Status
Not open for further replies.

evildolly

Jul 27, 2003
Singapore
sassystrawberry.com
Miniature Studio Shoot for my Precious~ ^_^

Photographer: Timber

Model: Customhouse Merchen Ai (one-off) Cinderella.

Owner: ME!

:D

you don't need humans to practise portraiture ^_~

51828-77.jpg

51828-78.jpg

51828-79.jpg

51828-80.jpg

Beautiful doll you have there, evildolly. :) Interesting subject for portraiture, a refreshing change from the usual human models that others have been posting. The eyes of your doll esp. are captivating, though I agree with Areality that the doll's complexion is a shade too pale for my liking. Just a personal comment, hope u dun take offence. :sweatsm: Must have cost u a bomb tho...

Question for Timber: Which lens were u using for the shoot? Just curious to find out. A macro lens would be ideal I guess...given the close subject to camera distance.

Timber said:
Now THIS one's freaky! :faint: :bsmilie:

Thank you for the comments :) i used EF50mm f1.8 to shoot these.

Garion said:
Beautiful doll you have there, evildolly. :) Interesting subject for portraiture, a refreshing change from the usual human models that others have been posting. The eyes of your doll esp. are captivating, though I agree with Areality that the doll's complexion is a shade too pale for my liking. Just a personal comment, hope u dun take offence. :sweatsm: Must have cost u a bomb tho...

Question for Timber: Which lens were u using for the shoot? Just curious to find out. A macro lens would be ideal I guess...given the close subject to camera distance.

Now THIS one's freaky! :faint: :bsmilie:

none taken=) thank you very much.

as timblur mentioned, the doll and stuff cost about the same as one of your lenses :D

her skin is the paler type, special snow-white skin. normal version not so fair ^_^ but its really personal preference. hehe

the boy doll isn't mine, but i do love his really focused look. he's staring at you from the pic :devil:

err.. were you by any chance in the Funan food court yesterday at abt 6+???
I saw a couple with one of those dolls. Tot might be you ????

Anyway, I find that a better choice of background might be better lor. The total black bg for the doll with black hair.. hmm can see much details lor. maybe shine a light on the hair?

Then the cluster bg of the 4th and 5th pic really look bland. too much colours cause much eye score....

:p

Belle&Sebastain said:
EVIL DOLLY i prefer blythe dolls, big head dolls :devil:

oooooooo those r just as creepy looking as well ....

Belle&Sebastain said:
EVIL DOLLY i prefer blythe dolls, big head dolls :devil:

hehe
my super dollfies have seduced me away from Blythe collecting *grin* later i post some old pics of my blythe? ^_~

lavenderlilz. hehe acquired taste i believe ^_^

i love dolls, most kinds. can't you tell? :D :bsmilie:
Bluestrike said:
err.. were you by any chance in the Funan food court yesterday at abt 6+???
I saw a couple with one of those dolls. Tot might be you ????

Anyway, I find that a better choice of background might be better lor. The total black bg for the doll with black hair.. hmm can see much details lor. maybe shine a light on the hair?

Then the cluster bg of the 4th and 5th pic really look bland. too much colours cause much eye score....

:p
Bluestrike nope ^_^ i haven't gotten a bag to transport my babies properly yet. then i'll bring them out. ^_^

timblur doesn't like that particular pic as well, he say too much color.... but but i love color ^_^

as for the boy, the black stuff is his hair hehe. maybe the crop is too tight.

will do better next time! thank you for all the constructive comments. hehe~

hey, your doll has wigs too.. how cute.. Is it bald in the first place? The male doll looks like sharon au at first sight :D coz he has slanted eyes.. paiseh if i made her admirers here angry.. :sweat:

innovas1 said:
hey, your doll has wigs too.. how cute.. Is it bald in the first place? The male doll looks like sharon au at first sight :D coz he has slanted eyes.. paiseh if i made her admirers here angry.. :sweat:

:D ;) yeah, my doll Grace is meant to be customized, so you can change the wigs and eyes, also since she's ball-jointed, she's good for posing for pics ^_^

e.g. of ball jointed dolls are customhouse ai & volks super dollfie.

now that you mention it, that boy does look a bit like sharon au :bsmilie:

don't think u will make them angry la, here all for fun rite? keke

evildolly said:
none taken=) thank you very much.

as timblur mentioned, the doll and stuff cost about the same as one of your lenses :D
Ok, you piqued my interest with your statement. Just out of curiousity, I did a quick check of the prices of the Volks Super Dollfies which you had mentioned...omigosh...68,000 yen each!! :bigeyes: You're right...thats about SGD $1k+...almost the price if an L lens...and thats just the doll alone, accessories not included. Phew... :sweat: Just wondering, how many of such dolls do u have? ^^;

For Timblur as well: I've also come across some Japanese sites during my search that have really beautiful portraiture-style photographs of these dolls; many of them taken outdoor as well. Maybe can look at them and get some inspiration/ideas? :sweatsm: The first two pics the flash maybe a bit too harsh, maybe try use diffuser or bounce off the ceiling?

And yes....Blythe dolls are spooky....those huge eyes! :faint:

Garion said:
Ok, you piqued my interest with your statement. Just out of curiousity, I did a quick check of the prices of the Volks Super Dollfies which you had mentioned...omigosh...68,000 yen each!! :bigeyes: You're right...thats about SGD $1k+...almost the price if an L lens...and thats just the doll alone, accessories not included. Phew... :sweat: Just wondering, how many of such dolls do u have? ^^;

For Timblur as well: I've also come across some Japanese sites during my search that have really beautiful portraiture-style photographs of these dolls; many of them taken outdoor as well. Maybe can look at them and get some inspiration/ideas? :sweatsm: The first two pics the flash maybe a bit too harsh, maybe try use diffuser or bounce off the ceiling?

And yes....Blythe dolls are spooky....those huge eyes! :faint:
hehe.
Yeah, and 68,000 yen are only the normal, non limited editions. The limited edition dolls sell for about 2k sgd, and the one-off (unique) auction models sell for about 6k+++

(and that's not incl. s/h costs)

I have one fullsized Customhouse Ai & one mini-super dollfie. :D

CH dolls are cheaper than Volks, becoz they are Korean. ^_^

As for the portraiture pics, yes! I've been feeding him with those pictures as well, cos dolls are my passion and photography is his. I think he cannot tahan sometimes lolz.

He was using 2 flash, reason is that the doll eyes are very small & concave, so hard to get a nice catchlight. experimental. ^_^ next time we'll draw inspiration from those fantastic japanese doll photographers. ^_^

thanks so much Garion ^_^

ps. I used to love Blythe dolls until Super dollfie & customhouse ai came to SG. hehe. been bioing them for years ^-^

its quite different taking pictures for dolls cos u got to physically adjust yourself, since the doll doesn't move. and she's a lot smaller than a person, so u got to compensate for that. but its fun! ^_^

Just a group pic of the Xmas Doll Party I attended last yr~
you're looking at more than 15k worth of dolls. *lol* :D
everyone.jpg

evildolly said:
hehe.
Yeah, and 68,000 yen are only the normal, non limited editions. The limited edition dolls sell for about 2k sgd, and the one-off (unique) auction models sell for about 6k+++

(and that's not incl. s/h costs)
My goodness....6k++.. :eek: Thats even more than what a professional digital SLR body would cost...the Nikon D2H for instance costs SGD$5,999 (just for comparison purpose). ^^; A far cry from the normal Barbie dolls you get in dept. stores. And I thought photography was already a money-consuming hobby...it seems collecting dolls also is... :sweat:

I have one fullsized Customhouse Ai & one mini-super dollfie. :D

CH dolls are cheaper than Volks, becoz they are Korean. ^_^
Oic. Is the make of the Korean dolls the same quality as the Japanese ones? Looks pretty similar, well from the pics anyway...

As for the portraiture pics, yes! I've been feeding him with those pictures as well, cos dolls are my passion and photography is his. I think he cannot tahan sometimes lolz.

He was using 2 flash, reason is that the doll eyes are very small & concave, so hard to get a nice catchlight. experimental. ^_^ next time we'll draw inspiration from those fantastic japanese doll photographers. ^_^
There's this jp site I've been too...dunno if you've seen it before (luckily I bookmarked it)...its at http://www.irma-doll.net/menu/main.html. Check out the photo gallery....wonderful hi-quality resolution portraits of his dolls...this guy has quite a few (even a....ummm...life-size one.. :sweat: ) But check out the portrait shots of the smaller dolls (the super dollfies ones)...very creative use of lighting techniques and composition. My fav is this series. (cute poses hehe). Very nice pics and worth a browse. :thumbsup:

thanks so much Garion ^_^

ps. I used to love Blythe dolls until Super dollfie & customhouse ai came to SG. hehe. been bioing them for years ^-^

its quite different taking pictures for dolls cos u got to physically adjust yourself, since the doll doesn't move. and she's a lot smaller than a person, so u got to compensate for that. but its fun! ^_^
You're welcome. Doll portraiture is quite a fascinating subject, photographing them is quite different from real life-size human models. The techniques used are different too. Seems like real fun to try out, well...hmm...maybe one day if I have the chance... :sweatsm:

Just a group pic of the Xmas Doll Party I attended last yr~
you're looking at more than 15k worth of dolls. *lol* :D
Wow.....thats quite a bit of $$$ there... :sweat: Which one are yours?

Korean CustomHouse Ai are of comparable Quality as the Volks Super Dollfies, and in fact I prefer the face-ups (painted faces) of the Korean dolls better. :) matter of preference.

Thats a nice site :) There are heaps more, I'll put some links if you guys are interested in seeing them.

My doll is the small blonde girl sitting in the centre of the Sofa. And the doll featured in the original pictures is also mine.

this one
51828-76.jpg

51828-82.jpg

51828-83.jpg

these were taken by me, so excuse me if they are not very good.

funksoulava: lolz blythe =D~~~~ lovely lovely girl

http://fumu.cool.ne.jp/bb/f-top.htm
http://www.daughters.all-talents.org/
http://jujube.dolls-haven.com/
http://dolls.oheya.to/flame.html

funksoulava said:

ok ok I'll retract my earlier statement as I am starting to get hooked on them after shooting them..... hehehe :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.