Drive To JB - Safe

Status
Not open for further replies.

ldft

Nov 15, 2005
Hi All,

Am planning to go into JB over the weekend, and spend a night in a hotel.

Was planning to take the Shuttle train in, but just found out that the service ended on 15 April.

So my question is, if I intend to stay in the Hyatt, is it safe to drive in, park my car in the Hotel carpark, and move around by taxi? Or better to get the bus in?

Your opinions and experiences? Also what's a good place for seafood?

Thanks
:D

Me and my friend drive into JB many many many times. SAFE wan la :cool:
Wear super casual and drive a common car.

All depends on your look and car. Below are a few "NO-NOs"

Flashy lo-lex watch
Ma see dee car
Professional bags that scream "expensive camera inside"
Wife with many jewelery and look like rich tai tai :bsmilie:

just go ahead and drive in. no where is safe and no where is that dangerous.
if you are unlucky, go where also kana.

but just make sure you car is parked in safe place.

The possibility of kanna carjacked in Johor is the same as striking any one of the top 3 prizes in 4D ..... if you start parking anywhere you want and showing off all your expensive cams, mobile, jewelleries, etc... then it is like buying more 4D tickets ...
I believe Hyatt should be ok but I think the carpark is a little away from the lobby in an annex building. If you can, park in the front next to the lobby.
Best of luck! :angel:
Remember if in the morning you cant find yr car, then it probably is in Thailand liao..... :cry:
I think a better method is to take a taxi from the Johor Custom to Hyatt and stay in peace.

depends on what car you drive. My friend's family RX-300 was stolen TWICE but thru some black market connections managed to BUY it back before i crossed the thai border.

Another 2 were Camrys.
One was in the process of stealing when he got spotted in bright day hot afternoon! The owner just parked there for less than 5 mins when he returned to his car to take something he forgot.
The 2nd was parked in his home when the thief was lifting the fence to roll the car out.

All 3 cars were equipped with car alarms but non of them rang. All 3 were JB registered cars as well. Even my JB friends asked me not to visit them in JB, they rather meet in SG. One of them even said "I apologised on behalf of JB" and shook his head.

3rd scenario is that my gf's dad heard his colleague being robbed on the hp. They were struggling to grab his stuff and you can hear the shoutings and all over the hp. Scary..:nono: that alone is enough to put me off JB.

Of course it is "safe" to go in. Everyweekend thousands of cars drive over the causeway. Already said, like buying 4D the more you enter the more chances of winning. Your chances of winning is probably 1 out of 10000.

If i say it is safe, then your car got stolen.. who to blame?

If i say it is not safe, but i wonder you may still go ahead with driving your car with some other reason(too many things, troublesome, wife/gf nag)

then..?

Be streetwise in any place, if one is ignorant and arrogant, she/he is a prey anywhere.

if it's for a day, pay some $$$ to those private car-polishers and they'll take good care of ur car when u do ur shopping....

Thanks for the inputs, jsut want to check, which is more convenient, the Hyatt or Mutiara?

user12343 said:
if it's for a day, pay some $$$ to those private car-polishers and they'll take good care of ur car when u do ur shopping....

what if the car-jackers set up a make-shift polishing stall, collect car, collect $$$, bye bye car :bsmilie:

my friend's neighbour car toyota corolla kena stolen last week :( in jb

wah..seems like all SG registered car are stolen in JB.

then I wonder how come there are still lots of SG car driving through JB custom coming back via Woodland ??

wong_se said:

then I wonder how come there are still lots of SG car driving through JB custom coming back via Woodland ??

drive big cars there,
lost it,
buy cheaper replacement on the spot,
drive back w/ (another) car?

:think:

drive a "lao pok kai" (very old car for those who dont understand) car if you want to drive there. I used to live in JB buty due to the crime rate and traffic jams, moved to Sg. My house got breakin and they manage to wipe out my whole house including my photography gears a few years back during the daytime when I was working. When I reported to police, they came about 10 hours later and extort $$$ from me to solve the case. a few hunderds gone ant till now still no news. The last straw was when my mom got snatched and kicked just a few step outside my house. Tell me how safe is it to be in JB. I mean Sg also got crimes but its not as bad and the men in blue here are more efficient. Now my house in JB is vacant. (can convert to studio)

Just a real account from me to show how "SAFE" JB is. My advise, dont drive there, a cab from custom to Haytt is so cheap cos the distance is so near.

DeSwitch said:
Just a real account from me to show how "SAFE" JB is. My advise, dont drive there, a cab from custom to Haytt is so cheap cos the distance is so near.

My advise...it is not safe at all. Dun even take a cab. the cab driver may turn back to u with a knife on hand. Rob u everything..including your cloth..and drop u along the street as u being naked.

wong_se said:

You are correct. All sg cars are stolen in JB but not all sg cars in JB are stolen. That is why you find cars returning from the woodlands checkpoint. Some even Tuas if you like.

You can try to steal a car in SG if you like. Chances are you wun go very far with it. Stealing a car in sg will hit the tv news like some big case.

I also had friends who had his bike stolen in JB and heard friend's friend's bike that got stolen also.

Not all cars are on their wanted list. They will only steal cars that are in demand, if there's no demand then your car is absolutely safe and even if you drive in flashing all the mods you have they wun even give it a second look.. :think: well.. ok they might be interested in the accessories but at least the car is there.

My colleague's car got broken into at a rest point. They left the car for only less than 5 mins to go to the loo. Everyone around was going about their own business as if nothing happened. It is just that common no one bothers any more.

tink most targetted cars are SUVs like honda CRVs, toyota RAV4s...

Lexus RX300, camry and the older series of corolla are also top of the hit list.

Plan: enjoy the weekend in peace....

Solution: Take public transport, CAB..... Leave your car at home. Play in peace. Although it's like 4D, why take the risk? Just not worth it man...... :nono:

Up till now, I always take cab when I go JB. Unless driving up further north.

It is so dangerous outside of SG, so dont ever leave SG and stay put!

IMHO, Jb Not that dangerous la... went many many times before... just be cautious if you leave your car for long time... then you have to lock it tight lor... If I were the thief... if you put so many locks.. I might as well target other car, cos leceh la..

Low profile is the key... same story as women wear sexy dress at night and walking back street.. aint you asking for trouble if you do?;)

Status
Not open for further replies.