Don't buy Xbox360 - Ring of Death!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nottipiglet

Apr 20, 2006
Needless to say, I have an Xbox 360. Right now, I think it's one piece of junk.

I bought it sometime last December, but I have not been using it much. Recently, there has been some news and write-ups about the Xbox having a design flaw, which will lead to your Xbox console displaying the dreaded red ring of death before it freezes and dies.

So, I went to the web to find out more. Some people documented the flaw on the web, saying that it is because of a design flaw with the heatsinks, which don't work very well. Given time and reasonable use, the Xbox360 will die from the infamous red ring problem.

Microsoft has extended the warranty to 3 years for this problem.

After hearing about this, I decided to use my Xbox a bit more. So, I bought a couple of new games and gave it a go... about 2 hours each night. Guess what! My Xbox just died from the red ring of death last week! Darn!

So, I called their helpline. I was told to do a list of things like unplugging, etc... After jumping through some hoops, they agreed to replace my set for a refurbished set. But I have to wait for at least 10 days or longer! They will call me once the set is ready!

I think what they are doing is this. They will take in these burned out sets... then fix them. After which , they will give you the fixed sets and take in your set. I don't like this arrangement at all...

1. Why must I wait (at least) 10 days for a refurbished set? After all, they designed the thing poorly. Why don't they have ready machines for replacements since they are at fault?

2. Why must I settle for a machine that someone has burned out before? Yes, it's fixed, but my guess is, it will be less reliable after that.

3. Why did they not recall these badly designed things and fix them before they get burned? Any responsible company would have done that.

When I wrote in to tell them that the waiting period was not acceptable, they just told me that the Xbox Team told me that there is nothing wrong with the Xbox design and a vast majority of their customers are having a great time, etc.

Then I asked them how they can deny that there was a design flaw when the red ring of death was well publicised... To which, they replied that my feedback will be collated with other feedbacks and prioritised accordingly. Oh... and they added that customer satisfaction was their priority.

Well... If only I'd known all these earlier, I would have bought another console.

yea my bro has the same problem
he keeps bringing it for repair coz it keeps encountering the ring of death
and it sucks
micro$oft's done it again

buy the Wii and it will be the death of your TV if you are not carefull :bsmilie:

buy the Wii and it will be the death of your TV if you are not carefull :bsmilie:

Hmm...What do you mean? Lose grip of the remote control while swinging and fling it at the TV isit??

The 360 "Ring of Death" issue is VERY well known. You should only consider a 360 after the next CPU revisions.

Though i prefer a PS3, especially for blu-ray...

PS3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anything from M$, cannot be bought. :bsmilie:

lucky i choose to buy 2nd ps2, wii.....

wii damn funny, my arms are always been trained..to swing, and throw..

now playing FF12, haha...

wii must buy, damn cool.....:cool:

I'm on my third Xbox 360 and my advice is to make sure it is very well ventilated. I had the same crappy waiting times to replace it but it is worth the wait for sure. Just play Bioshock and all will be forgiven I am sure.

Mind you, I have the Wii as well and it is great. Resident Evil 4 is fantastic!

I'm on my third Xbox 360 and my advice is to make sure it is very well ventilated. I had the same crappy waiting times to replace it but it is worth the wait for sure. Just play Bioshock and all will be forgiven I am sure.

Mind you, I have the Wii as well and it is great. Resident Evil 4 is fantastic!

;p RE4!!!! ;p

i dunno abt why they need 10 days but confirm it is not a refurbished set. sgp has no facility to repair the consoles yet so what u get is a new one. i had one died on me early this yr. so far the new set no problem.

i dunno abt why they need 10 days but confirm it is not a refurbished set. sgp has no facility to repair the consoles yet so what u get is a new one. i had one died on me early this yr. so far the new set no problem.

Maybe thats why it is 10 days. 10 days to bring in a refurbished set?

Status
Not open for further replies.