Drip

Status
Not open for further replies.

eel

Aug 14, 2003
Thomson
Visit site
I feel there's something (or maybe a lot of things) missing from this picture to make it work

Drip.jpg

Hope your comments can help me identify it/them and improve:)

eel said:
I feel there's something (or maybe a lot of things) missing from this picture to make it work

Hope your comments can help me identify it/them and improve:)

You know waht's missing?
Its the glob. your glob was not suspended enough in mid air.
if it can be captured in sharpness.......your pic class A liao =)

btw can share which settings you used?

Thanks for that. I'd love to capture the glob but I'm using natural light. My settings are as follows:

Aperture: f5.6 (scared not as sharp if I open bigger and not enough depth)
Shutter speed: 1/200
Exposure compensation: -0.7
Aperture Priority
Focal length: 28mm (macro)
ISO: 1600
Camera: KM 5D
Lens: 28-135mm 4-4.5
PS: Curves, brightness/contrast, shadows/highlights adjusted, USM

actually i am not expert.. but just want to throw this qn out..so that we can invite comments............

theoretically, the faster the shutter snaps.....the more freeze you can get....
so if we adjust the shutter speed to make it faster wouldnt we get to capture the glob in its freeze state?

any experts can comment on that?

My cents worth:

Remove the bottle... kind of distracting
Maybe add a little more to the sink, because the name thing on the inside draws away from the image.. plus a lack of the sink leaves out depth...(maybe even a little bit?)
I think it would be a cool shot if the drop was in focus and not so much the sink.... What was your main thing here, the faucet or the water?
This is a difficult shot to take and you mastered it, with only a few minor details. Good job!

I agree with Paxluv about the bottle and the sink.
First the bottle is distracting. It has no business being there cos it has nothing to do with the shot. Fill up space ah? No la.
Your shuitters was too slow and thus the blurred drop.
The logo of the sink, partly showing, makes the shot look very amaturish.
Overall the shot is under exposed.

Think it's a good effort...not easy taking a shot like this. Getting the blop is the pinnacle of taking a shot like this..not easy though.

Yes, agree..bottle a little distracting..also there's some word below..maybe that can be cropped out.

My 2 cents.

Thanks for all the feedback. Will try again when I get some good sun. And if that's not enough, then when i get a faster lens...

Re-do it and let us know. I am excited to see the results of your next one! :)

i think it would be cheaper to add more light instead of getting a faster lens
with a faster lens you would be tempted to use a faster aperture
which would result in less DOF

Ok here is a second version . It does look more focused now although the droplet is still not as sharp as I'd like it. Decided to leave the words in at the bottom but this time with enough space to breathe. The changes from the previous are:
f4.5 instead of 5.6
1/640 instead of 1/200
Exposure compensation -0.3 instead of -0.7

drip2.jpg

Thanks all for your comments to help this picture along.:D

i prefer it gritty/dirty.

you could shoot at a deeper DOF to capture the texture of the tap. compare 2nd vs 1st and can see the difference. 1st has the entire head sharp, great focus point. the droplet is great as a '!' point.

2nd says everything on the droplet & brand name and nothing on the tap, so i feel it's a bit of a letdown. the tap really fades into the background.

& what's with the brand naming?
product shot? - got the subject focus all wrong then.
Leave the brand name out.

foxtwo said:
i prefer it gritty/dirty.

you could shoot at a deeper DOF to capture the texture of the tap. compare 2nd vs 1st and can see the difference. 1st has the entire head sharp, great focus point. the droplet is great as a '!' point.

2nd says everything on the droplet & brand name and nothing on the tap, so i feel it's a bit of a letdown. the tap really fades into the background.

& what's with the brand naming?
product shot? - got the subject focus all wrong then.
Leave the brand name out.

Looks like got no choice but to add more light to the scene in order to get more DOF and an even faster shutter speed. However, I only have available light to work with so I don't think I can do much more with this pic. The ! is hard to replicate as there is still a bit of shutter lag and each drop is formed slightly differently - much as I'd like it to be too.

I decided to leave the name of the brand in at the bottom as I felt it anchored the pic rather have the tap 'floating' if I cropped it. Personal preference I guess.

Anyway, thanks for the valuable comments. I'll definitely keep it in mind and maybe try again when I figure out how to work around the limitations.

try a tighter crop. try focussing on the mesh and the drip only.

Yes! That might work. Must try to remember that I can always crop more now that I've got more megapix:D Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.