Domke F2 Orginal or Lowepro Compact AW?

Netforce

Jan 23, 2009
Ang Mo Jio
Hi everyone, I'm looking for a photojournalist bag for walkaround shoots in Singapore. Now i'm only left with 2 options, the domke F2 and the lowepro compact. Any opinions on the bags? Also, where can I purchase either one of the bags?

My gear
Canon 50D with grip
Sigma 24-70 f2.8
EF 50mm f1.8 II
580EX II
Batteries
Memory Cards

Thanks.

You can get both from Cathay Photo in Peninsula Plaza (City Hall). I love Domke for what it is... never liked LowePro. Many will beg to differ but point is many will suggest to try the bags out in the store itself.

To date, I have used LowePro, Crumpler and currently settled with Domkes... F-1X, F-2 and F-6

The F-6 is bigger than the F-2 right? But how spacious is it exactly? Sorry but what about the J-1 or J-2 bags? (Domke)

The F-6 is bigger than the F-2 right? But how spacious is it exactly? Sorry but what about the J-1 or J-2 bags? (Domke)

why dun u head down to CP with all ur gear and try them out one by one for the feel, quality and to see which suit ur needs? :)

Else check out this site

http://www.cambags.com/

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a photojournalist bag for walkaround shoots in Singapore. Now i'm only left with 2 options, the domke F2 and the lowepro compact. Any opinions on the bags? Also, where can I purchase either one of the bags?

My gear
Canon 50D with grip
Sigma 24-70 f2.8
EF 50mm f1.8 II
580EX II
Batteries
Memory Cards

Thanks.

domke F2 is canvas and not that stiff.

stiff meaning it doesnt fit around your body if your not carrying alot of gear?

Yeah i just found out. Ok ok i will go down soon to take a look. Thanks.

The whole issue of bags has led me to thinking like any lady, you need a different bag for different occasions. I finally understand her. FWIW, I recommend the F-2 over anything if you ever go with Domke.

I think F3x should be sufficient for your gears

F2 would have a lot of free space for future additional gears ;)

If you are not upgrading your setup for a while, the Domke F-3X (if you don't mind the canvas type) with be the ideal (Domke).

Even if you were to buy new lenses later (those f2.8-f4 zooms) and then a bigger bag, this F-3X is still a pleasant lightweight walkabout shoulder bag.

My gear
Canon 50D with grip
Sigma 24-70 f2.8
EF 50mm f1.8 II
580EX II
Batteries
Memory Cards

Thanks.

I was thinking of the F2 as I would also be bringing my personal belongings. Would the F2 still be very big?

Personal belongings don't "do well" with shoulder bags.

Perhaps you could turn your attention to backpacks.

I had the F2 before scaling down to the F-3X.
(F-3X: I carry everyday including to office; a backpack for holidays)

May I suggest you to look at this site to see the different ways real users "configure" their bags:

http://www.cambags.com/

Like what our earlier CS members mentioned, bags are very personal; better to go down and see for yourself.

any one knows the price for F2 currently??

I had the F2 before scaling down to the F-3X.
(F-3X: I carry everyday including to office; a backpack for holidays)

haha. same here. i chucked my crumpler (non-camera bag) aside and now use my Domke F-3X almost exclusively to carry to office.

i find domke excellent for everyday use. in the past, i could squeeze my 450d, 70-200 f4l, tokina 28-80, canon 50 1.8ii, filter, memory cards, charger and mp3 player, wallet, coin pouch, lens cleaning kit into my domke when i was holidaying in HK. it's got alot of space really. :thumbsup: and it's super convenient to just fish out your cam from a shoulder bag rather than backpack. just my 0.2 cents. cheers