driving up to KL

Status
Not open for further replies.

zekai

May 10, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
Hi Guys, i am planning to drive up to KL for a short weekend trip this weekend.
I am sure many of you have done this countless times b4 so appreciate if you can give me some pointers or anything to watch out for?

also, which map is good for this? (i dun use gps yet)

thanks!

erm.. driving to KL is very easy. just keep going on the NS h'way and follow the signs. It's getting around KL itself that's slightly more challenging.

Like all other long dist trips, becareful at rest points.
Take normal precautions like
- Never leave your vehicle unattended even if it's locked.
- Never leave any thing that "looks valuable" in the open in the car.
- etc..

Driving to KL is extremely easy. Once you take the 2nd link, its just one straight road all the way, with very clear signs.

On the return, don't expect any signs saying Singapore. When you leave KL, you will usually see Seremban, then Melaka and then Johor Bahru. Only when you are very close to Singapore, you will see signboards saying Singapura (Tuas).

You can take a look at this website for more info and maps etc.

http://www.plus.com.my

Some tips :
1. Try to stay in Lane 2 unless overtaking. The speed limit in most places in 110kmph. It can get quite boring after a while and you will be tempted to go faster. Many of the cars driving in Lane 1 go at 150-160kmph. If you drive in Lane 1, you will have to keep watching your rearview mirror every minute and then filter to Lane 2 as there will definitely be a car on your tail within minutes. They just come out of nowhere :bsmilie:
2. Be aware of strong crosswinds in certain parts of the highway. There are signs that warn you of that.
3. Get adequate rest before the drive. Stop every 2 hrs along the way, if you are not used to driving long distances. Both the engine and your body need a break.
4. This is a tip which some friends of mine passed on to me. Hope you never have to face such a situation. If at all, your car is hit from behind (or even touched), don't stop to inspect the damage and instead drive on. I heard that this is a classic way of carjacking employed over there.
5. Have enough Malaysian Ringgit on hand. All the tolls accept only Malaysian Ringgit. Also, don't go into the right lanes of the toll booths. They are reserved for the Touch n Go (as in prepaid cards) method of paying the tolls. Use the left most lanes - which are meant for cash payment.
6. There are lots of R&R stops (I guess every 20-30 kms or so) with usually clean toilets etc. So, no reason for you to stop anywhere on the highway. Stop at one of these R&Rs.
7. The last toll booth you will hit before you enter KL is the Sungei Besi toll. You can easily spot this. There will be the Mines Resort and Palace of Golden Horses Hotel to your right.
8. Check with the hotel where you will be staying in KL and get the directions from there to your hotel. Driving in KL can be quite difficult if you are not used to the roads. Better to park your car in the hotel and use taxis.

Hope this helps.

Driving in KL not that hard la, just have to get used to the style and be very clear on where you are going.. Else.. You will have to drive long distances with no U-turn in sight.

Another tip on the highway, which may not be applicable since the last few times my family drove up there nothing like that happened.. Would be their TP.. =) Certain locations are speedtraps! I'm sure you know what I mean.

and always remember to empty your wallets or just put some ringgit in your wallet, but not too much.

just in case you meet up with some kopi hungry garmet servants along the way....

2 weeks ago, i just came back from KL. guess what i saw... 6-7 singapore cars get caught in one straight row for "speeding" and yah... pple collecting kopi money happily...

no joke about it... if only i had my camera beside me. i would have snapped and posted here. :bsmilie:

places like Melaka - seremban... always kenna...

come back also same thing.... seremban to around kulai.... all the invisible mines and ripper's nest..

and always remember to empty your wallets or just put some ringgit in your wallet, but not too much.

just in case you meet up with some kopi hungry garmet servants along the way....

2 weeks ago, i just came back from KL. guess what i saw... 6-7 singapore cars get caught in one straight row for "speeding" and yah... pple collecting kopi money happily...

no joke about it... if only i had my camera beside me. i would have snapped and posted here. :bsmilie:
you weren't involved to know the full story.. not good to speculate what the real intent was.

watch out for on coming cars flashing their headlights for "no reason" >> this usually means that there is a speed trap ahead so slow down

best way to drive without concern and hassle is to rent a malaysian car

i drove at 150kmh most of the way without issues twice. my dad drove a singapore plated car at 100kmh and got stopped for speeding, without any evidence

the rental company will have your CC details. Any summons sent to the rental company will be charged to your CC by default.

I think about kopi tips and speeding stuff.. it's better to be discussed in car forums. It might get ugly after a few posts.

make sure u get enough sleep the nite before! and watch out for the speedtraps.

thats a lot of useful information.

i intend to leave singapore by 7am. I hope to aviod any jam on a saturday, as I am trying to enter KL city centre by 12. From my past recollection, there is normally a jam around lunch time at the road entering KL.

Plan to leave KL sunday evening around 5pm for Singapore by Tuas.

you guys think its ok?

Sorry to OT a little but where can you buy a Touch n Go card? I find that they are useful if you want to avoid long queues when paying tolls.

Sorry to OT a little but where can you buy a Touch n Go card? I find that they are useful if you want to avoid long queues when paying tolls.

ask your relatives to get for you one in msia lor.. thats what i did... :bsmilie:

I ever in a car that is doing 150km/h or so... & then from behind i saw a trio of Ferrari 550 Maranello, 360 Modena & Lamborghini Murcielargo... all over took me & disappear ahead of me in 7 sec or so... they must do doing twice my speed... :dunno: The whole mountainous area is filled with the Ferrari's F1 like sound... :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

I ever in a car that is doing 150km/h or so... & then from behind i saw a trio of Ferrari 550 Maranello, 360 Modena & Lamborghini Murcielargo... all over took me & disappear ahead of me in 7 sec or so... they must do doing twice my speed... :dunno: The whole mountainous area is filled with the Ferrari's F1 like sound... :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Yeah, I experienced once too. And also the bikers.

I don't know where to get one, but during the F1 period, I saw some people selling a Touch n Go card at the Sungei Besi toll. RM 50 card with RM 40 in it i.e. 10 bucks for the card itself with a stored value of RM 40.

thats a lot of useful information.

i intend to leave singapore by 7am. I hope to aviod any jam on a saturday, as I am trying to enter KL city centre by 12. From my past recollection, there is normally a jam around lunch time at the road entering KL.

Plan to leave KL sunday evening around 5pm for Singapore by Tuas.

you guys think its ok?

On the return, if you are not used to night driving, I suggest you leave KL around 3 PM. That way, you would've covered most of the journey when there would be sufficient light. On an average, if you stay well within the speed limits throughout and take 1 or 2 breaks along the way, the journey time would be around 5 hrs or so. The fact will be that you will not stay within the speed limits :bsmilie: and will be tempted to go faster. its quite a boring drive. at least i feel that way.

oh shucks, i remembered one more tip.

When leaving Singapore, make sure your fuel tank is at least 3/4th full. Otherwise, there is a fine (S$500 ?, not sure of the exact amount). This is to discourage Singapore cars to go empty tank to Malaysia and fill up fuel. Fuel in Malaysia is roughly 1/2 the price as that in Singapore.

Drive safe and have a great trip.

Yeah, I experienced once too. And also the bikers.

Only since then i realise, i mean, see for my own eyes how fast is a Ferrari & you dun call it a Ferrari for nothing... they slow down a bit on the curvy parts... once the road straighten... the 550 Marenello driver really floorr the throttle & the car is really fast... the Lamborghini driver didn't drive so fast.

How do they get away with it? :bsmilie: :bsmilie: Singapore plate cars... not K.L plate cars...

Status
Not open for further replies.