Donate your unwanted/2nd hand cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

exhibitj

Sep 25, 2005
Singapore NE
www.flickr.com
Hi all,
I am leading a community service trip to Nepal with SMU this Dec. There, we will be building a library and teaching the children in a village some basic English.

Another idea I thought of was giving these kids 2nd hand cameras to take photos of their world; to see the world through their eyes. And perhaps, take the good photos, and have an exhibition in Singapore when my team returns from our expedition.

So, if anyone has any unwanted 2nd hand film cameras, don't throw them away! Donate them to the kids in Nepal!

Please contact me at jason.zhou.2006@smu.edu.sg or 97861712 if you would like to help out in this charitable cause!

Visit www.flickr.com/photos/exhibitj to see what we did last Dec in Nepal!

Our blog: www.projectnamaste2.blogspot.com

I have one at home, but how are you going to pick it up from me?

i have 1 too a Fuji

I find something wrong here.
My instinct tells me something in the story does not gel.

If the Nepalese kids are poor, they probably cannot afford the film and the developing and printing of the photos.
And they may not know how use the cameras properly.

If the cameras are digital, even worse.
How are they going to afford the memory cards, PC or note book, the photo post processing software and know how to use them.

How will donating cameras help them?

I find something wrong here.
My instinct tells me something in the story does not gel.

If the Nepalese kids are poor, they probably cannot afford the film and the developing and printing of the photos.
And they may not know how use the cameras properly.

If the cameras are digital, even worse.
How are they going to afford the memory cards, PC or note book, the photo post processing software and know how to use them.

How will donating cameras help them?

Good point you have raised here!

Firstly, I am only asking for donations of FILM cameras (see my 1st post) due to the reasons you provided above.

Secondly, we intend to bring rolls of film up for them (prob in excess of what we expect), and then develop the photos. The nice ones we print, bring them back for an exhibition in SMU and/or arts related places like the NLB, Asian Civilisation Museum. This could form the basis of fundraising.

The kids get to keep the camera with whatever excess rolls of film we bring up....Hopefully, introducing photography to them will inspire them to pursue it in future.

The villagers there are not dirt poor (they dont beg, its just that, compared to the life we have in Singapore, they are not as well off). They farm, work in the village centres, or pursue migratory work. They usually have a source of income, but I dont expect them to spend it on photography. That being said, I dont think a family will want to go outright to buy a camera, but with one provided to them, the incentive to just buy a roll of film and capture those special family moments, is higher. And that's what we are hoping for here!

Ah.. I have a Vivitar canmera.. One of those cheapo cameras that I got free... No focusing, 28mm lens, no zoom.. Want anot? :embrass:

To those who are doubting this... actually something similar has been done before. Cameras given to Israeli and Palestinian children and then get them to take photos from their point of view and the photos developed by the organisers and used in a competition to promote peace in the Middle East.

Hi folks,

Glad to see that our undergraduates are initiating meaningful projects. I am wondering, in this case, who will be the copyright owner of these photographs: the kids who took the pictures, the group who did the project or SMU? By the way, will the funds raised from exhibiting these photographs be used to help the kids and the villages they come from? I am certain that such ethical issues and many others will be pondered upon before embarking on the trip.

Hi folks,

Glad to see that our undergraduates are initiating meaningful projects. I am wondering, in this case, who will be the copyright owner of these photographs: the kids who took the pictures, the group who did the project or SMU? By the way, will the funds raised from exhibiting these photographs be used to help the kids and the villages they come from? I am certain that such ethical issues and many others will be pondered upon before embarking on the trip.

In terms of coyrights, the photos will be credited to the kids who took them...no doubts on that. If (and we plan to do so) fundraise using these photos, all funds will be channelled to future Project Namaste expeditions to Nepal (this is our second Project Namaste this Dec) as we are self-funded OCIP group. Anyone wanting to know more detailed plans, please email me at jason.zhou.2006@smu.edu.sg

Thanks to iteach for raising these issues! :thumbsup:

Hm.....how about you bring a Canon photo printer with you. And i am sure u will take a lot of photos of them. Then u can print the photos for them to keep it as souvenir?

Will go dig out some stuff, wondering is it still working.....

good luck to your cause man. :)

I have got a Nikon PnS. You will have to come get it from me.

Hm.....how about you bring a Canon photo printer with you. And i am sure u will take a lot of photos of them. Then u can print the photos for them to keep it as souvenir?

Will go dig out some stuff, wondering is it still working.....

Great idea! We already thought of that, and we are hoping Canon will sponsor us one! Let's kep our fingers crossed!

Status
Not open for further replies.