Drawback of Kx

nanochan1

Feb 2, 2009
We heard alot about the good reviews of Kx, any drawbacks from Pentax Kx that one might consider before purchasing it?

We heard alot about the good reviews of Kx, any drawbacks from Pentax Kx that one might consider before purchasing it?

Errr for that price you can't ask for more. This is the best camera you can get with this sort of price.

Maybe one of the disadvantage is that it's not weather proof.:lovegrin:

It's a very good camera:thumbsup:

it already the best Body from pentax, noise wise, Dynamic range wise...
threadstarter, perhap u share a bit of yr photography experience, which system/camera had u used before?

Well....subjective...there is no perfect camera....personally i find is a very versatile camera.Value for money!!!

it already the best Body from pentax, noise wise, Dynamic range wise...
threadstarter, perhap u share a bit of yr photography experience, which system/camera had u used before?

500D but sold it off and thinking of changing to Pentax instead if possible getting it today :)

my friend recommending it to me though.

Last edited:
hmmm no AF guide in the Viewfinder? But honestly, it really didnt matter to me. I think the biggest drawback is still not weather sealed. Makes it quite dumb to buy WR lenses.

hmmm no AF guide in the Viewfinder? But honestly, it really didnt matter to me. I think the biggest drawback is still not weather sealed. Makes it quite dumb to buy WR lenses.

if it isn't weather sealed can one still bring to cold, snowing, breezing countries to use it without any hiccups?

no AF guide. how to aim. oh no. if i ain't wrong the IS in the body?

Last edited:
haha i asked the exact same question. Well to what seniors said, its still okay for winter but don't leave it out bare to the elements. How to aim ah, many ways. Auto, let the camera aim for you. Select AF point. Just remember. Last way, MF =D

500D but sold it off and thinking of changing to Pentax instead if possible getting it today :)

my friend recommending it to me though.

price,featured wise, u can't find fault with it
if weight and size is yr priority it a good buy....anything other good points else are already mentioned by the ultra-pentax nationalists .

If you want a weather resistant camera, why not try Pentax K7?
Just ask yourself this..."What/Who/Where do I take pictures most often?" Then take it from there...
Hypothetically speaking, you maybe surprise to find you only need a PNS camera... :)

I think the biggest drawback is still not weather sealed. Makes it quite dumb to buy WR lenses.

if it isn't weather sealed can one still bring to cold, snowing, breezing countries to use it without any hiccups?

This "argument" has been echoed time and again, to which some of us here will say, "Are you WR enough to take pics in the rain/snow/etc when all you can think of at the moment is how to take shelter?" Unless you're a wildlife/extreme sports photographer, WR doesn't really matter much. Batteries dying on you in cold weather is more of a concern.

That said, I've shot in monsoon-rain conditions before with my old non-WR Nikon D70. Nothing a little time under the aircon/dryer can't fix. And if your equipment fails, that's where your warranty comes in handy. ;p

Drawbacks are the Non-WR and missing AF point. But that is not much of a problem. Even WR or not, once a droplet touch ur body or lens, u sure gonna cover it like a baby. As for the Missing AF point, that was my concern before, but after using it much...seriously nothing to worry abt. It has a function where u can choose AF, depends on ur choice. From there u will know where to shoot.

Can check out Zoo outing thread, there u can see Gummy,ricsal and many others with K-x image taken with it. Picture gives a thousand viruses to get infected.

Join Pentaxian, we got cookies.

Last edited:
Too many colours to choose from.
Cannot get the noisy effect no matter how high I set the ISO.
It does not come in pokemon design... just that toy robot design.
And worst of all... I look so cool with my white kx and glowing blue led... ;(

Seriously....
1. Use 4AA batteries... I prefer 1 light lithium. But AA you can get easily.
2. No battery grip. I have it on my K10D... it makes me feel professional even though I take lousy pics.
3. No AF points indicator. You can live without it... I just miss it.

Last edited:
I keep reading no AF points. It should be 1 center AF point with no selectable AF point, no? :think:

Not that I use the AF function (selectable or otherwise) on my K10D anyway...

This "argument" has been echoed time and again, to which some of us here will say, "Are you WR enough to take pics in the rain/snow/etc when all you can think of at the moment is how to take shelter?" Unless you're a wildlife/extreme sports photographer, WR doesn't really matter much. Batteries dying on you in cold weather is more of a concern.

That said, I've shot in monsoon-rain conditions before with my old non-WR Nikon D70. Nothing a little time under the aircon/dryer can't fix. And if your equipment fails, that's where your warranty comes in handy. ;p

Agreed on this point, the camera maybe well "WR", but you still can't take picture if your batteries don't work in extreme cold, unlike those manual SLR :thumbsup:

there are AF points and there are selectable AF points.

they just dont flash red for you when you take a shot.

Means in the viewfinder it doesn't show the red light when it confirms focus but just set it to center AF point and it should be alright . just need to estimate the centre :sweat:

just bought my kx. hope I will be happy with it :)

any pointers for 1st time pentax user? :)

recommendation of batteries?