--- Domestic Helper (Maid) Off Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rafael

Deregistered
Jul 5, 2007
Recently one of my friend's maid requests more off days per month, otherwise she will change employer.

To my understanding, most domestic helpers (maid) get 1 paid off day per month. Is this sufficient?

Although I do not employ domestic helper myself, I believe that 2 paid off days per month or once every fortnightly is quite reasonable, and is kind of compromise between the worker and their employer.

In my opinion 1 off day per month is a little not suffice, its like working 29/30 days and rest 1 day. However, once every week is also not convenient to the employer, it defeats their purpose of employing domestic helper.

Does anyone has experience on this matter? Please share.

Once or twice a month is disgusting in my opinion and is not sufficient. They should get one day off a week, usually Sunday or another day if the employer feels its better to have the helper there on a Sunday. One or two days off a month is almost slavery in my opinion!

Allow household to employ more than 1 maid. then it can be alt sundays off for each of them. :devil:

Recently one of my friend's maid requests more off days per month, otherwise she will change employer.

To my understanding, most domestic helpers (maid) get 1 paid off day per month. Is this sufficient?

Although I do not employ domestic helper myself, I believe that 2 paid off days per month or once every fortnightly is quite reasonable, and is kind of compromise between the worker and their employer.

In my opinion 1 off day per month is a little not suffice, its like working 29/30 days and rest 1 day. However, once every week is also not convenient to the employer, it defeats their purpose of employing domestic helper.

Ask yourself if you would want to work when you only get 1-2 days off a month......I don't think the MOM would allow this to happen to Singapore workers:

http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/mompo...t_standards/the_employment_act/Rest_Days.html

HS

i speak from sexpreience....

1) Imagine

It always disgust me to learn/read that in modern and highly educated singapore, there still is a segment of the society that subscribes to modern day slavery. It's a fact that people -- no matter how "low" their status in the society is -- deserve a good rest. It disgusts me even further to learn/read that MOM or the government isn't amenable to putting a "day off" as a right or mandatory -- through legislation -- for these people (someone correct me if I'm wrong on this). Yeah, the government is leaving this matter for the agency and the employer to talk to, in the pretext that different family may have different needs (etc). Sorry to say but I don't really buy that bull. Inconsiderate employers are buying that logic apparently since we hear about this "no day off" horror story every now and then.

Wasn't there a story of some sort in Today a few days back reporting that something like 30+ percent of employers they engaged in a survey (?) have not been giving their maids a day off?! That to me is totally outrageous.

Lastly, how many hours do you think these maids actually work in a day? You've been in stuck a bat cave for so long if you think they work 8 hours a day, just like most of us.

:Later,

Welcome to reality, however disgusting it might be, not that I agree with it, BTW.

Intresting topic

i think its give and take ...treat them good they will return you goodness.

I think its more of how one manages it .you can give them breaks in between every day to go out if there isn't any work etc.

This could be just an excuse to leave the owner :) ..even if you give 4 days leave she/he will leave maybe teh issue is not the leave :)

as long as you make a maid feel that she/he is a worker/servant and not a part of the family these issues will crop up :)

just my 2 cents

Cheers
sudhir

One more way of doing this is allow them to take long leave once a year to visit their family etc while you plan ur holidays etc .

infact so many ways ..but still i feel is it so difficult for one to let them go even a day in a week ?i mean so much dependable on a maid ?

common i think its just a mental blockade i think ...1 day a week or atleast 2 days a month to destress is not unreasonable ..

cheers
Sudhir

So.... how many of you have maids that is always not at home during the days when she was supposed to? How many of you have them telling you that they decided to go home this week and u are supposed to do it? how many of you have them going to MOM to complain when they can't get their ways?

I think there should be 2 sides to a coin. Plus when a maid comes to Singapore, they should know such is the case, and not be complaining about it when it's a done deed.

But in the end, I still feel if u want others to treat u well, then be respectful and treat others well too.

So.... how many of you have maids that is always not at home during the days when she was supposed to? How many of you have them telling you that they decided to go home this week and u are supposed to do it? how many of you have them going to MOM to complain when they can't get their ways?

I think there should be 2 sides to a coin. Plus when a maid comes to Singapore, they should know such is the case, and not be complaining about it when it's a done deed.

But in the end, I still feel if u want others to treat u well, then be respectful and treat others well too.

In my experience the only maids that arnt home when they are supposed to be, the ones that go home without giving notice and complain to MOM are the ones that have been unfairly treated and given no time off, treated like prisoners. Treat them right and on the whole they will be a fantastic addition to the family. Treat them like crap, and what else do you expect?

In my experience the only maids that arnt home when they are supposed to be, the ones that go home without giving notice and complain to MOM are the ones that have been unfairly treated and given no time off, treated like prisoners. Treat them right and on the whole they will be a fantastic addition to the family. Treat them like crap, and what else do you expect?

Ain't I glad that both of us have different experiences, hence able to show two sides of the matter.

Ask yourself if you would want to work when you only get 1-2 days off a month......I don't think the MOM would allow this to happen to Singapore workers:

http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/mompo...t_standards/the_employment_act/Rest_Days.html

HS

During NS, sometimes get no day off....guard duty and extra...training..exercise.:bsmilie:

When working, on call 24 hrs....working through the weekends to rush a job, answer emails and write reports..There are always reports after reports and email after emails..and I am working in a govt dept.....sigh

Site engineers only get an alt sun off every month....

MOM would officially not allow, but the job demands it. :bsmilie: We are paid to do a job that comes with responsibilities. BTW, I do have a family life, ok.

There is a contract and agreement between the employer and the domestic help. Both parties must be happy with the agreement, else there should renegotiate.

I do know of some domestic help who choose not to go out on their day off, as it would mean spending money. Their families are not here, so they would rather save the money to be remitted back home.

Let me give my 2cent's worth.

I have someone close who "owns" a domestic helper and this my observation.

Let me ask everyone, what you understand by the term domestic helper?

From employment point of view, what is their job scope? From what I'd observe, it's EVERY damn housework INCLUSIVE of taking care of young children, fetching to/from school/tuition classes.

Yes, some couples want to work dual income and the govt encourage women to join the workforce. We want that good quality of life and family, and employing maid IS the answer. Cheap and good. That's the sad and hypocritical truth.

For some of the women who don't know how to cook, ah yes, get a maid. I see maids are paid peanuts for the amount of work and responsibility they are demanded to do.

I say more day off for them. I know these dosmestic helpers "employers" begged to differ, they make sure to squeeze their cents worth.

I sometimes see that even on weekends, both parents shun their role and live it to the maid to take care of housework/duties as caregiver.

Having said all that, there are many good "employers" too, but our society seems to treat them as extraordinary rather than the norm.

I don't have a maid and don't need one as I believe in living within my means, and my wife quit her job to be a full-time caregiver. I also cherish my privacy at home to warrant having a domestic helper as I'll be one myself when I'm at home...;)

To blive :

NS = conscripted = LPPL (no say)

Site engineer pay ≠ Domestic worker pay. You want to trade job with a domestic worker?

Whatever contract terms and agreement laid out, I believe they have nothing to say, just sign or go home.

Day off doesn't mean must go out. Just don't disturb them with chores at home. Just let them chill out by themselves.

Let me give my 2cent's worth.

I have someone close who "owns" a domestic helper and this my observation.

Let me ask everyone, what you understand by the term domestic helper?

From employment point of view, what is their job scope? From what I'd observe, it's EVERY damn housework INCLUSIVE of taking care of young children, fetching to/from school/tuition classes.

Yes, some couples want to work dual income and the govt encourage women to join the workforce. We want that good quality of life and family, and employing maid IS the answer. Cheap and good. That's the sad and hypocritical truth.

For some of the women who don't know how to cook, ah yes, get a maid. I see maids are paid peanuts for the amount of work and responsibility they are demanded to do.

I say more day off for them. I know these dosmestic helpers "employers" begged to differ, they make sure to squeeze their cents worth.

I sometimes see that even on weekends, both parents shun their role and live it to the maid to take care of housework/duties as caregiver.

Having said all that, there are many good "employers" too, but our society seems to treat them as extraordinary rather than the norm.

I don't have a maid and don't need one as I believe in living within my means, and my wife quit her job to be a full-time caregiver. I also cherish my privacy at home to warrant having a domestic helper as I'll be one myself when I'm at home...;)

To blive :

Site engineer pay ≠ Domestic worker pay. You want to trade job with a domestic worker?

Whatever contract terms and agreement laid out, I believe they have nothing to say, just sign or go home.

Day off doesn't mean must go out. Just don't disturb them with chores at home. Just let them chill out by themselves.

Very well said :thumbsup:

To blive :

Relax...:bsmilie:

Sign contract = conscripted = LPPL (also no say)...:bsmilie: Certainly you have a choice. We always think we don't have a choice....hmmm. Its really the relationship between employer and domestic helper. You treat each other with respect, everything works fine and everyone gets along.

I already said I don't work as site engineer. I work in the govt before I went for NPL, so I don't get that type of pay. Different job, different responsibilities, therefore different pay. For your information, I work as a maid in my own house. I also got no maid to do my work for me! Plus I don't even get paid! I don't get to chill out from my job either.:embrass:

I never said that I don't support domestic help getting time-off nor should they work 7 days a week. It helps to look at each situation and context too.

Once every week is too inconvenient?! do you live in squalor or do you have OCD that you have to absolutely have the house cleaned every single day? Or do you not know how to cook for yourself or take care of your kids/elder parents?! You get at least the whole weekends off i think the maid is entitled to at least one day per week off. How would u like it if your employer worked you to the bone and only gave you 2 days off a month?!

Today ST page s11 have an editorial on the same issue. It concurs my view.

Status
Not open for further replies.