Drop my 8GB MD, and guess what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightning

Sep 2, 2004
Punggol
victor.shutterbug.sg
Well accidentally drop my 8GB MD on my ceremic floor from about 4ft I guess, bounced a few times and then stop. Heart almost drop together as well. But guess what it survived. After the drop I filled the whole disk with data and then format it then filled it with data again. After which I left it on for 1 whole day and then write on it over and over again and it still work. :) *phew*

So I guess for MD to survive a fall is really true. May be the new generation of MD has lots of such shock protection build in.:thumbsup:

Did a test, it takes me 4min plus to copy a 2.5GB worth of video to the MD, and after which to read back the pics from my 10D RAW take 4sec to load. The feel of MD and CF is almost the same to me. :D

lightning said:
Well accidentally drop my 8GB MD on my ceremic floor from about 4ft I guess, bounced a few times and then stop. Heart almost drop together as well. But guess what it survived. After the drop I filled the whole disk with data and then format it then filled it with data again. After which I left it on for 1 whole day and then write on it over and over again and it still work. *phew*

So I guess for MD to survive a fall is really true. May be the new generation of MD has lots of such shock protection build in.

Did a test, it takes me 4min plus to copy a 2.5GB worth of video to the MD, and after which to read back the pics from my 10D RAW take 4sec to load. The feel of MD and CF is almost the same to me. :D

without adding more fuel to the previous discussion in UK's thread...

lightning - u're not the first. my colleague got hold of the pre-production model of the 8GB MD from his family member who works at seagate - both the drive and the 'hockey puck' portable hdd to play with. first thing he did was to throw the MD against the wall. yeah. he did. after all, its pre-production anyway. ;p

guess wat? it survived too. plugged it into his sony F828, and it was good to go. then he decided to test the hockey puck by sliding it across the floor and hit the wall, hard. it survived too.

i'm not saying these are things one shld try with their MDs. but, IMO, it does go to show dat the current seagate photodrives are built to withstand minimal and infrequent mishandlings. ;)

*and, pls, if u disagree, do so somewhere else? i'm not too keen to get all the protagonists in UK's thread back in here to start the flamewar again.* :)

nightwolf75 said:
*and, pls, if u disagree, do so somewhere else? i'm not too keen to get all the protagonists in UK's thread back in here to start the flamewar again.* :)
not_i.gif

Was super worried when it slip off my hand. My first time dropping a MD. My 340MB MD has never been droped. After what you mention, I am really comforted now.

nightwolf75 said:
without adding more fuel to the previous discussion in UK's thread...

lightning - u're not the first. my colleague got hold of the pre-production model of the 8GB MD from his family member who works at seagate - both the drive and the 'hockey puck' portable hdd to play with. first thing he did was to throw the MD against the wall. yeah. he did. after all, its pre-production anyway. ;p

guess wat? it survived too. plugged it into his sony F828, and it was good to go. then he decided to test the hockey puck by sliding it across the floor and hit the wall, hard. it survived too.

i'm not saying these are things one shld try with their MDs. but, IMO, it does go to show dat the current seagate photodrives are built to withstand minimal and infrequent mishandlings. ;)

lightning said:
The feel of MD and CF is almost the same to me. :D

hmm....are u sure?

IF you ever drop the MD again, dun tell me you will not feel worried at all? I will probably do like what u did, scan and scan the drive and read/write a few times and pray that everything will be fine.

But if CF, no worry at all :)

Wai said:
hmm....are u sure?

IF you ever drop the MD again, dun tell me you will not feel worried at all? I will probably do like what u did, scan and scan the drive and read/write a few times and pray that everything will be fine.

But if CF, no worry at all :)

Haha...may be now I am not that worried anymore after the first drop :) I do have friends with failed CF after they drop. Well, may be this is all about luck :) As for now, with the cost per megabyte, I am totally convinced that MD is the way to go. Reliability has gone up lot since it first appeared! I have 3 CF and 2MD in total. As of now. The one that has failed on me is one of the CF. So am I unlucky or CF is not reliable.:dunno:

Wait one day the MD decide to...
crazy_pilot.gif

i guess everyone has their own preference to CF or MD as someone commented (in my degraded thread) it's simliar to buying originals or 3rd parties. Another analogy is $5 starbucks expresso and $0.6 koptiam kopi-o. Kopi-o does it for me but why are there still long queues for expresso? Individual preference spells it.

For me, I buy anything that is forgiving on the wallet. Also, I've got more usage for the MD than just inside the camera. So my bang-for-buck goes another step further :D

kopi-o anyone?
:cheers:

Different Microdrives have different write speed is it? Is it comparable to CF cards that are rated 133X or even 80X? :think:

wrx_sti_22b said:
Different Microdrives have different write speed is it? Is it comparable to CF cards that are rated 133X or even 80X? :think:

not even close...
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-6111

but, as UK said, bang for the bucks, if u dun mind the speed. *kopi sui tai, pls?* ;p

to each his/her own lah, at the end of the day. i dun mind if i'm using it on a holiday. but, not on a paid gig.

I accidentally dropped my 10D before and after it bounced off the floor, it still works with no problems. Would you like to try the same?:bsmilie:

Actually for Harddisk and MD, as long as the impact is not occur during operation then the chances for failure is quite low. As when the disk is not in operation, the "head" will be place at a safe spot. Hence it will not damage the disk inside.
But if you plug out the disk suddenly (while reading / writing) then you drop the MD, then the chance for it to damage will be much higher. As the "head" is directly on the disc surfaces. Hence any impact will scratch the disc itself liao.

write head will go from active to park upon disconnection of power supply in a few mSec.

If you can insert 1500Gs into 0.5mSec you might be able to spoil something.. else during operation you can try giving it 200G into 1ms.

lightning said:

I just got my MD over the weekend and I can confirm that it is equally fast on my camera and similar in speed to my Lexar 80X 2 GB card. I got similar results for both the MD and CF on the computer using USB card reader too.

They are pretty good these days, but don't try dropping it when it's in use.

sriram said:
They are pretty good these days, but don't try dropping it when it's in use.

Wah, that will mean dropping with you cam as well! I think I will drop my heart at the same time when that happen. The MD will not be my worries then!:sweat:

crazypaladin said:
I just got my MD over the weekend and I can confirm that it is equally fast on my camera and similar in speed to my Lexar 80X 2 GB card. I got similar results for both the MD and CF on the computer using USB card reader too.

that's because your D70 and USB card reader are slow...causing a bottleneck

to minimize this bottleneck, u need a camera that can generated very large files in shortest time possible...eg. D2x, 1DsMKII, 1DMKII

For the second test, even firewire card readers are not fast enough, u need a 32-bit card bus reader

Wai said:
that's because your D70 and USB card reader are slow...causing a bottleneck

Understand your point but for a D70 users, who see no appreciable difference in speed, doesn't that really say there is no difference between MD and CF for a D70 user? Would one buy something which his current hardware cannot make use of?

Status
Not open for further replies.