Don't Ever Do This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

exhibitj

Sep 25, 2005
Singapore NE
www.flickr.com
Dont Ever Do THis!!!

I was out to sell my camera bag last saturday, so since I didn't have any substitute bag until i headed to buy my new replacement camera bag a few hours later, I placed my D50 with my 50mm insidde a ziplock bag and inside a normal waitpouch and walked ard with it.

An hour later when i took my camera out to shoot at Little India--To My Horrors!!-- the Hoya UV filter protecting the 50mm had cracked and the Nikon Lens Cap was stuck in the filter circular frame!!!! Unbeknownst to me, the D50 must have knocked against something while I was walking around!

I shook the camera and heard the distinctive *chinks chinks* sound of glass! Luckily, i managed to remove the Lens cap and headed straight to TK Photo and James there helped me to blow the loose pieces out!

I might seem stupid to just put my camera in a normal waistpouch and walk around, but i want to share this annecdote with everyone so that No One Commits the Same Mistake as Silly me!:nono:

What a tough ang frightening experience! Ouch!:sticktong

Time to get a better piece of glass.

James should list that as 1 of the top 10 stories of 2005

Oh, so you were the one James mentioned to me today when I was at TK. :D

all along I've been putting my cam in my waist pouch, so far nothing happened. even climbed mountain like dat

quekky said:
all along I've been putting my cam in my waist pouch, so far nothing happened. even climbed mountain like dat
Me too. did that for my entire oversea trip. No problem.

quekky said:

same here. maybe your lense cap not good design?

once i had my D70 w/ kit lens in a lowepro offroad and it fell of my waist and on to the floor. open up the lens cap to find the hoya UV filter shattered. cleaned it up myself still works till today :D now i got a B+W on the front haha.... :bsmilie:

exhibitj said:
Dont Ever Do THis!!!

I was out to sell my camera bag last saturday, so since I didn't have any substitute bag until i headed to buy my new replacement camera bag a few hours later, I placed my D50 with my 50mm insidde a ziplock bag and inside a normal waitpouch and walked ard with it.

An hour later when i took my camera out to shoot at Little India--To My Horrors!!-- the Hoya UV filter protecting the 50mm had cracked and the Nikon Lens Cap was stuck in the filter circular frame!!!! Unbeknownst to me, the D50 must have knocked against something while I was walking around!

I shook the camera and heard the distinctive *chinks chinks* sound of glass! Luckily, i managed to remove the Lens cap and headed straight to TK Photo and James there helped me to blow the loose pieces out!

I might seem stupid to just put my camera in a normal waistpouch and walk around, but i want to share this annecdote with everyone so that No One Commits the Same Mistake as Silly me!:nono:

What a tough ang frightening experience! Ouch!:sticktong

oh well... so lesson learnt. at least the cam wasn't damaged. :)

time to invest in a lowepro waist-pouch. :thumbsup:

SianZronG said:
now i got a B+W on the front haha.... :bsmilie:
:think: maybe i can do this & have excuse to get a new camera :bsmilie:

SianZronG said:
i just realised....

jsbn "almost the same like" espn

haha....
SianZrong :kok: What talking you :nono:

:bsmilie:

michhy said:
same here. maybe your lense cap not good design?

The lens cap os the original Nikon one that came with the kit lens leh...Nikon original should be ok!

Impt thing is: Be careful when you place your cam in normal waistpouch as there are no paddings inside to absord shock when you unkonwingly knock into something!

Or maybe it could be that the Hoya UV filter i bought had manufacturing defect (ie, glass weakened by somthing initially before i bought it)! Any one knows how to check the quality of filters when purchasing then???

Oh, i was there when you brought your camera in. T.K was crowded that day too. I think safest way is to put in a well cushioned bag especially camera equipment because of the glass elements. Maybe get a small bag for convenience.

SianZronG said:
i just realised....

jsbn "almost the same like" espn

haha....
The art of confusion, thus ppl like espn and jbma better start changing their nicknames. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.