Domain name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canonised

Aug 27, 2003
Need some feedbacks from experienced members here ....

Do you think it is wise or necessary to register your domain name (company) in as many places as possible or do you think it is a waste of $$$ to do that? :think:

Company is based in Singapore, medium size but may go regional in, say 10 years from now, etc...

Example: www.xyz.com, www.xyz.com.sg, www.xyz.com.my, www.xyz.com.eu, www.xyz.com.cn, www.xyz.com.hk, etc........

get .com 1st... then when you enter the market of that country then get the .com.**

iirc, dunno still like that anot... .com.sg is only available with valid SG ROC.

get .com 1st... then when you enter the market of that country then get the .com.**

iirc, dunno still like that anot... .com.sg is only available with valid SG ROC.

I second that idea man. I am running 6 websites for my company and all I want is *****.com. 10 yrs is a long time. Many things can happen to the internet world including domain name regulation..etc. It is no safe bet to do so.

Also from the point of a typical human being who surf the net. It has been shown from way back till today..."people remember to put a ".com" at the end. Everyone knows it. Alot of those fancy *.tv, *.net or country prefix like *.sg. It is a waste of money to hold them year after year. In fact **.com.sg is not like some powerhouse domain that is a must have. Personally it has never worked for me or my company to put the "sg" there. As much as govt and all that hoopla about making us the best IT hub and all that stuff...in the world...it all means nothing and in fact can or might work against your company's interest. SUrf the web abit you find SIngapore for one reason or another does not have a good B2C reputation. It is one reason you find some sites you go will NOT accept a credit card from any Singapore log on purchase. I remember some sites I went to..but this is sometime back..but it is very low or I should say the top 5 most notorious for online fraud. Maybe our geeks are trying too hard to hack the credit card system or too kiasu with cashback..etc but for sometime now, it has not faired well. Things might have change so don't just take my word for it as I have not research that in a year or so. But it was one of my deciding factor to my management not to use "*.com.sg"
or anything other country domain prefix.

If there was anyone who would steal your domain name it would usually be the "com" first and maybe "net". If you have not noticed, there was a lot of hype going on at ICANN when they came out with all that "**.TV", "**.biz"..etc where are they today? Just another way to scare you and make more money out of you by selling you domains after domains after domains... you get the picture.

If my interest of business is dedicated to just Singapore. Fine..I would get a "com.sg" for example. If I am an international business.. "*.com" is the most important one you MUST have. Even some of the local company that has not spread their business beyond our shores are using "*.com". If you want people to remember your company better...use as short a name and end it with "*.com" why add more character to it like "sg" or "my"...etc. People have short memory or are lazy so the secret is keeping your domain name short.

For someone to want to steal your domain or take on alternative country prefix for example...your business must be really famous for anyone to really care to do it. Also you have the legal means to enforce it if you are that famous in 10 yrs time lah. If you are so worry then you better be prepare to spend even more money as there is more then one way to mislead people into thinking a scam site is really yours. Scammers are now purposely mispelting a domain name just sligthly like microsoft.com becomes micosoft.com and this will transport your customer to another site that could be selling the same things. This might seem lame but it has worked if you know how to creativity use such method. I could go on but suffice to say..get your "*.com" and if you really want..get "*.net" and if you have a school or some commitee or organisation then you get "*.org" But really "*.com" is alot for now. The other two is not going to work for you if there is no relevent to your business...and it makes defending your site later on a problem too as people can accuse you to setting up your real "*.com" site and you set up another one with a country prerfix to cheat if you know what I mean. Get your "*.com"for an international business or even if it is a local one. That's my two cents.

Thanks bro for the well written advice.
Actually back in '90s, when internet was just starting, we were offerred both the xx.com and xx.com.sg However, we were badly advised by the design's company to apply for the xx.com.sg

The following year we realised our mistake and tried to register the xx.com but it was already taken up by an individual. Following that we have registered another xx.com.xx, etc (about 10 types) but realised that it was not much of use and thus let about 4 to expire after 5 years .... now we still have about 5 types but still without the .com .....

Recently we have received this China company who is offering and advising us to register xx.com.cn and xx.com.hk because someone is registering them and they "felt" that we were the legal owners ....and so they are offering us first (?) and if we did not register these, we may have problems next time if we were to enter those markets ...:dunno:

But i think you are right .... probably the .com is the only necessary domain :think:

Domain name is virtual real estate at low cost. I know a chap who register several domain names for investment. He even registered a few of my company (possible names) with various combinations, hoping i get a package from him. I didnt tell him what I had in my mind.

Pay for it and own it before telling too many people. It has no copyright and a domain name collector can sit on your .com domain forever, waiting for you to give in to his calling price. My company domain name was bought over as the (internet) design house went bust and i forgot to renew it. Wrote to them and was totally ignored. The last calling price was usd5k and that idiot didn't even bother to reply after that.

Start with .com then purchase as many extensions that you can envision. (ie .hk, .jp, etc).

It is a sick world out there, just avoid these opportunists.

Thanks bro for the well written advice.
Actually back in '90s, when internet was just starting, we were offerred both the xx.com and xx.com.sg However, we were badly advised by the design's company to apply for the xx.com.sg

The following year we realised our mistake and tried to register the xx.com but it was already taken up by an individual. Following that we have registered another xx.com.xx, etc (about 10 types) but realised that it was not much of use and thus let about 4 to expire after 5 years .... now we still have about 5 types but still without the .com .....

Recently we have received this China company who is offering and advising us to register xx.com.cn and xx.com.hk because someone is registering them and they "felt" that we were the legal owners ....and so they are offering us first (?) and if we did not register these, we may have problems next time if we were to enter those markets ...:dunno:

But i think you are right .... probably the .com is the only necessary domain :think:

Ya....there are alot of "squatters" out there. They would also use bots to crawl about the net looking for domains that is expiring or about to expire and they would keep watch over them to see if any are not renewed. Some people over look this and this is where they will get you. They will pay for it...put up some lame site information to make it look llike they really want to use it for some commercial or whatever use..."but"...if you willing to pay..they might find it in their "heart" to sell it back to you.

This people deals in batch purchase. Since the domain name registration is not longer handle by network solution like a monopoly...there are now many company that will offer you for a fee to register your domain with them And some of them offer really cheap first time registration for the first year. Look at American there is this company called "GoDaddy.com" They are pretty innocative and they use a catchy name for a domain and company name as you can see. They offer something like USD$1.00 for each domain name. Imagine you scour the web to find some possible domain names you could "squat at"..check them out to see if anyone has taken it up or taken it up before..etc. You can also take a gamble and think up some possible names and then you just register them all and then set up the webpage on each of them to sell it to whoever wants it. I heard of people hold hundred of domain names and making money selling them off. That is the sad fact.

"**.com" is still the one to ALWAYS get. IT is universal, everyone remembers it, everyone will alway end up using this as their first line of search online. I am very sure in CHina and Hong Kong it would be the same. ( My company has offices and dealing in HK and China and all the spam I get from china especially all track us just from *.com heheh so who say you need the *.hk or *.cn?)

For example I know your company... and I want to find out more information about it.... So I take a gamble lah..I go online and use yahoo or google hoping you have advertise there or have put in search tag to track you down..etc. OR another way would be to type "www.yourcompanyname" then I end it with ".com" and if you DID register your company name with a domain...out pop your website.

To legally fight for your domain name is dicey and you might not always win. There is also the issue of taking your set of laws..etc and use it to apply on the guilthy party of another country...blah blah...heheh I don't want to get into it but I think you get the picture.

If you really can't use the name you wanted, my advice is let it go. Look for a fresh angle and get another name to establish your company in term of maybe a product name or a theme for example. Since your company is just kicking it in now and you see your growth is more in the coming years...well this is as good a time to learn from your mistake and now take steps to start fresh and protect your branding before you really be more well know.

Spend abit more time and maybe money to get your image and branding all sort out then draw up what you want to do...online that is. What is the purpose of your web presenses...etc. But at the same time don't go overboard too. If you are going to have a famous product or name..just "*.com" is enough. Everyone will know what you are and beat a path to your door...why confuse people with so many domain names. The more you do that...the more you give people the impression you have so many domain name then you are really opening yourself up to more people squatting on all variant of your brand or company name!!! heheh... Go check out all the big names you see out there locally and in the US..then you check to see if they DID buy up all the various domain prefix just to save themselves heheh...you will find very few. Many have drop that kiasu way. If people want to ride on your coat tail to sell a similar service or product..there are thousands of ways of doing so...not just online. Keep your online developement basic and simple and then build on it. Putting in too many variable or component to cover this and that just make matters more complicated, expensive and worst...useless.

Trust me I had that head to head banging with my boss years ago when he had this dream of grandeur about B2B and B2C...blah I talk him down and scale our entire web presense and development to a slower pace and cut off all the hoopla we heard around us. YOu recall even our govt was speaking all aglow about the future of the internet and how many company will be super rich and famous if we implement this, register that, deplay this...blah blah blah.

He thought I was stupid and have no idea with the web and thus I drag my feet. It did not take long for him to see if we have done what he wanted we would have lost a huge sum of money for years before calling it quits.

So ..heheh don't make boss' mistake. Now I am not sure what product or business you are in but remember this....not all business needs the internet to make money. Some company do really well by just keeping their site a information base. Some of course do well to use the internet to build their business. So you need to see where your company fit in. More of my two cents heheh

personally, i would say go with .com only.. having the country code at the back may be a headache when you are not able to register the same domain name in a particular country..

xxx.com, xxx.com.sg, xxx.com.my, xxxhkg.com.hk, xxx.co.jp.. sorts of throw u off ..

those big companies out there... they normally have the .com address... all the subsidary website sites, when keyed in like yyy.com.sg will most of the time redirect to yyy.com/sg ...

you would also need to consider the layout for the website.. would it follow the corporate layout or are each office going to have their own layout?

however, depending on the type of service/product you provide to the masses, you may have to consider registering the domain for most of the country codes as you would want to prevent abuse of the domain name by squatters

.com.sg need to have registered company and i think is $70/yr iirc

Status
Not open for further replies.