driving on autopilot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wind30

Deregistered
Mar 14, 2004
Just curious,

a couple of times when driving on the expressways in Singapore, I would be like thinking about something else and totally forgot about driving. Then after like 5 mins, realised that I am close to my exit with no recollection of the driving in between....

Is this normal? I am wondering if this is actually dangerous, spacing out like this on the expressways or is it normal. I mean sometimes when the traffic is smooth, there isn't much to notice on the roads anyway...

yup... it's dangerous to let your mind wonder while driving. although the road ahead me seem smooth, you'll never know when an animal might cross the road, other motorists that cut into your lane or some other unexpected events.

sometimes, we as motorists take things for granted lah. smooth traffic doesn't mean no traffic.

wah this is not normal ah :embrass:

I thought is is.... I mean only when the traffic is smooth and you are following another car in the middle lane, esp when I drive from woodlands to AMK during lunch time sometimes...

I always found it pretty amazing I can drive without conscious thoughts :) I can still follow the bends of the expressway, etc...

PS: not on purpose one, it is just that sometimes your mind starts to wonder about other stuff like things at work, the problems not solved so you start to think of a solution while driving, etc..

wah this is not normal ah :embrass:

I thought is is.... I mean only when the traffic is smooth and you are following another car in the middle lane, esp when I drive from woodlands to AMK during lunch time sometimes...

I always found it pretty amazing I can drive without conscious thoughts :) I can still follow the bends of the expressway, etc...

PS: not on purpose one, it is just that sometimes your mind starts to wonder about other stuff like things at work, the problems not solved so you start to think of a solution while driving, etc..

i think you are subconciously aware of your surroundings. but when things take a wrong turn, you might not react fast enough.

what you're doing is akin to falling asleep behind the wheel. Either have yourself checked out or take the bus and don't endanger everyone on the road.

Seriously? You do know its a prosecutable offence to knowingly endanger others? I cant believe this thread is so quiet. Here lives are at stake from reckless driving. If this is happening you should not be driving, putting yourself and innocent lives at risk.

Of course I don't really go totally unconcious lah. It is just that I don't remember much of the drive.

Do you people drive for long distances? sometimes I just don't remember the drive but I can react to traffic conditions and I have NEVER missed my exit so I guess I still know what I am doing. And I when somebody cuts into my lane, I will adjust speed accordingly. I am a pretty safe driver and I don't think I have ever even been in a near accident.

Beside, I don't think my driving is reckless. You can get a TP to tail me lah. Seriously, if I am the reckless driver kind (those that cuts in and out, tail gates road hoggers, etc) I will REMEMBER my drive 100%. It is those cheong drivers that requires 100% concentration as they tailgates, cuts in and out, etc.

I am the more relax kind, I stay in the middle lane, I keep safe distance so I have plenty of time to react and thus can afford to think about other stuff.

Seriously, all of you remember your drive 100% everyday during your commute especially during long distance expressway drive? Sometimes I will listen to radio or think about a problem, etc during my drive.

you guys just drive meh? not boring?

Common, I have seen people drive and talk until they missed their exits. Missing exits is not uncommon and probably worse than what I am describing.

PS: BTW, do you guys drive or not? I am looking for opinons for other drivers.

Of course I don't really go totally unconcious lah. It is just that I don't remember much of the drive.

Do you people drive for long distances? sometimes I just don't remember the drive but I can react to traffic conditions and I have NEVER missed my exit so I guess I still know what I am doing. And I when somebody cuts into my lane, I will adjust speed accordingly. I am a pretty safe driver and I don't think I have ever even been in a near accident.

Beside, I don't think my driving is reckless. You can get a TP to tail me lah. Seriously, if I am the reckless driver kind (those that cuts in and out, tail gates road hoggers, etc) I will REMEMBER my drive 100%. It is those cheong drivers that requires 100% concentration as they tailgates, cuts in and out, etc.

I am the more relax kind, I stay in the middle lane, I keep safe distance so I have plenty of time to react and thus can afford to think about other stuff.

Seriously, all of you remember your drive 100% everyday during your commute especially during long distance expressway drive? Sometimes I will listen to radio or think about a problem, etc during my drive.

you guys just drive meh? not boring?

Common, I have seen people drive and talk until they missed their exits. Missing exits is not uncommon and probably worse than what I am describing.

PS: BTW, do you guys drive or not? I am looking for opinons for other drivers.

see here's the thing: This sounds exactly what someone who caused an accident will say, trying to RATIONALIZE things to himself. This isn't about other people's driving practices. Its yours and it sounds like you're trying to push the blame to other reckless drivers instead of yourself.

aiya....

what do you think I post this thread? I am concerned whether this is dangerous or not or is it normal for most drivers driving on traffic free roads?

I worry about my own safety and that means I also worry about other people.

Although nothing has happened, no near accident, nothing, people cut into my lane I also can react but I am concerned that my mind is wondering off thinking about other things.

Point taken, I will try to keep my mind on the road in the future as it is the right thing to do.

PS: are you guys drivers? cuz none of you seems to understand what I am talking about.

aiya....

what do you think I post this thread? I am concerned whether this is dangerous or not or is it normal for most drivers driving on traffic free roads?

I worry about my own safety and that means I also worry about other people.

Although nothing has happened, no near accident, nothing, people cut into my lane I also can react but I am concerned that my mind is wondering off thinking about other things.

Point taken, I will try to keep my mind on the road in the future as it is the right thing to do.

PS: are you guys drivers? cuz none of you seems to understand what I am talking about.

stop trying to draw attention away from yourself. Even a pedestrian can see what you're doing is dangerous.

stop trying to draw attention away from yourself. Even a pedestrian can see what you're doing is dangerous.

ok so you don't drive. I understand.

What drawing attention away from myself? This thread is ABOUT me! ....

What I am asking is for the opinons of other drivers and whether what happen is understandable, ie other drivers also have their minds wander off during long drives at traffic free expressways.

If it is not normal for other drivers, then I am worried, and I will try to stay focused on the roads at all time, although that is a very tiring way to drive....

What I am asking is for the opinons of other drivers and whether what happen is understandable, ie other drivers also have their minds wander off during long drives at traffic free expressways.

If it is not normal for other drivers, then I am worried, and I will try to stay focused on the roads at all time, although that is a very tiring way to drive....

who says i don't drive? I've certainly never said it. You just ASSUME that i don't. Get off the road before you kill someone.

it's called ''unconscious driving'' phenomenon. there have been records of such instances, but no real conclusions about it as far as i've heard.

This is as dangerous as it gets. During the time you are "out", do you think you can react quickly when something happens or something is developing?

I am truly surprised you do not feel that this is dangerous.

I am truly surprised you do not feel that this is dangerous.

what makes you think I don't feel that it is dangerous? .... errr... then why this thread?

please post your car plate number so that i may avoid you...

Just curious,

a couple of times when driving on the expressways in Singapore, I would be like thinking about something else and totally forgot about driving. Then after like 5 mins, realised that I am close to my exit with no recollection of the driving in between....

Is this normal? I am wondering if this is actually dangerous, spacing out like this on the expressways or is it normal. I mean sometimes when the traffic is smooth, there isn't much to notice on the roads anyway...

what makes you think I don't feel that it is dangerous? .... errr... then why this thread?

I am just responding to your statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.