Drag race at Carriesta Jamboree

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayKay

Jul 12, 2007
It is the first time they managed to drag on a full 1/4 mile track in Singapore. The standards had also been raised with impressive times, better safety and a better view. Since no one posted a thread on this drag race event, here's 4 photos of my feeble attempts at panning to share.

A-031.jpg

A-051.jpg

A-106.jpg

A-145.jpg

The rest are at http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y151/JkChan/Sports/Carriesta Jamboree/Drag/
I will add some shots of other cars "frozen" in the frame and pics around the track soon.

C & C welcomed.

Hi, nice and sharp pics u got there. May i know ur set-up and how u capture these pics. Sorry, newbie here.

Thanks.
Kai

Haha, I thought it is like those rocket driven drag racing found in the States. :eek:

Which car won? GTR-R35?

Hi, nice and sharp pics u got there. May i know ur set-up and how u capture these pics. Sorry, newbie here.

Thanks.
Kai
No need to be sorry. I used a Sony A700 with 70-200mm lens but I was playing with different settings. Fyi, my usual would be to set a low shutter speed in shutter priority, continuous focus, burst mode and fire away once they come in range.

Haha, I thought it is like those rocket driven drag racing found in the States. :eek:
No can do. The organisers prohibited the use of nitro methane which those run on.

Which car won? GTR-R35?
Sorry, I dunno. The photos were taken on the 2nd last day as the final was on New Year's eve and I had a function to attend. Anyway, the best time of the day and for the event up till then was returned by a ST Power Evo. It was also the 1st time a car managed the run under 10 secs.

Here's more photos of the drivers in the staging area before their run. I feel they deserve having their photos posted as they risked so much to provide us the entertainment.

5. Which way to staging?

A-006.jpg

6. Relieving tension whilst waiting ..

A-097.jpg

7. and waiting ...

A-100.jpg

8. Tension mounts ..

A-181.jpg

9. Then its time to mount up,

A-231.jpg

10. Gear up..

A-182.jpg

11. And start engines

A-035.jpg

12. Finally off to start the race

A-099.jpg

Thanks for viewing.

the GTR capture is fantastic!

No need to be sorry. I used a Sony A700 with 70-200mm lens but I was playing with different settings. Fyi, my usual would be to set a low shutter speed in shutter priority, continuous focus, burst mode and fire away once they come in range.

No can do. The organisers prohibited the use of nitro methane which those run on.

Sorry, I dunno. The photos were taken on the 2nd last day as the final was on New Year's eve and I had a function to attend. Anyway, the best time of the day and for the event up till then was returned by a ST Power Evo. It was also the 1st time a car managed the run under 10 secs.

at low shutter, you mean like 1 second or more kind?

how do you get the car sharp with the background blurred? did you take it in slow shutter and move your camera to the left (to maintain the car in the middle of the frame) while the shutter is o0pen?

at low shutter, you mean like 1 second or more kind?

how do you get the car sharp with the background blurred? did you take it in slow shutter and move your camera to the left (to maintain the car in the middle of the frame) while the shutter is o0pen?
Sorry, I did not make it clear. Shutter speeds between 1/25 secs and 1/80 secs should be sufficient, depending on the distance and speed of the subject. Slower speed means more background blur. You are right that you have to keep it constantly in position in your viewfinder, then take the shot whilst keeping the camera following the direction of travel smoothly throughout. Hope this helps.

Yes, that Rx-7 is AWD. But transmission broke down in the last round.

nice pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.