DPreview Update : Panasonic & Olympus join forces on Four Thirds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chancy

Dec 16, 2003
Northern Singapore
Visit site
Very Interesting Details at URL:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0501/05011301panasonicfourthirds.asp

This is an affirmation of the viability of the 4/3 system.

Anyone looking forward to interchangeable Leicas lenses on your E1/E300 ;-) or a Panasonic DSLR ?

CS-wise, I wonder if they're gonna merge the two forums :bsmilie:

Just when I was kidding with Tert about Panasonic / Oly home appliances, looks like the both companies were looking the other way :bsmilie:

Cheers,

Panasonic (Parent company is Matsushita) is a BIG company, Canon's 1D is build on Matsushita's 1.3x FOV Sensor. They also have a good number of Patents filed in 2004, 2nd behind the Big Blue IBM. I will not be surprised to know that they will release a 4/3 DSLR given their knowledge in digital camera and their branding with Leica (Lumix). I think Panasonic will MOST LIKELY (predict only) make the CCD/CMOS Sensor for Olympus while the latter make the lens. My family TV and DVD player have since changed from Sony and Pioneer respectively (few years back). Now then I realise :bsmilie:

Just got a FX2, kind of hot after 5-10 minutes of play, probably due to the small size as heat is finding it hard to escape :) FYI FX7/FX2 is voted one of the top 10 photograhy products in 2004 in Japan, and the only compact to made it into top 30, now is the time to show the technology in the DSLR market.

that holds much promise for a Leica lens for the 4/3 system... exciting indeed.

and a likely competitively priced Panasonic DSLR is gonna shake up the low price DSLR market, that is for sure, after seeing what they can do with their FZ20.

If you read this:

http://www.iii.co.uk/news/?type=afxnews&articleid=5167196&subject=companies&action=article

"I strongly believe strong synergy between the two companies' technologies will be generated through this alliance, because the areas of strength differ significantly," said Hiroshi Komiya, president of Olympus Imaging Corp, a digital camera subsidiary.

I do not think Leica will like Panasonic to market a Leica 4/3 lens on a competing system (to their own digital R/M system). Panasonic might make the sensor for Olympus and use it on their DSLR also. It might be possible for Panasonic to use Olympus' lens (same mount?) and/or they develop their own lens with OIS :D

This is an additional article in watch impress with interviews conducted of both Panasonic and Olympus representatives

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/dslr/2005/01/13/756.html

You may view the translated article by pasting the entire url into the translator website babelfish

www.babelfish.com

A glance through the article says that Lumix is planning to extend its lineup to SLR (there is a chart to show the future market positioning). It also said that they will be adopting the 4/3 system. This means that lenses developed by Lumix will be useable on other 4/3 adopters (Fuji, Kodak and Oly included)

If I hv time will try to post some more info from ground zero
Serene

Might we see a low cost Image stabilizer lens for the E-system? It has to be pretty low cost for Panasonic to include it into their consumer cameras right?

Hi serene, thanks for the link. Is not the Lumix brand part of Panasonic's digital camera series? I suppose that Panasonic will continue to use the Lumix branding for its DSLR and lens. The article seems to say that they have not reach an agreement with Leica to use their technology to develop their DSLR system. Hope they will work together, give Canon/Nikon a run of their money :)

I guess, Panny will use Oly technology in DSLR, and in returns, Oly would incorporate OIS (stabilizer) feature in their future cameras! ;)

So, I guess it's a good news of 4/3 users, ultra zoom lenses with IS is on their way!

i m not sure if Panasonic will trade technology with Oly. the 4/3 standard is like an open industry standard, each one can come up with their own unique products. just like a CD burner, fix standard but so many different manufacturers showing their own unique products. quality also different (benQ, samsung, Plextor, TDK, Lite On, etc). :)

I read through the watch impress article again and felt there are some interesting info here warranting closer look. I will translate it in stages. It looks like there will be much technology sharing ( something akin to Wintel affiliation?) culminating in new products to be announced in 2006. It also appears that though some technologies will be jointly developed, the product lines will be distinct and each company will be differentiating itself strategically. The cooperation seems to apply to the future technology rather than current technology. Happy reading..

--------
オリンパス株式会社と松下電器産業株式会社は13日、フォーサーズ規格に基づくレンズ交換式一眼レフカメラの共同開発について合意したと発表した。要素技術などの共同開発をこれから開始し、ボディや関連製品を2006年春のPMAショーに発表するのが目標。

Olympus and Matsushita has agreed to jointly develop SLR camera based on the 4/3 system.Both parties are to commence joint development in the key technologies, for example in camera bodies and related equipment which has been targeted for announcement at the 2006 PMA show.

両社の合意内容は次の3点。「一眼レフカメラシステムに関する要素技術、キーデバイスを共同開発する」、「開発した技術とデバイスをもとにしたボディとシステム関連製品を、各々の戦略に基づき商品化する」、「フォーサーズシステム規格の普及を目指し、賛同各社の拡大と商品化を推進する」。
There are 3 points to the agreement,
1. Joint development in key technologies of SLR cameras, including joint development of key devices
2. [this is a bit tricky to translate as it requires some industry knowledge]
To merchandise according to each company's strategic position, such jointly developed technology, camera bodies and related products of the 4/3 system.
3.Both parties aim to popularise the 4/3 standard and to grow products of each company.
----------

serene said:
I read through the watch impress article again and felt there are some interesting info here warranting closer look. I will translate it in stages. It looks like there will be much technology sharing ( something akin to Wintel affiliation?) culminating in new products to be announced in 2006. It also appears that though some technologies will be jointly developed, the product lines will be distinct and each company will be differentiating itself strategically. The cooperation seems to apply to the future technology rather than current technology. Happy reading..

----------

Hello Serene,

Thanks ! You have gone through way too much trouble to translate :) The key points of the agreement are actually well explained in their press release, so you can save some effort & translate comments by industry experts or observers. If I may extract a underlined section (credited to DPreview) ...

"Olympus Corporation (Olympus) and Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd. (Panasonic) today announced the signing of a joint development agreement for interchangeable lens type digital SLR cameras based on the Four Thirds System standard. Under the terms of the agreement, the two companies will jointly develop technologies and devices, and promote the development of digital SLR cameras that maximize the extensive user benefits of the Four Thirds System.

The aim of the agreement is to meet the needs of the rapidly growing global market for digital SLR cameras*1 by fusing Olympus's industry-leading SLR camera technology with Panasonic's advanced digital AV technology, and by developing innovative new design concepts for next-generation digital SLR cameras.

The agreement covers the following three main points:

The two firms agree to jointly develop technologies and devices related to SLR camera systems (including camera bodies, interchangeable lenses, and related system peripherals) based on the Four Thirds System standard.

The two firms will individually develop digital SLR system cameras and related system products that incorporate the abovementioned technologies and devices.

With the aim of promoting widespread adoption of the Four Thirds System standard, the two firms will encourage other firms to participate in, and develop products for, the Four Thirds System standard."

- End of Extract -

It fruits of this partnership will take time to bear, but one thing is certain, you certainly won't see a "PanOly" branded DSLR on the streets :)

Thanks !

Hi Chancy
Thanks for the clip. (I was unaware - could impress watch have reworded the original?)But the Japanese original certainly is not quite the same as the extract from DPreview. (not talking about the semantic differences, for eg, Japanese version just says 'camera; and English says 'digital camera' - these are minor). Not in original are
1. encourage other firms to participate
2. the word - 'to merchandise' in original is not the same as to develop in DP (as in R&D). To merchandise is closer to the idea of the branding and product differentiation.
2. 'individually develop'
Let's check the English press release as I might be wrong coz this requires industry/company knowledge

In short, Matsushita desperate for DSLR technology, Oly is desperate for IS and wide acceptance of it's 4/3 standard. Who'll benefit more ? I hope the consumers will in the end.

I hope it will not end up the same fate as LC-1 :)

I've been tremendously impressed with Oly for what's doing for it's 4/3 DSLR. 2 bodies and 9 lenses developed from scracth in such a short time :thumbsup:

chancy said:
Very Interesting Details at URL:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0501/05011301panasonicfourthirds.asp

This is an affirmation of the viability of the 4/3 system.

Anyone looking forward to interchangeable Leicas lenses on your E1/E300 ;-) or a Panasonic DSLR ?

CS-wise, I wonder if they're gonna merge the two forums :bsmilie:

Just when I was kidding with Tert about Panasonic / Oly home appliances, looks like the both companies were looking the other way :bsmilie:

Cheers,

Looks like the prospects of a 3 mega-pixel washing machine might not be too absurd an idea after all... :bsmilie: Oly-Panasonic new Technology: Supersonic Swoosh...

Caussway said:
In short, Matsushita desperate for DSLR technology, Oly is desperate for IS and wide acceptance of it's 4/3 standard. Who'll benefit more ? I hope the consumers will in the end.

I hope it will not end up the same fate as LC-1 :)

I've been tremendously impressed with Oly for what's doing for it's 4/3 DSLR. 2 bodies and 9 lenses developed from scracth in such a short time :thumbsup:

but what happened to Olympus's IS technology found in its C2100UZ and C100RS? :dunno:

If I'm not wrong C2100IS lens + IS assy is from Canon. The same lens used for Pro90is.

nad said:
but what happened to Olympus's IS technology found in its C2100UZ and C100RS? :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.