Domke - still in demand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kho King

Jan 20, 2002
shashinki.com
I noticed that with the many new brands in the market - Think Tank Photo, Lowepro, Kata, etc., Cathay Photo although is the official distributor of Domke bag does not bring in as much Domke choice anymore.

Is Domke bag a yesterday bag? Any new young photographers still like Domke?

Which is the most desired model in Domke range? What Domke bag you use and own?

If you are an ex-Domke bag owner and have changed to other brand/model, please share your opinion...why?

If you are a new owner/user of Domke bag, can you share why you choose Domke? Canvas or Ballistic type?

:)

You could call me one of the 'younger' photogs. I bought my Domke F-802 in my mid-20's (which was really not that long ago :) )

To me it is the ultimate messenger bag. If you get the black one, it is professional enough to carry as a laptop bag at work in a corporate setting, tough enough to stand the abuse of international travel and the weather, and versatile enough to do any job imaginable. Even if you are not a photographer it will carry a laptop and all your work gear with ease. I estimate one could fit TWO 17" laptops into it if one was crazy enough to try. In fact many at work have remarked "Nice laptop bag, where did you get it?" not realizing it is filled with good glass :)

It is FAST to work from, fast to change lenses with, fast to get your gear. And it is huge if you know how to pack it right. The design is as perfect as it gets. I have gone through many bags looking for the be-all-end-all messenger bag and this is it.

The only thing I would change is the strap. I don't like the post office pad or the supplied strap, so I replaced it with the Optech bag strap. It fits perfectly into the eyelets of the bag.

I initially thought "cotton canvas" was more like the cotton t-shirts are made of. I couldn't have been more wrong. This cotton canvas stuff has stood up to years of abuse at my hands and come out looking better than all my other bags.

I noticed that with the many new brands in the market - Think Tank Photo, Lowepro, Kata, etc., Cathay Photo although is the official distributor of Domke bag does not bring in as much Domke choice anymore.

Is Domke bag a yesterday bag? Any new young photographers still like Domke?

Which is the most desired model in Domke range? What Domke bag you use and own?

If you are an ex-Domke bag owner and have changed to other brand/model, please share your opinion...why?

If you are a new owner/user of Domke bag, can you share why you choose Domke? Canvas or Ballistic type?

:)

I had three Domke J-series ballistic nylon bags for more than 15 years already, and yet, I have never considered changing or replacing either of them even when two of them have holes and torn areas.

Old Domke bags feel exactly like a pair of well-seasoned jeans. Comfortable and "friendly".

Although I had just acquired a TTP Urban Disguise 40 for general usage, I am still attracted to the Domke F-803/J-803 for its low-profile design, ease of accessing the content and ease of configuration with the padded inserts. However, there are hardly any stores selling Domke bags to do a comparison...

Photobum, are there ballistic nylon in F-series? I thought those will be named as J-series.

I want one but can't find them on shelves anymore...

online shopping to the rescue...

Canvas and Ballistic type, which one is more preferred? J series only have ballistic type right?

I am 24 and yup a fan of Domke. I own a brown F-4AF and ordering another F-5XB from cp soon. The canvas series are really lovely and I totally agree with photobum as Old Domke bags feel exactly like a pair of well-seasoned jeans.
Classic yet rugged!
Sweet! ;)

Photobum, are there ballistic nylon in F-series? I thought those will be named as J-series.

You are right. They are J-series.

Anyway, I bought all three of them from the US. Prices there are so much cheaper than here.

Canvas and Ballistic type, which one is more preferred? J series only have ballistic type right?

If you fly or travel frequently, like I did when I was working as a freelance photojournalist for The Kansas City Star, then the ballistic nylon bag is your choice.

If you are a street shooter or a hobbyist, the canvas bag feels soft and comfortable to use.

Hi, I have a Domke F-804, love the bag and became my event bag now, big container to put alot of stuff. No padding and dividers, but creat flexibilty in equipment arrangement. Below is a short review with pictures on this bag taken something back (Do scroll further down for more pictures). I also had reviewed this bag in B&H. Cheers!

Domke F-804 in CS

No padding and dividers, but creat flexibilty in equipment arrangement.

Similarly, I don't use the paddings and dividers, thus had them removed. If I need cushions, I prefer to use Domke lens wraps. Otherwise, for my day-to-day shooting, I just leave it bare.

You are right. They are J-series.

Anyway, I bought all three of them from the US. Prices there are so much cheaper than here.

Hi, I have a Domke F-804, love the bag and became my event bag now, big container to put alot of stuff. No padding and dividers, but creat flexibilty in equipment arrangement. Below is a short review with pictures on this bag taken something back (Do scroll further down for more pictures). I also had reviewed this bag in B&H. Cheers!

Domke F-804 in CS

The F-804 now seems like a more versatile shoulder bag than the UD40/50 and doesn't appear as bulky. Swee. Then may I ask if you guys find the post-office shoulder pad to be comfortable for the load you are carrying? Is the shoulder strap removable as I am considering switching it to the OpTech S.O.S strap.

When you guys mentioned using the wraps for protection, won't that make switching lenses more difficult?

The F-804 now seems like a more versatile shoulder bag than the UD40/50 and doesn't appear as bulky. Swee. Then may I ask if you guys find the post-office shoulder pad to be comfortable for the load you are carrying? Is the shoulder strap removable as I am considering switching it to the OpTech S.O.S strap.

When you guys mentioned using the wraps for protection, won't that make switching lenses more difficult?

Bro, I can only answered the first paragraph. The post office shoulder pad is a rubber material to hold the bag in place on your shoulder without slipping. The design is tapered, especially good for users with low shoulders. The shoulder strap is sewed onto the bag, cannot be removed. However, there are loops on the bag side for users to put another shoulder strap on their preference.

I do not use wraps for protection. I used TT Skin to protect my equipment. Cheers!

I have a Domke J2, and that was one of my first camera bags, but being a photo journalist with lots of accessories, spare batteries and flash cards, the J2 will first load up so heavy my 1) shoulders hurt, and 2) there are insufficient pockets and compactments for all my accessories.

I have since converted to a Kata 102 along with a TT system to manage all my things, which seemed a lot more designed focused for the digital age.

try photococan..they have good price for Domke's bag...and the shipping is very reasonable..

Although I had just acquired a TTP Urban Disguise 40 for general usage, I am still attracted to the Domke F-803/J-803 for its low-profile design, ease of accessing the content and ease of configuration with the padded inserts. However, there are hardly any stores selling Domke bags to do a comparison...

Yes there is F3XB...... F3X size in black ballistic

Chalib has more or less answered you.

--------

I am quite a young shooter and I have two Domke bags, the J-1 for when I need to lug lots of gear around, and the F-3X (Canvas) for "lite" applications. I love Domke bags for the ease of use and their design that does not scream "camera bag!" like Lowepro does, even though it is still a tad boxy.

The J-1 has held a EOS 1D II, 24-70 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8L, 2x 580EX, 35 f/2 and 50 f/1.8 all comfortably, and there's still room for accessories, a Lightsphere and a water bottle.

The F-3X I try not to load too much, else it gets heavy and a little unwieldy because of its smaller profile, but it has held a 1DII, 24-70 f/2.8L, 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.8, 580EX, accessories and a water bottle.

Would like to enquire if the ballistic nylon series is as collapsable as the canvas series, or does it stay in shape much like a Lowepro would.

Status
Not open for further replies.