don't know which lens to get..

izerkudie

Jan 1, 2010
still confused with which lens to match with my canon 7d for outdoor portrait, as i will be getting a new lense..any friends or brothers please share your advice

Canon EF 200mm?
Canon EF 135mm?
Canon EF 24-105mm?

or any recommendation?:dunno:

Get the 24-105. It's a pretty good lens, plus you get the versatility of using it as a walkabout lens. 200mm and 135mm will probably be too long for portraits since you're using a crop body. The only problem is it's f4, which might not give you much bokeh, so alternatively you might want to consider the 85 f/1.8 or the 50 f/1.8 instead.

still confused with which lens to match with my canon 7d for outdoor portrait, as i will be getting a new lense..any friends or brothers please share your advice

Canon EF 200mm?
Canon EF 135mm?
Canon EF 24-105mm?

erm ur lenses aren't really for portrait... except maybe the 135mm
if u normal, recommend u get a 17-55 or 17-50 f2.8
if u rich, buy the 24-70 f2.8
if u poor, buy the 50mm f1.8

:)

sigma 24-70 f2.8 is also in the normal range. its worth considering cos of its price.

If it's strictly portraits, then get the Canon EF 135mm. But then it more for face and half body. 135mm on a cropped camera is already quite tight so 200mm will be even worse.

If you intend to do more full body shot,get the 24-105

Last edited:
If it's strictly portraits, then get the Canon EF 135mm. But then it more for face and half body. 135mm on a cropped camera is already quite tight so 200mm will be even worse.

If you intend to do more full body shot,get the 24-105

pardon me. 135mm x 1.6 crop factor = 216mm. On top of that, min. focus distance is 1.3m. Isn't it too difficult to take portraits with that? Just wondering cuz i always thought 35mm - 50mm will be good for portraitures on a cropped body.

Last edited:

Canon EF 200mm?
Canon EF 135mm?
Canon EF 24-105mm?

Rent and test. You need to determine for yourself which lens fits your shooting style most.

Canon EF 200mm?
Canon EF 135mm?
Canon EF 24-105mm?

Why did you shortlist these 3 in the first place?
What kind of portraits you looking for? Full body/Half body/Head shot?

pardon me. 135mm x 1.6 crop factor = 216mm. On top of that, min. focus distance is 1.3m. Isn't it too difficult to take portraits with that? Just wondering cuz i always thought 35mm - 50mm will be good for portraitures on a cropped body.

yes 135mm x 1.6 crop factor = 216mm which means that the photographer will have to stand pretty far away already. So imagine, for the 200mm(X1.6= 320), the photographer will even have to stand further... not impossible... but then you might need to shout to give instructions to the models consider the distance.

the min focus means that the lens will not focus less than 1.3m. Meaning that if you are standing just 1m away from the model, it will not be able to focus.

it doesnt mean that it will not focus when you are more than 1.3m (eg 2m away)

hope you understand what I am trying to explain

yes for a cropped body,35mm - 50mm is ideal. But if the photographer likes to take more face close-ups, that means he will have to get closer if he's on a 35mm length. Being close to the model might cause some "distortion" that might cause the model's face to look rounder and the nostrils to look enlarged etc

hence TS should state what kind of portraits he normally does so that CSers can advise better

Last edited:
yes 135mm x 1.6 crop factor = 216mm which means that the photographer will have to stand pretty far away already. So imagine, for the 200mm(X1.6= 320), the photographer will even have to stand further... not impossible... but then you might need to shout to give instructions to the models consider the distance.

the min focus means that the lens will not focus less than 1.3m. Meaning that if you are standing just 1m away from the model, it will not be able to focus.

it doesnt mean that it will not focus when you are more than 1.3m (eg 2m away)

hope you understand what I am trying to explain

yes for a cropped body,35mm - 50mm is ideal. But if the photographer likes to take more face close-ups, that means he will have to get closer if he's on a 35mm length. Being close to the model might cause some "distortion" that might cause the model's face to look rounder and the nostrils to look enlarged etc

hence TS should state what kind of portraits he normally does so that CSers can advise better

Easier still, like what Rashkae said, go rent these shortlisted lenses and try on your own.

The main points are what you have written, on top of all the factors of considerations, there is the TS's own preferences.

hi guys, thanks for the info & feedbacks,
im looking at fullbody & body, maybe i shall try out this weekend;)

Bro try to rent the lens and decide which one you prefer. If you chose EF 135mm F2. Most likely face + shoulder but zoom with your legs. try EF 35mm F1.4 if you have no budget. Prime lens got to get use to it by zooming with your feet

why didnt you include 24-70 f2.8?? it's a pretty good choice as well!

Yes 24-70F2.8L is a good choice but in term of bokeh 85F1.2L is still better:devil:

Nope 85L is a better choice but looking at price wise TS may not consider.

@ 85 TS can take face shot at a friendlier distance. Half & full body, just have to let the leg do its job.

It just work the same way for 50L isn't it? For face shots, just take a few steps forward. For full body shots, can work at a friendly distance w/o having to shout..

It's not clear cut that 85L is a better choice.. probably subject to the individual's style and preference. But of coz it is a very attractive lens.

Yes, EF 200mm f2 :devil:

It just work the same way for 50L isn't it? For face shots, just take a few steps forward. For full body shots, can work at a friendly distance w/o having to shout..

It's not clear cut that 85L is a better choice.. probably subject to the individual's style and preference. But of coz it is a very attractive lens.

Like what you say subject to individual preference. With 50mm i feel that i am too close to the model when doing face shot. That why 85mm is my choice.:)