DPI issues on FZ-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

yann-evelyn

Mar 28, 2004
Singapore
Hi.. I have been shooting quite a few images on my FZ-20 and upon viewing them in Photoshop, I realised that the images resolution for the images turned out to be only 72 dpi for the images. Is there any way to change the images to 300dpi instead? (Other than changin the resolution to 300dpi in photoshop as the quality of the image would have to be reduced) So I'm just wondering if there is any setting ON the camera itself that can rectify this issue? Seems that Canon cameras' images are all 180 dpi (Standard)..

I have also tried out TIFF format to see if the resolution would be changed but to my dismay it din... kinda disappointing I must say. :(

Anyway .. just want to know as there is a certain guideline in some competitions that requires a certain image to have a certain min resolution of 300dpi and image size.. thus I just wish to find out.. ;p

OK, I am sorry to say this but anyone who wanna do digital imaging/photography should go search for information on DPI, PPI and how they actually work. DPI stands for Dots Per Inch and PPI for Pixel Per Inch. Basically both are the same, with the former more for printing on printers and the latter for working to get your size right. My sister who is good in photography knows nothing about this until recently when I taught her how to work in Photoshop.

Your FZ20 output has a max size of 2560 x 1920 pixels. It does not matter how DPI/PPI it is set at, as the size will always be 2560 x 1920 pixels (this you MUST remember). DPI/PPI is useful only when you want to calculate the size output for PRINTING (note this is mainly my personal opinion so it may differ from how others actually work). My work flow from shooting to printout is as below:

1. Shoot at highest size (2560x1920) in JPEG
2. Crop out the picture/portion I want (no resizing done)
3. Adjust the colour/contrast/saturation etc
4. Apply Noise reduction (Photoshop plug-in) when needed
5. Apply USM to my liking/feel/effect
6. Resize image to printout size

At Step one, the whole picture is what I want, so I merely crop off the top and bottom part of the picture (I want to print on 4R which is 6 x 4 inches in size) and have a cropped size of 2560 x 1706 pixels. At Step 6, I already know what size I want to printout, knowing that the max printing resolution at a normal digital printing shop is 300DPI, the final size should be (6x300) by (4x300) or 1800 x 1200 pixels in short. With a cropped picture of 2560 x 1706, I will resize it to 1800 x 1200 for printing on 4R. If I want to print at Super 8R (12 x 8 inches), I will need 3600 x 2400 pixels at 300DPI or 1800 x 1200 at 150DPI. I would think that a digital imaging shop (photo shop that develop and prints photos) using FujiFilm machine will not bother about the DPI/PPI, rather it bothers about the pixel size you send for printing. If the pixels are not right they will simply resize for you.

So my advice is, unless you want to print out later, there is no need for you to bother to change the DPI/PPI for every picture, as the quality will be the same. For a 2560 x 1920 with 72DPI picture it is 35.55 x 26.66 inches, at 300DPI it is 8.53 x 6.4 inches. Still the same picture at the end of the day.

theITguy said:
OK, I am sorry to say this but anyone who wanna do digital imaging/photography should go search for information on DPI, PPI and how they actually work. DPI stands for Dots Per Inch and PPI for Pixel Per Inch. Basically both are the same, with the former more for printing on printers and the latter for working to get your size right. My sister who is good in photography knows nothing about this until recently when I taught her how to work in Photoshop.

Your FZ20 output has a max size of 2560 x 1920 pixels. It does not matter how DPI/PPI it is set at, as the size will always be 2560 x 1920 pixels (this you MUST remember). DPI/PPI is useful only when you want to calculate the size output for PRINTING (note this is mainly my personal opinion so it may differ from how others actually work). My work flow from shooting to printout is as below

1. Shoot at highest size (2560x1920) in JPEG
2. Crop out the picture/portion I want (no resizing done)
3. Adjust the colour/contrast/saturation etc
4. Apply Noise reduction (Photoshop plug-in) when needed
5. Apply USM to my liking/feel/effect
6. Resize image to printout size

At Step one, the whole picture is what I want, so I merely crop off the top and bottom part of the picture (I want to print on 4R which is 6 x 4 inches in size) and have a cropped size of 2560 x 1706 pixels. At Step 6, I already know what size I want to printout, knowing that the max printing resolution at a normal digital printing shop is 300DPI, the final size should be (6x300) by (4x300) or 1800 x 1200 pixels in short. With a cropped picture of 2560 x 1706, I will resize it to 1800 x 1200 for printing on 4R. If I want to print at Super 8R (12 x 8 inches), I will need 3600 x 2400 pixels at 300DPI or 1800 x 1200 at 150DPI. I would think that a digital imaging shop (photo shop that develop and prints photos) using FujiFilm machine will not bother about the DPI/PPI, rather it bothers about the pixel size you send for printing. If the pixels are not right they will simply resize for you.

So my advice is, unless you want to print out later, there is no need for you to bother to change the DPI/PPI for every picture, as the quality will be the same. For a 2560 x 1920 with 72DPI picture it is 35.55 x 26.66 inches, at 300DPI it is 8.53 x 6.4 inches. Still the same picture at the end of the day.

Alright.. my main concern was regarding print outs at 8R, and in some competitions that I took part in, they had a requirement for the printout and cd with the images with 300dpi. Thus I was just worried about this. And I wasn't sure about this issue since it is a misconception to ppl who don't really understand photoshop.

But anyway thanks for clearing up the doubts for me.

mpenza said:
8R at 300 dpi meant an image that's 2400x3000.

Ok.. I understand already.. thanks! and sorry.. realised that this issue has been goin around after i saw the link ;p but still new to the area so only searched the Panasonic corner.. :sweat:

yann-evelyn said:
Alright.. my main concern was regarding print outs at 8R, and in some competitions that I took part in, they had a requirement for the printout and cd with the images with 300dpi. ....
mpenza said:
8R at 300 dpi meant an image that's 2400x3000.
That will be 7 MP?
How can we take part in those competitions (even though I am still way out)? :embrass:
Our FZ20 output has a max size of 2560 x 1920 pixels.
If I want to print at 8R (10"x 8"), shall I send 1500 x 1200 at 150dpi, or just crop to 2560x2048 to the digital imaging shop ? Quality will be the same?

Crop to 10 x 8 ratio and resize to 3000 x 2400, this way you will know what you are printing while trying to maintain the quality. Downsizing most likely will reduce the details. But it does not mean upsizing will not just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.