Donating photos to overseas ZOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Apr 27, 2002
www.asianhomebiz.com
I was approached by someone from abroad pertaining to one of the pixs I took of a Black-throated laughing thrush. He would like to use it for this zoo exhibit (signboard) in Houston. We communicated via email.

I am quite OK about this as long as it's for a good cause but am a little lost as to what to ask being a first timer.

Ur advice will be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Jeff

Whether you retain rights to the photos, acknowledgments and payment (if at all).

Just sent you a PM. Normally, the zoos, Science Centers, etc don't pay. Maybe you get an acknowledgement.

Robert

That may be the local practice but can you be sure its the same overseas. Also this indivual is he/she from the zoo or some one some how affliated. You would not want to hand over a photo that is sold by that some one to the zoo. Also limit the use which you allow the picture to be use - although you have in reality no contol over how the image is used after you hand it over it at least does give you some rights if you do come across the image be used in a manner contrary to what you allowed for.

It has been said by other photogs that if an insitution wants to use an image bad enough they will pay. After all most zoo do charge for admission.

Ask for credits to appear on the image where and when it is used. That what I insisted for a web site owner who used one of my tiger pictures for a web page on tigers.

insomia said:
That may be the local practice but can you be sure its the same overseas. Also this indivual is he/she from the zoo or some one some how affliated. You would not want to hand over a photo that is sold by that some one to the zoo. Also limit the use which you allow the picture to be use - although you have in reality no contol over how the image is used after you hand it over it at least does give you some rights if you do come across the image be used in a manner contrary to what you allowed for.

It has been said by other photogs that if an insitution wants to use an image bad enough they will pay. After all most zoo do charge for admission.

Ask for credits to appear on the image where and when it is used. That what I insisted for a web site owner who used one of my tiger pictures for a web page on tigers.

An additional note is zoos do get budget from the government one, and their budget shld at least have some set a side for promotional materials so i believe you should be paid frm the funds set aside for that cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.