Dry Box at Carrefour

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaipium

Feb 3, 2002
Braddell
Visit site
There is a $88 dry box in Carrefour. Wonder how is the quality and reliability?

Anyone has any idea?

upz...anybody got any feedback? Thinking of getting it to keep my Uzi.....

got mine at $99 from careefour too last year...

it's size is 30L if I am not wrong. quality... well, it does keep the humidity down and it has not broken down since i bought it.

it does not have roll out shelves though.

remember to get your warrenty from carrefour when you buy it. get it at the electronics counter after you paid for it.

went carrefour jut now to take a look. Felt that the 30L version at $88 is a bit too small. Would have prefer the 40L version but it was not on offer at $168.

Probably wait for a better offer for the bigger model.

Hello,

Here's what I can fit into this 30L dry cabinet.

bottom shelf
F80 body with attached Tokina 28-80 F2.8 lens
MB-16 battery pack

middle shelf
2 Nikon FE bodies
1 Canon Powershot G1
2 flash guns

top shelf
Nikkor 135mm F3.5 lens
Nikkor 50mm F1.8 lens
Nikkor 28mm F2.8 lens
Nikkor 28-80 G lens
3-4 filters
3-4 CF cards
lots of batteries

Thats for me. But if you have the means of getting a larger cabinet then please do. This is just a cheap alternative for me. Had to save to get lens.

BTW, why not get two 30L cabinets? $88 x 2 = $176. Then you will have 60L instead of getting the 40L for $168. Just my thoughts. Cos this is what I intend to do when I run out of space in my current 30L cabinet.

hmm..... how does a dry box looks like huh?

no need electricity to run it right?

dam cannot find a image online. anyway it's basically a transparent box with lid that's lined with rubber and airtight sealing buckets.... you can go to any decent camera shop at Peninsula or AP. they should have some to display. not very expensive too... average size one (for mabbe a single SLR with some lens) would cost about $40+. anything bigger and you're probably better off getting a dry cabinet.

and yes no need electricity. just pour in some silica gel balls (or tea leaves, i just found out), which can also get from most camera or film shop (even Kodak Express type). when the blue balls turn light purple or red, it's time to put in new ones.

Originally posted by elutris
BTW, why not get two 30L cabinets? $88 x 2 = $176. Then you will have 60L instead of getting the 40L for $168. Just my thoughts. Cos this is what I intend to do when I run out of space in my current 30L cabinet.

Maybe running two dry cabinet will cost more electricity bil...

Ok... been running around 4 e whole evening...

Heres wat I have in mind...

1. Akarui 56L @ CP goin 4 $189 + 5 years warranty + delivery
2. Digi-Cabbi 30L @ Pennisula 2nd floor goin @ $128 + 5 years warranty (Carrefour selling $99 but out of stock)
3. Am-pro 30L @ Carrefour goin 4 $88 + 1 year warranty

Main priority is quality... not too ex & reliable. Currently thinking of throwing my G2 + self cut DVD-R in oni..

Phil

Thinking of getting a dry cabinet myself. Any good recommendations? Whats the main advantage of a cabinet over a box? Trust that the cabinet is the one that requires a power supply?

Originally posted by elutris

Yes, it is better to get two 30L if you need 60L space. The advantages are:

1. Cheaper.
2. Two desiccators, one in each dry cabinet, that can be independently adjusted. You can set diffrent RH% for each to store different things (eg. one for photography equipment and the other for tapes/vcd/dvd).
3. One can be used for keeping less used items while the other the often used ones.
4. Can be put at different location if needed.
5. Can sell off one if you don't need so much space in the future (unlikely right? :))

For myself, I have 2x Akarui 56L cabinet. ;p

Carrefour selling Am-pro 30L at $80 now! Guess I'll get it soon.

Anyway, I suppose there's some settings for the dry cabinet right? What settings should we use? I heard that if you keep the box too dry, things like rubber will start to crack! :eek:

Originally posted by Gr|ever
Anyway, I suppose there's some settings for the dry cabinet right? What settings should we use? I heard that if you keep the box too dry, things like rubber will start to crack! :eek:

Adjust that knob till you get a steady 45% to 55% on a calibrated hydrometer. Mine is set at somewhere higher than "M".

PS - I think I repeated these for God knows how many times already. :D

Originally posted by mervlam
Adjust that knob till you get a steady 45% to 55% on a calibrated hydrometer. Mine is set at somewhere higher than "M".

PS - I think I repeated these for God knows how many times already. :D

I'm sorry... :dunno:

Hi Gr|ever,

The unit in the dry cabinet that removes moisture is called a desiccator and there is usually a knob on it for you to adjust the desired amount of relative humidity (%RH). The meter that shows the %RH is called the hygrometer, and you normally need to calibrate it with a seperate digital hygrometer as some of them are not calibrated properly. For photography equipment the recommended %RH is about 45-55%. So what you need to do is to adjust the desiccator until the hygrometer reading is between 45-55%. Hope that helps.
:)

Originally posted by Gr|ever
I'm sorry... :dunno:

dont be sorry... that's a punt :D Good luck on your purchase!

Status
Not open for further replies.