DPP and ACR giving different results

Status
Not open for further replies.

idunbite

Apr 21, 2003
Hi just a quick question to all who can help!

I've been using ACR all along and only just started switching over to DPP to process my RAW files. I've noticed that the two programs produce different results even for mere conversion. Is this correct? Color settings are the same for both; I use sRGB for my workspace!

Different software has totally different output results. You need to test to see which works for you best. For me, Capture One Pro has the best Raw->JPEG conversion out there. I'm quite disgusted at the mess ACR makes of my files; Lightroom is ok, so is the software that came with my Cam. Silkypix is quite good too.

As DPP is the native raw converter for Canon, it would convert the raw file to produce a jpeg that is similar in colour to that of the as-shot jpeg from your Canon DSLR since only Canon can fully understand how to interpret its only raw image format.

Adobe ACR on the other hand tries to interpret Canon's raw format as best as it could.

Generally speaking, the native raw converter for a particular brand/model of DSLR should give the most accurate colour reproduction for the raw file that it is designed to convert. ;)

Thanks for your replies!

Now that I'm faced with two different softwares I don't really know which to choose. As you can see the results are pretty different:

IMG_5793_-_DPP.JPG

Done with DPP

IMG_5793_-_ACR.JPG

Done with ACR

What do you think? The problem is I've already forgotten what the picture should look like!

Last edited:
If you have used raw + jpeg mode, you can try comparing the colour reproduction of the converted image with the jpeg that is saved with the raw.

If you have used raw + jpeg mode, you can try comparing the colour reproduction of the converted image with the jpeg that is saved with the raw.

Thanks very much for the suggestion. Unfortunately I usually shoot in RAW. Shall attempt to find some old collection of photos where I shot in both RAW + JPEG.

DPP renders colours much better than any other RAW coverters out there.... at least to my eyes (and many others actually). However, apps like Lightroom offers so much more and faster too. When I shoot in controlled environement, no questions, it's DPP. In fact, I'll use DPP anytime, unless I need to tweak more than needed like wedding or event coverage where lighting can not be controlled as much.

What do you think? The problem is I've already forgotten what the picture should look like!
Ehhh.. that's the purpose of shooting RAW what... you see see, adjust adjust, looks nice then save lor, your eyes knows what's correct and not. Even shooting to JPEG doesn't give you the 'correct' look and BTW, your photo has a blue cast...need to correct WB.

Status
Not open for further replies.