dropped my camera:(((

milkystick

Jan 29, 2012
hi all! am a newbie here! awhile ago, i brought my nikon d5000 out to take photos! suddenly,my camera just dropped onto the floor!! i was like 'omg,how did it happened!?' then i realised it was because the camera strap became loose! now i feel so worried,that there might be any faults! i did test out my camera after that and took out the lens to see if the mirror etc was broken,it seems to be fine though!

yes,it was a mistake on my part,i should have check everything before i brought it out! so my question here is,is there any part of the camera i should look out for to see if there's any fault? the lens was intact too btw.

thank you all for ur reply in advance. i still feel so bad now though!:( sigh.

normally it's the lens' focus ring that gets damage

check the autofocus to see if it's accurate

Ouch. I feel for you.

Which part hit the floor? Examine that for damage. If it seems to operate ok, it prob is.

The lens is the high risk item. If you didn't hit that, chances it's ok. The body is plastic n it helps in absorbing the impact

Is it a hard concrete or tiled floor. Wooden is less damaging.

Photoart: Hey I've just checked the autofocus! seems to be alright! Thanks for the advice! :)

Ouch. I feel for you.

Which part hit the floor? Examine that for damage. If it seems to operate ok, it prob is.

The lens is the high risk item. If you didn't hit that, chances it's ok. The body is plastic n it helps in absorbing the impact

Is it a hard concrete or tiled floor. Wooden is less damaging.

Hey! Yeah man, it sure feels bad!
If i remember correctly, it was the side of the body that landed on the floor first, thus resulting in some scratches and marks on a few knobs. Sigh, the body was in such a mint condition before this happened! I bought it in BnS section somemore!
Hai, this happened when I was crossing the carpark, which means its hard concrete floor!!!
But I guess cosmetic wise doesn't really matter since i am not going to resell this camera! just hope that the camera is not faulty, so far I've checked everything, seems to be alright!

If u still can shoot wit ur cam then everything should be alright.. I can bring to NSC for a check too..

Yeah my camera still works fine! so i guess should be alright? i wish i can bring to nsc, but the camera has no warranty already! so...i shall just leave it then! as long as it works fine!

Don't worry so much. Cameras are not made of tofu. They're tougher than you think.

im back using the neckstrap...and yeah..everytime b4 i use i always 'pull' the strap to make sure its stays there.

well thats my golden rule for myself.haha.

Check how you have tied the strap to the cam. Such straps don't come loose, unless done in the wrong way.

If its working then all should be well. Hopefully the only damage is just cosmetic. Since you're out of warranty anyway, no need to worry too much. Just carry on shooting, and if anything crops up, bring it down to NSC or other shops to get it checked. :)

Might want to check how you did the straps though, which I presume is the Nikon neck strap? As far as I know, I haven't heard of anyone's straps coming loose, as what Octarine mentioned.

Octarine said:
Check how you have tied the strap to the cam. Such straps don't come loose, unless done in the wrong way.

Indeed, when placed properly, the weight of the camera will tighten the strap, and also the strap is made with those undulating stitches to hold them together.

When I dropped mine, my 50 f/1.8 bore all the damage!

albertsy2 said:
When I dropped mine, my 50 f/1.8 bore all the damage!

Ok la, 50mm 1.8 is cheap cheap lens. Better than a more expensive lens boring the damage........

milkystick said:
hi all! am a newbie here! awhile ago, i brought my nikon d5000 out to take photos! suddenly,my camera just dropped onto the floor!! i was like 'omg,how did it happened!?' then i realised it was because the camera strap became loose! now i feel so worried,that there might be any faults! i did test out my camera after that and took out the lens to see if the mirror etc was broken,it seems to be fine though!

yes,it was a mistake on my part,i should have check everything before i brought it out! so my question here is,is there any part of the camera i should look out for to see if there's any fault? the lens was intact too btw.

thank you all for ur reply in advance. i still feel so bad now though!:( sigh.

There's always a first time for everything.

Lesson learnt is always check your strap before using the camera everytime.

yes all, i have already adjusted and secured the strap!!!! but i kinda still have phobia and dare not put the weight of the camera all on the strap anymore,instead i use my hands to grip the camera onto the side too!

anyway,i want to thank you guys for making me feel better and giving me tips and solutions,really appreciate them! now i've learnt my lesson,will check everything properly before carrying the camera out!

yes all, i have already adjusted and secured the strap!!!! but i kinda still have phobia and dare not put the weight of the camera all on the strap anymore,instead i use my hands to grip the camera onto the side too!

anyway,i want to thank you guys for making me feel better and giving me tips and solutions,really appreciate them! now i've learnt my lesson,will check everything properly before carrying the camera out!

Be it the neck strap or hand strap, like others mentioned, it won't come loose that easily. Neither have mine came loose even when my hand was resting on it while hanged around my neck. So relax :)

ouch sorry to hear this

as others have said, take it out to shoot and make sure all functions are ok

I feel for you and indeed, it leave behind a very bad feeling of dropping camera.

Recently on a overseas trip, I dropped my friend's compact camera and I had it replaced with a new model upon my return. A week ago, I dropped that same brand new camera again! Luckily, the damage was not that great and the service centre was able to fix it and I need not have to pay for a new one again.

Hopefully your camera is fine (internally). Have a friend of mine, she dropped he camera and her kit lens split into 2 parts.