thanks for the reply catchlights yeah i dint gave much attention the the gear. learnt my lesson now will put in more effort from now on.

Ic ya la cannot keep lens In plastic container , fungus grow in containers , dark areas where air flow not free and no light . Best way is to get dry cabinet and I advise to get a 68 litre one :)

Ic ya la cannot keep lens In plastic container , fungus grow in containers , dark areas where air flow not free and no light . Best way is to get dry cabinet and I advise to get a 68 litre one :)

Haha or even bigger, believe me, they fill up faster than you think.

Haha or even bigger, believe me, they fill up faster than you think.

Haha ya if you Kenna the BBB virus then 100 litremalso not enough lol