Dragonfly Super Macro with EF 100mm/f2.8 Macro (Botanic Garden - 4 May)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wai

Jan 17, 2002
South Pole with Penguin
singastro.org
Thanks Megaweb for bringing these lens today just for me.....too bad that i was late and didn't have time to take somemore shots

but your lens is really great! very fast focus and i can go as near as 20cm with manual focusing

Wah..the dragonfly was so huge thru the viewfinder....i can count all its hair on the head and i can even see the dragonfly sticking out its tongue!!!

ok..back to topic..all the pic taken at ISO100, with build in flash of D30 only

full.jpg

f8, 1/60s

closeup.jpg

f16, 1/10s

macro.jpg

f16, 1/6s

I was already using very big f-number
i wonder why i cannot get the wings to be in focus as well?
also, should i use bounce flash instead to reduce the reflection of the eyes?
f8, 1/60s

Originally posted by Klause
Hmm.. did u use tripod?

yes...Tripod with 10 second timer....

i think the shutter speed too long...and the wind is blowing at the dragonfly so it is moving

but then i was using Manual Focus, for the last two shots....else cannot get so near

wah ... nice shots ... I like the 1st one ...

look like the dragonfly is not in focus using f/8 .... have u try smaller than f/8 settings ?

Originally posted by megaweb
wah ... nice shots ... I like the 1st one ...

look like the dragonfly is not in focus using f/8 .... have u try smaller than f/8 settings ?

2nd and 3rd are f16

i even tried f22 and up to f32
but the shutter speed is so long that the wind blows and the pic will become blur

u can see that even at f16 in 2nd and 3rd pic already as the speed is only 1/10s

which means external flash is a must for SLR to take insect pictures?

Originally posted by kamwai

2nd and 3rd are f16

i even tried f22 and up to f32
but the shutter speed is so long that the wind blows and the pic will become blur

u can see that even at f16 in 2nd and 3rd pic already as the speed is only 1/10s

which means external flash is a must for SLR to take insect pictures?

1/10 sec is too slow to get the object in focus ...

if you are going to use settings like f/16 to f/32..... external flash is definitely a MUST to you ..

Originally posted by megaweb

1/10 sec is too slow to get the object in focus ...

if you are going to use settings like f/16 to f/32..... external flash is definitely a MUST to you ..

i dunno if the flash was using full power or not cos it was so bright already.....is it possible to push the flash to max power manually....so that i can use faster shutter??

look like i really have to get the Sigma Super 500 flash gun for more manual control....

now...i think need to study the manual somemore...

i dunno if the flash was using full power or not cos it was so bright already.....is it possible to push the flash to max power manually....so that i can use faster shutter??

if you go to manual mode on the flash, it will always blast with full power.

Originally posted by Tweek

i was using Av mode....except the 4th pic...i use manual mode with external flash.

No ... for using SLR in manual mode with 420EX , it is not full blast ...

i was using Av mode....except the 4th pic...i use manual mode with external flash.

I mean flash manual, not camera manual...
if your flash is already a manual flash without automatic options, then it will blast at full everytime.

wai, why not invest in a good flash? it will help a lot I think. Time to save up again! :D

I mean flash manual, not camera manual...
if your flash is already a manual flash without automatic options, then it will blast at full everytime.

wai, why not invest in a good flash? it will help a lot I think. Time to save up again! :D

how abt the build in flash?? have to make use of what i have now cos no $$ for flash yet

how to push the build in flash to blast at max power? i have an old manual flash too (no power control, not auto flash) but i think it is as weak as the build in flash also

Status
Not open for further replies.