Double Shadow Transits on Jupiter - 16 Oct 2013

astrosg

Deregistered
Jun 2, 2012
Source: http://www.astro.sg/2013/10/double-shadow-transits-on-jupiter-16.html

Double Shadow Transits on Jupiter - 16 Oct 2013

Today is Tuesday 15 Oct 2013, hereby wishing all Muslims Selamat Hari Raya Aidiladha!

As mentioned in my previous blog, there are 3 double shadow transits visible from Singapore this month.

The first such occurrence is happening in about 10 hours from now. These are all in Singapore Standard Time which is 8 hours ahead of Universal Time. (Source: WinJUPOS 10.0.21)

Date: Wednesday 16 October 2013
Time: 01:28am - 03:20am
Location of Jupiter: East North East (ENE)
Jupiter rising above horizon: 00:48 am (16 Oct 2013)

The 2 shadows will be casted by 2 moons of Jupiter - Io and Europa

Europa Shadow Transit: 00:43am - 03:19am
Io Shadow Transit: 01:28am - 03:40am

Jupiter will not rise higher than 40° during this double shadow transit. Not the best highest position to catch this transit but good enough if the weather co-operates.

For the past few days weather has not been kind. As I am blogging about this now, sky is a little bluish after a heavy downpour earlier this morning. Jupiter only takes up a very small spot in the sky. You just need that spot to be clear enough even for a short while during this shadow transit period to enjoy a view that few on Earth knows about, let alone seeing it!

Some interesting thing to do for such shadow transits:

- Take photos and videos and show your friends what they missed! :)
- Observe Io and Europa getting very very close to Jupiter before "disappearing" in front of its glare. It will look like a small white "pimple"on Jupiter.
- Usually we see can see 4 moons of Jupiter as 4 dots surrounding a bright disc. Tonight, 2 of them is going to "disappear". Leaving the other 2 (Callisto and Ganymede) roughly at equal distance on each side of Jupiter.
- Take precise measurements on the entrance and exit of Io and Europa and they shadows on Jupiter. Then compare with your astronomical apps and software and see how accurate they are.
- Jupiter is a sphere. So the shadows casted on it will not be perfectly round black dots, especially near the limbs of Jupiter. See if you manage to observe that under high enough magnification through telescopes.
- Use this opportunity to test the capabilities of your binoculars, telescopes and photographic gear.
- Observe it with your family and friends to make it an even more memorable outing!

Weather permitting, due to the early morning hours, I should be observing it alone or with my friends. Follow my tweets to find out if luck is on our side! Tweet #JupiterSG if you are observing this event too!

jup-2013-10-16.JPG

Image Credit: Computer animation by WinJUPOS.

So good luck, clear skies and stay awake everybody!!

Last edited:
For those who are keen to shoot and have no access to telescopes, just give it a try with whatever camera and zoom lenses you have. Mount them on a stable tripod and shoot Jupiter. Even if you can't capture the black dots, you can try time-lapse photography and frame all the 4 moons and Jupiter together. You may create a nice video showing these 2 moons "disappearing/appearing". Good luck, have fun!

*Weather permitting* overnight stargazing tonight. From 11:30pm tonight onwards (15 Oct) till tomorrow sunrise.

Venue: McDonald's at Bishan Park.

Main target: Jupiter and Comet ISON.

Will be bringing a 10-inch dobsonian telescope along. Come join us if you are free.

In the event I cannot update this thread in time, please follow my tweets @astrosg for latest updates (e.g. change of location in park).

Good luck to all shadow chasers and comet hunters!

UPDATE: Event at Bishan Park tonight cancelled due to bad weather! :)

There will be another rare double shadow transit across Jupiter early tomorrow morning.

Date: Wednesday, 23 October 2013
Time: 03:22am - 05:34am
Location of Jupiter: East North East (ENE)
Jupiter rising above horizon: 00:23am (23 Oct 2013)

The two shadows will be casted by the two moons of Jupiter - Io and Europa.

Europa Shadow Transit: 03:19am - 05:56am
Io Shadow Transit: 03:22am - 05:33am

jup-2013-10-23.JPG

More info: Double Shadow Transits on Jupiter - 23 Oct 2013

I am satisfied with you and you are in right .

So, how did it all go Guys? I have watched these for years, imaged a few of them as well, (ages ago).
Nice to see some astro input.
Gary

Hi Gary. Managed to take a photo of the shadows with my handphone through a telescope on Oct 23. Will blog and post next week after my library talk and comet ison hunting. :) Gary.