Dragonfly portrait (50mm reverse)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyxx88

Nov 17, 2004
Just one for now -- to showcase what a reverse 50mm setup can do.

Haven't got time to PP the practice shots I took today.

This is the 100% crop version. The DOF is so shallow, that if I get the eyes sharp, the 'nose' is blur :confused:

hacknet

Mar 20, 2007
looks brilliant man! how close did you have to get?

nyxx88

Nov 17, 2004
looks brilliant man! how close did you have to get?
Err... not too sure, but according to tchuanye in one of his posts.... reverse 50mm focusing distance is about 4cm. So, I had to approach the dragonfly very slowly lor... But it was quite 'good' -- I managed to fire off a number of shots & it didn't fly off. Only when I moved to try to get a side view, it flew off.

huggable

Nov 2, 2004
East side
The shot is a classic! So if you focus on the nose, the dragonfly's eyes will be OOF I guess.

nyxx88

Nov 17, 2004
The shot is a classic! So if you focus on the nose, the dragonfly's eyes will be OOF I guess.
Yup, its either the eyes or the nose. Reason being...
- using f/5.6 aperture (VERY shallow DOF)
- why use f/5.6? using any smaller aperture would render the viewfinder too dark for focusing
- why cannot use bigger aperture? using reverse 50mm does not allow aperture to be wide open for focusing purpose
- why cannot use tripod to focus first at wide open & then stop down? any slight movement to adjust aperture ring could move the camera & with the extremely shallow DOF, shot will be OOF. and also.... adjusting aperture ring so close to the subject would very likely scare it off first

Anyway, I did these 2 pix in a hurry & the exposure was not properly processed. Better ones are here http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=278682

OlyFlyer

Mar 22, 2006
Yup, its either the eyes or the nose. Reason being...
- using f/5.6 aperture (VERY shallow DOF)
- why use f/5.6? using any smaller aperture would render the viewfinder too dark for focusing
- why cannot use bigger aperture? using reverse 50mm does not allow aperture to be wide open for focusing purpose
- why cannot use tripod to focus first at wide open & then stop down? any slight movement to adjust aperture ring could move the camera & with the extremely shallow DOF, shot will be OOF. and also.... adjusting aperture ring so close to the subject would very likely scare it off first

Anyway, I did these 2 pix in a hurry & the exposure was not properly processed. Better ones are here http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=278682
I was going to ask you why such narrow DOF but you answered before.

To be able to to handle reversed lens (amongst other things) I modified an exptension tube. My lens now works also reversed and I have full AF and aperture control. The dawback is that the extension tube does not show up in EXIF, but who cares? :dunno: I don't know what camera you have but I am pretty sure it could work with any camera, given the right rings are modified. I suggest you take a look and make one or let somebody make you one if you believe in my idea. It is really simple, as far as I know, Novoflex makes for Canon but I believe it is very expensive.

Anyway, look at this link: http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=264305

nyxx88

Nov 17, 2004
I was going to ask you why such narrow DOF but you answered before.

To be able to to handle reversed lens (amongst other things) I modified an exptension tube. My lens now works also reversed and I have full AF and aperture control. The dawback is that the extension tube does not show up in EXIF, but who cares? :dunno: I don't know what camera you have but I am pretty sure it could work with any camera, given the right rings are modified. I suggest you take a look and make one or let somebody make you one if you believe in my idea. It is really simple, as far as I know, Novoflex makes for Canon but I believe it is very expensive.

Anyway, look at this link: http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=264305
COOL STUFF!!! This will likely keep me awake for awhile. Now, where's my darn soldering iron...? I will PM you for your contacts, as I may need some additional advice from you. Thank you.

OlyFlyer

Mar 22, 2006
COOL STUFF!!! This will likely keep me awake for awhile. Now, where's my darn soldering iron...? I will PM you for your contacts, as I may need some additional advice from you. Thank you.
I am glad you like it. Welcome to PM if you need more details or advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.