DPReview's SD9 vs D30 look

Status
Not open for further replies.
My goodness...the SD9 looks sooo good...
Sorry if this is a duh question, but is the X3 sensor the same as the Foven (?) sensor

Originally posted by qhelix
Sorry if this is a duh question, but is the X3 sensor the same as the Foven (?) sensor

DUH!:D

Originally posted by qhelix

Yes Yes... they are the same...

Foven produce the sensor and they called it X3.....

let's just hope that foveon gets a new investor... else it might be eaten up and squashed, like that graphics chip company using tile technology..

Well, the release of this camera has certainly put any thoughts I had of getting a DSLR on hold. Certainly looks like X3 is the way o go, if only they would become more affordable.

Heh...heh...Canon will read the review in horror :D

Quick! Everybody! dump all your canon and nikon equipments! support Sigma!:D

The Foveon's X3 sensor is a technology breaktrough. It eliminate Bayer interpolation, and its 3MP sensor is equivalent to 12MP sensor in conventional RGBG filtered CCD/CMOS. That's why Foveon's 3MP sensor can rival the 6MP sensor of D60 in term of resolution.
The only downside of this X3 sensor, is its noise figure at red channel, due to its position which is layered below the blue & green pixels. The light hitting the red pixel will be lower in intensity.

I believe if they got funding and can sustain the R&D long enough, then this type of sensor will wipe out CCD/CMOS from hi-end camera. Furthermore, the release of SD9 with competitive price-tag shows that the sensor's cost is not higher than the conventional one.

hey, might I become all-around Sigma fan with Sigma mount?:cool: :D

Like I've been saying, I'd buy one, if it wasn't for it's whopping big Achilles Heel. It only takes Sigma lenses.

Not getting embroiled in a quality-of-Sigma-lenses dispute, it's just that I don't own a single one of those.

from the other reviews I've read, some independent.... some blind tests....... I'm pretty convinced that the the current 3mp X3 sensor is a SUPER 3mp, and it does not rivals the 6mp at all............

look around the nikon forum in DPreview, there was one guy who did a 4 camera blind test, d60, sd9, s2pro, d100, it is a kind of test where you choose which image you like best, and only in the end he reveal which camera is it. 13 images in all if I remember correctly.

Originally posted by tsdh
The only downside of this X3 sensor, is its noise figure at red channel, due to its position which is layered below the blue & green pixels. The light hitting the red pixel will be lower in intensity.

While in theory this might make sense, Phil Askey finds otherwise in his review. He finds the opposite in fact; the noise is evenly spread across the three channels for the SD9, but most evident in the red channel in the D60.

Foveon were also at pains to belay this worry when they first unveiled the X3.

Originally posted by Jed
While in theory this might make sense, Phil Askey finds otherwise in his review. He finds the opposite in fact; the noise is evenly spread across the three channels for the SD9, but most evident in the red channel in the D60.
Foveon were also at pains to belay this worry when they first unveiled the X3.
yeah, Jed, the best is to get the camera at hand, and test it ourself. I will wait till Nikon (or Canon...) using this kind of sensor and able to compete with SD9 in term of price, then I will buy one. In the meantime I will refrain from buying any DSLR.

Yeah after all been said and tested, I think the full frame sensor is still one important stumbling block besides the lens make factor.

I "heard" that 1Ds and 1D to be combined, and a new 1Ds to be intro'd? ;p

Originally posted by tsdh

yeah, Jed, the best is to get the camera at hand, and test it ourself. I will wait till Nikon (or Canon...) using this kind of sensor and able to compete with SD9 in term of price, then I will buy one. In the meantime I will refrain from buying any DSLR.
Unfortunately at that time there will be X9 technology but not totally mature, so u have to wait another generation, and it goes on and on... I would say someone who is happy with film still can find fun. No need to plan a roadmap for DSLR unless you feel the desire to own one. In that case, get it TODAY and enjoy shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.