Draft-N users

Status
Not open for further replies.

satay16

Jan 14, 2006
Hiyee to all!!!!

Happy Vesak Day!!!

ok, here's my scenario. There's a Wireless-B router sitting in my room now. Opposite my room is another room with a computer using the wireless internet. Both room doors are open, and the router is just around a meter away from being in the line-of-sight of the adapter. but despite the room being only like 6-7 meters away from the router only, that computer always shows a "very low" signal and often disconnects itself. my house is very cramped with irregular walls, so i thought that even though there's nothing big between the router and the adapter, the massive reflections from the walls and ceilings might have degraded the signal.

now, what i heard is that the new wirelessN uses walls and ceilings to reflect the signals, thus making its range longer, and also reduces blindspots. they said that b and g is unable to tap reflected signals as it is too messy.

so, wondering if anyone here uses draft-N routers? would really wish to hear how effective this "reflective technology" is in reducing blindspots. cos if it is really that effective, i might be getting one in the upcoming PC show.

thanky!:heart:

The n draft is great. Very long reach. Full signal upstairs and downstairs. Get it. Got the D link version and no problem at all.

I though draft-n works better because of multiple antennae rather than bouncing signals?... to maximise range, use draft-n wireless adaptors for your comps as well... :)

Pointless.

Just using a WRT54G with 3rd party linux firmware + stock antennas.

Able to serve wireless to my entire house.

I'm waiting till it's standardised, if it isn't already..
at the rate its going, WiMax would probably come out first...

Houses aren't all the same size, case you haven't realised..

Yup .. i know... have installed the same router at a friend's place serving a 3 storey house. No issues. Only thing changed on the router are high gain antennas. to serve the 3rd and 1st floors... router placed on the 2nd floor.

I though draft-n works better because of multiple antennae rather than bouncing signals?... to maximise range, use draft-n wireless adaptors for your comps as well... :)

dang. you mean i must change the computer adapters to N in order to take advantage of the range? right now, would be kind of expensive to change all my b and g adapters.

dang. you mean i must change the computer adapters to N in order to take advantage of the range? right now, would be kind of expensive to change all my b and g adapters.

Overhauling or migrating an entire network is never that simple. All adaptors got to change.

I am using the Linksys WRT350N and yes it is better than my previous D-Link gaming router with 7dbi ant and Linksys G series and yes you must change the adaptors to match otherwise does not make sense.

Wa, where have you been? =D

somewhere where a thing is built upon lack of international trust.

Overhauling or migrating an entire network is never that simple. All adaptors got to change.

I am using the Linksys WRT350N and yes it is better than my previous D-Link gaming router with 7dbi ant and Linksys G series and yes you must change the adaptors to match otherwise does not make sense.

but i thought N is backward compatible?

anyway, maybe i might need to rephrase my question.

N is faster and farther. Using B and G adapters will not allow the N maximum speed to unleash, but that's fine with me. Quesition: Do the B and G adapters enjoy the range increase too? (hope to get some firsthand answers.)

No the range and speed will not increase when using B/G adaptors although it is compatible. At least for my case.

somewhere where a thing is built upon lack of international trust.

but i thought N is backward compatible?

anyway, maybe i might need to rephrase my question.

N is faster and farther. Using B and G adapters will not allow the N maximum speed to unleash, but that's fine with me. Quesition: Do the B and G adapters enjoy the range increase too? (hope to get some firsthand answers.)

Is there satay there? =D

well............ they have nice roti johns in school 2 canteen.

No the range and speed will not increase when using B/G adaptors although it is compatible. At least for my case.

dang, looks like i need to find another way. thanks anyway!!:)

dang, looks like i need to find another way. thanks anyway!!:)

For best result, run cable :thumbsup: and forget about wireless .... :bsmilie:

For best result, run cable :thumbsup: and forget about wireless .... :bsmilie:

yeah, actually had that in mind too, but wondering how much it costs.

how about homeplug systems, which tap into your powerlines within your home as a ready-laid network... most major network equipment companies have such solutions... even Creative has a system...

how about homeplug systems, which tap into your powerlines within your home as a ready-laid network... most major network equipment companies have such solutions... even Creative has a system...

expensive. i was juggling between wireless N, installing network cable, or that powerline. but powerline only supports 4-5 computers for the cheaper ones. the expensive ones can support around 16, but.....yeah.... expensive.:sweat: very very expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.