Draco Set Top Box for Mediacorp HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ansel

Apr 30, 2003
Land Downunder
Visit site
Hi,

Just passed by Harvey Norman today and saw them selling the Draco STB for $399. Used to be $599 if I am not wrong.

I understand this is one way of getting free to air HD programmes (HD5) from MediaCorp.

Does anyone have experience to share regarding reception issues or picture quality? I live in a ground floor unit at a condominium. Thinking of getting it now since the price drop and I must confess I am really hardup for HD.

Am I better off getting HD5 via MIO from Singtel? But that requires quite high investments, since I am not currently a Singtel broadband user and must get a ADSL modem in order to go onto MIO.

Any thoughts? :dunno:

Hi,

Just passed by Harvey Norman today and saw them selling the Draco STB for $399. Used to be $599 if I am not wrong.

I understand this is one way of getting free to air HD programmes (HD5) from MediaCorp.

Does anyone have experience to share regarding reception issues or picture quality? I live in a ground floor unit at a condominium. Thinking of getting it now since the price drop and I must confess I am really hardup for HD.

Am I better off getting HD5 via MIO from Singtel? But that requires quite high investments, since I am not currently a Singtel broadband user and must get a ADSL modem in order to go onto MIO.

Any thoughts? :dunno:

Do note that certain areas of Singapore does not have coverage of HD5 since the broadcast of that channel is from Bukit Timah Hill.

$399?Do you want a good condition <1yr 2nd hand set for only $350?

Do note that certain areas of Singapore does not have coverage of HD5 since the broadcast of that channel is from Bukit Timah Hill.

$399?Do you want a good condition <1yr 2nd hand set for only $350?

Hmmm....let me think about your offer.

Does that mean your experience with the Draco was not good?

It's from Bukit Timah Hill? Cool! That's only 2.1km away from my place according to Google Earth. Anyway, i believe u should be able to receive HD5 with any DVB-T receiver with HD output (component or whatever with 720p, etc video out).

It's from Bukit Timah Hill? Cool! That's only 2.1km away from my place according to Google Earth. Anyway, i believe u should be able to receive HD5 with any DVB-T receiver with HD output (component or whatever with 720p, etc video out).
must look at geographical layout, if you so happen to be in a blind spot (eg: low lying areas) you won't be able to receive it as well

Hmmm....let me think about your offer.

Does that mean your experience with the Draco was not good?

Nope,it's just that someone warned me before i bought the STB that the coverage was not all of Singapore.However,it's fine by me because i live near the Bukit Timah transmitter so there's no issues for me.

You're in luck.

I reside near bedok. Using a Snazio HD box. (infact... if you have the chance, go compare the Draco and the Snazio side by side - the latter having a better image quality)

I'm using a roof top based antenna (previously was already receiving TV Mobile and digital 5). So plugging into the SCV point will not work as you need a roof top mounted antenna.

Reception is good for me.

Bro dEthANGeL, where did you buy the Snazio? Any pictures of this set top?

Bought it during the HD5 lift off launch. V-One multimedia staff was huddled in a corner and i was promised a special price after the show.

Had the chance to compare side by side with the draco. Even the mediacorp staff did a A / B comparision ... after that they left the demo on the snazio on their big screen :bsmilie:

Managed to find this site - http://www.snavio.com/SnaVio_DVBT.asp

Enjoy!

Ah! Thanks for the info and the link, Bro.

Errrr... how much did you buy it for? Just want to compare with the pricing of Draco. Drace was going for $299 during last year's SITEX. (IIRC)

Ah! Thanks for the info and the link, Bro.

Errrr... how much did you buy it for? Just want to compare with the pricing of Draco. Drace was going for $299 during last year's SITEX. (IIRC)

Mine's the basic set. They actually have 3 different models. Snazio is going for $350 for the basic model.

woa....never knew about snazio. Now there is spanner in the works! :confused:

:dunno:

I got the Draco setup box free when I bought my LCD TV. The output quality of the HD5 is so so. I prefer watching from the SCV socket. A bit stretch but image quality is better and sharper. Not sure if this is a problem with my block antenne.

Maybe need to get the Mio box from singtel to to be able to really see the different.

Status
Not open for further replies.