Doubt on landscape photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbsubhash

Jul 4, 2007
Bukit Panjang
Hi,

where to focus when we shoot 17mm focal length in an image? I shoot some landscapes in India and found most them not sharp or completly focus when i check on the computer. Is there any option in to shoot in infinity mode to get everything sharp in an image?
pls help

Subhash

all shoot in infinite focus and stop it down (ie smaller aperture)

also, remember if u're using DSLR or any digicam, u need some post-processing (ie USM)

Where to focus can be subjective according to ur creativity and composition hence may have some variations.

To keep good depth of field with a wide angle lens I keep it simple by stepping down to f8-11 and focus somewhere from a third to the middle of the picture. ( my lazy rule of thumb doesn always apply , occassionally i get caught when i go home and review the shots )

The knowledge of hyperfocal focusing to maximise depth of field with a smaller aperture might be useful, but most of the time i got minimal time for more meddling.

Alternatively on a DSLR, tilting the lens plane and stepping down can give u much more DOF than normal would

Ryan

Last edited:
Hi,

where to focus when we shoot 17mm focal length in an image? I shoot some landscapes in India and found most them not sharp or completly focus when i check on the computer. Is there any option in to shoot in infinity mode to get everything sharp in an image?
pls help

Subhash

show the picture. it really depends on what you're talking about.

how to add photos here? my camera is nikon d80 with kit lense

you need to upload the image to either an external gallery or the clubsnap galleries

and then, find out how to link them (it depends).. and then use
tags to insert picture

alternatively, you can just show us the link to the external site you have linked it to, where it is on display.. just need a look at it. :)

Where to focus can be subjective according to ur creativity and composition hence may have some variations.

To keep good depth of field with a wide angle lens I keep it simple by stepping down to f8-11 and focus somewhere from a third to the middle of the picture. ( my lazy rule of thumb doesn always apply , occassionally i get caught when i go home and review the shots )

The knowledge of hyperfocal focusing to maximise depth of field with a smaller aperture might be useful, but most of the time i got minimal time for more meddling.

Alternatively on a DSLR, tilting the lens plane and stepping down can give u much more DOF than normal would

Ryan

Thanks for your reply.

you need to upload the image to either an external gallery or the clubsnap galleries

and then, find out how to link them (it depends).. and then use
tags to insert picture

alternatively, you can just show us the link to the external site you have linked it to, where it is on display.. just need a look at it. :)

THis is one of them..
DSC_69821.JPG

Last edited:
Apply the rule of two-thirds.

If, for some reason, you want to accent the vastness of the land position the mountain/horizon a little bit higher (lesser sky, more green field).

Otherwise, if you want to accent the sky (cloud formation, etc.), position the mountain a little bit lower (more sky, lesser green field).

And as most have suggested, focus to infinity and smaller aperture.

Basically, you need to read up more on:

1. rule of two thirds
  2. aperture and DOF

and just in case you don't know how to focus to infinity, read you camera and lens manuals.

f/8, 1.250, iso-500 focal length-18mm

then the picture should be relatively fine. this is not one which requires extreme depth of field.

so the only conclusion is either the softness present is due to one of 4:

1) noise reduction in camera or post process equivalent
2) hand shake (unlikely, but not impossible if there is no correct hand holding technique)
3) your picture quality is not set to max, leading to jpg compression
4) the scene itself is soft due to mist, i personally think this is the most likely

THis is one of them..

tink you "overshot" on your infinity.:think:

Did you use AF or MF?

I don't use Nikon, but IIRC, once subject is in focus, you should get focus confirmation in your VF.

tink you "overshot" on your infinity.:think:

Did you use AF or MF?

I don't use Nikon, but IIRC, once subject is in focus, you should get focus confirmation in your VF.

i used AF.. i dont know how to shoot infinity mode in d80

Last edited:
then the picture should be relatively fine. this is not one which requires extreme depth of field.

so the only conclusion is either the softness present is due to one of 4:

1) noise reduction in camera or post process equivalent
2) hand shake (unlikely, but not impossible if there is no correct hand holding technique)
3) your picture quality is not set to max, leading to jpg compression
4) the scene itself is soft due to mist, i personally think this is the most likely

thanks for your valuable time and comment.. i also feel that picture look soft.. many of may pictures looks almost same..

Last edited:
Hi,

pls help

Subhash

What's your aperture?

Status
Not open for further replies.