Dresscode for AD Photographer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wormsss

Jun 29, 2007
Hi all,

since you guys are in this business, so have a question for you.

What is the standard dresscode for you when you are shooting an AD?

Reason i asked is that i have just attended a wedding recently and the dresscode of the paid photographer shocked me. She was in 3Q shorts, spag top and a pair of flip-flops for the shooting. Even though, the lunch wedding is in a respected hotel, she was also in the same dresscode. One will take a while to realise that she is the photographer.

Personally, i feel that as a paid photographer (regardless of fees), you will need to have the professionalism to dress at least in jeans, tees/polos and covered shoes for the AD. Even if the wedding is conducted in a HDB covered area, as long as the wedding theme doesn't spell beachwear, he/she should have show the basic respect for the event.

Some of you may think that good skills are more important but i feel that the dresscode will show others how seriously you respect the event and also, about yourself.

i do not want to name this photographer but please, for those who are in this business, please respect the event and dress up for it. Don't spolit the good names of the others.

agree with me?

Agree.

Even though I am not in the high-end league, its pretty standard for me to be in clean jeans that do not have holes/look worn, polo-T with collar that do not look worn, and my bettlebug type shoes.

Banquet would be in black, may wear a blazer if its cold but pretty rare lar due to running around unless I am like sick and on Panadol. :p If its weekdays I would be in pretty good design leather shoes and biz pants.

Not sure if the pricing is true or not, came across a pair of pros (they said) charging 2k range, but in bermudas and slippers during day time....banquet is ok.

I did wear Bettlebug sandals (not slippers) during the day time once, but that was due to really bad rainy weather (whole day rain kinda like can flood anytime type).

There's no such thing as a "standard dress code", and it's really up to the photographer's style. Day shoot can afford to be more casual, but I agree that for the more atas wedding locations, photographer should also dress a bit more properly lah.

yea.. dress proper is to respect the client and the event. dress improper, no matter how good your works are, you'll have a bad reputation. although im not a professional, but i believe in the fact that if you respect others, others will respect you. ;p

dress for the occasion, respect your customers and yourself.

yea.. dress proper is to respect the client and the event. dress improper, no matter how good your works are, you'll have a bad reputation. although im not a professional, but i believe in the fact that if you respect others, others will respect you. ;p

Yes i agree with catchlights and Agent Jx
I think ultimately you're paid to do a particular job
and one is not expected to dress down completely.
Turn the other way round, if it's your own wedding
i reckon you wouldn't like your photographer to wear
short shorts and flip flops. Doesn't look nice for the couple
and even for oneself.

For me, I would normally wear jeans and shirt (smart casual style)

think sg lack the dressing culture. for those who have day jobs... i'm sure you can see some people coming into office in nua nua t shirt and jeans.

i've even seen some coming in in sandals !

is it always a norm for the photog to wear black for the Banquet shots?:think:
(Colour shouldn't be too outstanding from the rest of the guests)

Thinking whether I should get myself a black shirt for just-in-case.

I agree that polo tee, jeans and covered shoes is the best compromise. I don't think it's feasible to wear shirt if the shoot is not entirely in an air-conditioned place. Most of us sweat a lot when shooting, I would rather look less formal than look all sweaty in shirt. Eww!

Personally, I see it as a great opportunity to dress up!! =)

Our clients are always gonna judge us by our appearance. First impression counts so its safer not to screw that bit up. The clients might have met you and are real "pally" with you, but alot of the guests are gonna be seeing you for the first time. You are also gonna attract lots of attention if you over or under dress. As a guide, I try to dress the same as the guests. It always works!

If you are unsure, overdressing is always better than under dressing. I once shot a wedding many years back for a friend and came in berms! I don't know what got into me to think that I might pull it off! I thought I should just go casual cos its only a dinner reception. I was wrong... I had so many eyeballs on me and it wasn't because I was slimmer and better looking then!

At a formal wedding, I personally try to dress sharp whenever possible. Actually, it's the only thing I like and miss about the corporate world before I left it to shoot full time.

If everyone dresses up, so should the photographer... just seems like common sense to dress for the particular occasion. Plus, it's free advertisment for yourself, so why not dress up a bit and look presentable?

Nothing spoils the mood of the wedding more than having people who are inappropriately dressed for the event. This includes the AD photographer. Please, try to dress appropriately. If it is a black tie wedding dinner, DO NOT come in jeans. At least come in slacks with a casual jacket or something. Try to balance between comfort, functionality, and decorum.

i wore my simple CK shirt with a pants (not jeans) and a suede shoe

simple yet neat

well, i have seen a photographer well-dressed during the day shoot, but midway through, his shirt was already soaked in sweat. I think smart casual should do the job, as long as its not sloppy.

By dressing appropriately and in accordance to the event's dress code is a show of respect to the customer and their guests.

When we are doing wedding events, we dress in black collared shirts and dark pants. So that we can be easily distinguished as the photographers and not a part of their guests.

I'm not a professional photoq.
I agree with some of the comments above.
Dress appropriately for the occasion and location.

For day shoot smart casual okay. Don't verdress until it hinders your movement and cam handling or steal the limelights from the 'objectives' of the day.

Check out the hotel or restaurant grade for night dinner. If 5-6 stars better to dress more appropriate, same time not steal the limelights again from the 'subjects'. If restaurant i think smart casual and neat okay lah.

I'm one of the victim... I planned my entire wedding so perfectly and it was held in a 5 stars hotel. The photographer forgot my event! And when we called him (which he had missed our solemnisation + cocktail session already), he came in an old t-shirt, short and flip-flop. simply something that i won't even wear to market! A very bad memory for my wedding, and yet we still pay him full (stupid of us)... :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.