Double exposure on film

Status
Not open for further replies.

behyx

Jun 15, 2002
SG
how can i do double exposure using film? How do we meter and how many stops do we overexpose each frame?

That’s depend on what camera you use, and what kind of double exposes of multiple exposes you want to archived, if it’s like 2 images overlapping, you underexposure each images by one stop.

if it’s no overlapping, it should be no changing of exposure.

Hope this help.

catchlights said:
That’s depend on what camera you use, and what kind of double exposes of multiple exposes you want to archived, if it’s like 2 images overlapping, you underexposure each images by one stop.

if it’s no overlapping, it should be no changing of exposure.

Hope this help.

Probably a scene where there sky (background) is too bright and the buildings (foreground) is normal lit. If i take a single exposure with the buildings correctly expose, the sky will be blown out, if i take a beautifully expose sky, the buildings will be terribly underexpose.

but from what you said, underexpose each image by 1 stop, won't it make the overall picture dark when i put the 2 frames together and print/scan?

all i know is that every subsequent frame must underexpose by 1 stop relative to the previous frame.

or is it the other way round..that means the first shot must underexpose..lol i havent done it in a long time liaos

behyx said:
Probably a scene where there sky (background) is too bright and the buildings (foreground) is normal lit. If i take a single exposure with the buildings correctly expose, the sky will be blown out, if i take a beautifully expose sky, the buildings will be terribly underexpose.

but from what you said, underexpose each image by 1 stop, won't it make the overall picture dark when i put the 2 frames together and print/scan?
Most people will use gradual ND filters for this kind of shot if it is daylight scene. You can’t have a double exposure for this kind of scene without masking.

catchlights said:
Most people will use gradual ND filters for this kind of shot if it is daylight scene. You can’t have a double exposure for this kind of scene without masking.

Yup, this is the way to deal with such a scene, especially with colors.

If you are using black& white, you may "darken" the sky with colored filters like a deep yellow or orange. Red is usally too dramatic and makes foliage very dark. The sky can then be burned in during printing.

1 stop for both shots will do

Status
Not open for further replies.