DPI when doing S8R prints

Status
Not open for further replies.

calebk

Jul 25, 2006
Clementi
I've read before that for larger prints, generally speaking, your photo's resolution does not have to be at 300dpi.

Would like to know what dpi you guys usually use when printing S8R?

About 2400 on the longer side usually does it for me. It can even go down to 1800 in a pinch but 2400 works well even for my furry clients :D

About 2400 on the longer side usually does it for me. It can even go down to 1800 in a pinch but 2400 works well even for my furry clients :D
er, are you talking about the files dimensions, the printer's dpi or the image's dpi?...

anyway, as long as an original file fits to the required print size at 180dpi or above should be good enough... the printer should be able to accept it and print to reasonably good results... :)

er, are you talking about the files dimensions, the printer's dpi or the image's dpi?...

anyway, as long as an original file fits to the required print size at 180dpi or above should be good enough... the printer should be able to accept it and print to reasonably good results... :)

The image's DPI. I send my photos to a colour lab to do prints; I don't print at home - don't have the means and hardware.

The image's DPI. I send my photos to a colour lab to do prints; I don't print at home - don't have the means and hardware.
actually I was asking raptor84 cause the number he's quoting are really large if he's talking about image dpi... :)

actually I was asking raptor84 cause the number he's quoting are really large if he's talking about image dpi... :)

Oh I think he's referring to pixel count on the long side. 2,400px on the long side, if the photo is of 300dpi, translates to a length of 8".

on 8R, 2400 pixels would be 240dpi on long side (8in x 10in)
on S8R, 2400 pixels would be 200dpi on long side (8in x 12in)

should be perfectly doable either size... :)

just send your fullsize 6-12mp pics for printing. let the shop decide 240dpi or 300dpi. either way shouldn't matter.

Oh I think he's referring to pixel count on the long side. 2,400px on the long side, if the photo is of 300dpi, translates to a length of 8".

Yup i was referring to pixel count :D SO 2400 on longer side of a S8R would be 200dpi :)

yup, 200dpi should be good... Bruce Fraser, the late author of many photography books, and seperately some (unnamed) color scientists from HP (according to Michael Reichmann), have stated that a dpi range from 180-480 would be all that is needed to make fine art prints... and that as long as those figure are met, current printers should be able to do a decent job of it, rather than trying to increase the dpi through Photoshop or some other program...:)

i always use 300 no matter wat size i print.

as in u resize all ur pics depending on the dimensions u print? i.e. if u print 4R, u'll size ur pics to 1200 pixels by 1800 pixels and if u print 8R, u'll size ur pics to 2400 pixels by 3000 pixels? That's the only way to have "300DPI" no matter what size u print. The "dpi" u see in the EXIF is just a data attribute like filename and doesn't mean anything in terms of resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.