drunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stupidbloke

Jan 12, 2007
_DSC9556-1.jpg

hi guys. called this drunk. cause a) bottle has been drunk b) drunk fella broke it

so thought i play with the theme of being drunk/drinking/beer and the actions that follow.

used a very thin dof to depict the narrowed/blurred vision one has and also to pull attention to my subject. the broken bottle.

shot with my 50 prime at 1.4.

thanks in advance for the Cnc cheers

will be better if u can position the bottle such that the label is facing the film plane.

i thought of that as well. but then i didnt want it to be so blatant as that because the bottle in its self is pretty obvious what it is. ie a beer bottle.

The bottle is at an awkward angle, it took a while for me to realise the right end is the bottom half peeking out from behind. You are right not to pose it too blatant, it's not a beer ad.

However it has to attract the viewer, so add some sizzle (my teacher liked to say). The common/typical aspects of a 'drunk': dirty, scruffy, vomit, etc. The picture above is very clean, compositionally and technically. Concept not taken to the fullest, just adding traces of beer would bring out 'drunk' a little more. You are also missing the 'drunk fella' mentioned. Viewers would be most interested in seeing the human element. Standard ways to add grit would be to use noise/large grain. Clean images always look sterile, together with thin dof, anything else that can add to the image is lost.

You do need more elements in the image to bring out your concept. Bring on the supporting cast.

Poor background. Confusing colours, blur images, does not add to the concept. Alley ways, neon lights, large angry men, bar ladies, etc -> drinking/drunk. It's fine to be different and do something else, the key of course is that it must work.

The bottle is at an awkward angle, it took a while for me to realise the right end is the bottom half peeking out from behind. You are right not to pose it too blatant, it's not a beer ad.

However it has to attract the viewer, so add some sizzle (my teacher liked to say). The common/typical aspects of a 'drunk': dirty, scruffy, vomit, etc. The picture above is very clean, compositionally and technically. Concept not taken to the fullest, just adding traces of beer would bring out 'drunk' a little more. You are also missing the 'drunk fella' mentioned. Viewers would be most interested in seeing the human element. Standard ways to add grit would be to use noise/large grain. Clean images always look sterile, together with thin dof, anything else that can add to the image is lost.

You do need more elements in the image to bring out your concept. Bring on the supporting cast.

Poor background. Confusing colours, blur images, does not add to the concept. Alley ways, neon lights, large angry men, bar ladies, etc -> drinking/drunk. It's fine to be different and do something else, the key of course is that it must work.

hey man. thanks so much. when i shot this i didnt really have a theme in mind. but i do see where you are coming from and i agree i didnt really bring on the supporting cast. just like football photography is a team sport all the elements have to come together to make a picture work.

did adjustments. how do u guys think this is better? (idk if its against the rules)

_DSC9556-1-1.jpg

btw u do have this thing for grainy pictures right?

nice effect! i like it!
But i won't call it "drunk". MAybe u might want to use it in the advertisement for " You break like this bottle if you drink and drive"?
hehe....hope u are not offended.

Hmm ... with that SFX and idea from charmingorion, I see a poster with the headline:

SHATTERED LIVES!

Then mabbie add in a bit more chaos like glass shards and a body on the ground with a smashed up motorbike body and bike all OOF.

i tink it maybe a good ad... drunk driving :p

i would call it the bottle neck though...

but i'd bet no one here except me has read "The Bottle Neck" by Has Christan Andersen. its a children's story btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.