Dots inside camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ding5678

Sep 20, 2011
Singapore
My friend asked me why he had dots in his canon dslr camera. He has used it for only 6 months and he can see small dots in his viewfinder. I adviced him to clean the mirror.
Unfortunately, the dots are still there. Do you guys know how much it will cost if he go to Canon Service Center and have the dots removed?

Dirt could be in the VF itself, or on the focusing screen.

In any case, it doesn't affect the pictures; you can bring it down for cleaning, but my advice is to get used to it and leave it alone until it really gets too unbearable. I had used my K20D for 3 years, and I was not bothered by the dust in the VF. I am not sure how bad it is, but it's only 6 months, I doubt it will be that bad.

Hi edutilos, thanks for the reply. I checked his VF and its not really that bad and It doesnt affect the IQ. Although he really wants it to be removed. Do you have an idea how much is the cleaning cost at CSC?

No idea but I doubt it will be costly...
I have a single speck of dust on my focusing screen, but then I thought that if NSC (mine's Nikon) gets the dust particle out, I cant guarantee that after the next mirror flop no dust gets in...and its not 100% risk free to do it myself. Hence, I decided to live with it....

But I have a question.. does every seasoned DSLR have foreign matter on the focusing screen? I havent been using a DSLRs for long enough to know...

Last edited:
@Samuels, I dont think all seasoned DSLR camera will have a foreign matter on the VF. I think it depends on how you use it. Anyway, thanks for your reply.

TS... maybe you should call CSC up yourself and ask for a quotation. That is the most accurate way of getting the cost.

But like everyone else... I would advise you to tell your friend to let it go... no need to clean as long as dust don't affect pic quality... or just buy a rocket blower and blow... but don't try to use cloth or whatsnot to wipe at the focusing screen for fear of scratching it.

Please note that dust is everywhere... if your friend is so particular about it... then he will be going to CSC much more often then he would like.

I think it's a bad idea to tell novice users to clean mirrors and focusing screens. They are just as likely to cause more damage if they don't know what they are doing.
BTW the thing about using a blower -- you may just blow the dust off you mirror and have it land somewhere else, maybe on your sensor.

Dust in viewfinder is normal. It is just like sensor dust. As long as you use the camera, dust will enter.

You can clean the dust, but it will come back again. Since dust in vf doesn't affect the photo, maybe you should just leave it as is.

Don't attempt to clean the viewfinder yourself, unless you know what you are doing. Focus screen/mirror are quite fragile.

Dust in viewfinder is normal. It is just like sensor dust. As long as you use the camera, dust will enter.

You can clean the dust, but it will come back again. Since dust in vf doesn't affect the photo, maybe you should just leave it as is.

Don't attempt to clean the viewfinder yourself, unless you know what you are doing. Focus screen/mirror are quite fragile.

Agreed!!.. just leave it alone... haha in time to come you will get use to it.. i am also having the same problem.. which i believe most of the people here in the forum is facing it too... wait till the condition is really unbearable then send for servicing...

Status
Not open for further replies.