dpreview article on noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I see, 8 out of 10 consumers will not know this. They will usually be attracted by the various marketing strategy of digicam such as design, branding, high MP, anti-shake and whatever ground breaking technologies of the model.

F11 is my 2nd digicam and I'm loving it. It's definitely a winner at indoor when compared to my friend's Canon, Casio, Sony, Panasonic with whatever anti-shakes.

From what I see, 8 out of 10 consumers will not know this. They will usually be attracted by the various marketing strategy of digicam such as design, branding, high MP, anti-shake and whatever ground breaking technologies of the model.

F11 is my 2nd digicam and I'm loving it. It's definitely a winner at indoor when compared to my friend's Canon, Casio, Sony, Panasonic with whatever anti-shakes.

I was telling my friend whose Ixus 400 died that he should just buy a F31fd and forget anything else on the market, including larger more expensive compacts. But he said ... I prefer to buy from a real camera brand like Nikon or Canon.... Sigh..

To me the F31fd is so much better and I really hope Fuji continue on this concept of a lowish MP, largish sensor, low noise without heavy NR.

Fuji makes real value for $$ cams. I had the Fuji 2800 Zoom for 3 yrs. It's a workhorse. Took tens of thousand of pix with them and never went to the clinic. Recently bought S6500fd & F20 to compliment it. My friend are also amazed of the pix when I show it to them. :thumbsup: :)

Ppl nowadays will onli consider the big boys (Canon & Nikon) when they are going to purchase a digicam. Quite sad as.......:cry:

after reading the review, it seem like F31fd is the choice for image quality comparable to canon eos 30D.
anyone know whether canon eos 30D better than pentax k10d ?

Yes, 30D has better image quality (sharper jpegs at pixel level and visibly less noisy at high ISO). Unfortunately, it's also more expensive and has fewer features.

thanks for sharing your experience.
for image quality,
if F31fd comparable to eos 30D,
eos 30D is better than k10D,
will F31fd = k10D ?

thanks for sharing your experience.
for image quality,
if F31fd comparable to eos 30D,
eos 30D is better than k10D,
will F31fd = k10D ?
in no way a f31fd image quality will be comparable to a 30d in the first place... this is the limit of PnS, even in low ISO, dSLR can resolve much more details.

after reading the review, it seem like F31fd is the choice for image quality comparable to canon eos 30D.

I wouldn't say the image quality is "comparable". Read this quote from the article mentioned:

"If, however, you're an enthusiast photographer looking for a pocket camera capable of getting even close to a digital SLR, you're out of luck - you're going to have to accept some level of compromise."

So the image from a pocket camera doesn't even come close to a DSLR. Notice the Canon 30D is 8MP, compared to the 6MP sensor of the Fuji F30, yet produces better image quality mainly because of the sensor size in the DSLR body. Even from the test shots, this is very clear. Nevertheless, the image from the F30 is certainly much better than the shots from the other pocket cams. I'd say on image alone, the F30 is the best outside of a DSLR and constitute great value for money especially if you don't intend to lug a DSLR around everywhere you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.