Doing my own Wedding Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

simpleneasy

Jul 13, 2003
Hi Everyone,

I am planning to get my friends to take my wedding photograph. However we are facing the problem of getting wedding costumes and printing of wedding album.

The main thing is i have to make my wife happy and at the same time keep the cost low.

Can anyone recommend any good places for:

1. Wedding Costumes
2. Good Printer

Kindly advise the price range if you happen to know as well.

Thank you :D

If you want really nice gowns... I think you don't really have much of a choice but to rent it at exhorbitant prices from the large bridal boutiques.

If not, you can try approaching fashion design students to make/design one for you... Or simply buy it off from E-bay.

I think guys generally aren't so bothered by it. But I'm darn sure the wives will make sure he hears no end of it. :bsmilie:

gowns, actual day also wearing same one rite? where you get that gown then?

friend shoot pre-wedding issit? got studio or not? if no, then mabbe forego the gown lah.

Yeah I guess the budget will only permit 1 gown for the actual day, outdoor and studio shoot.

well infact i did everything myself with some friends,

1) SET UP A STUDIO FOR SHOOT , unless u do outdoor so no need $ ( for my case i setup my own hm studio abt 3K , but if u want i can rent it for u to take pictures at low cost .or i can rent the equipment to u
2) buy wedding customer from ebay / closing down bridal or rent one .i bought a total of 8 set for my wife . maybe u can rent from me ( hehe )
3) my wedding book , diy , bought the hardcover from a friend and print photos and paste it myself ( but damn lots of work but i like the process. ) did the layout with photoshop and spray glue and past the pictures over it ,outcome of product , cant tell a different from the rest ,
4) close friends to take pictures ( a small token )

well infact i did everything myself with some friends,

1) SET UP A STUDIO FOR SHOOT , unless u do outdoor so no need $ ( for my case i setup my own hm studio abt 3K , but if u want i can rent it for u to take pictures at low cost .or i can rent the equipment to u
2) buy wedding customer from ebay / closing down bridal or rent one .i bought a total of 8 set for my wife . maybe u can rent from me ( hehe )
3) my wedding book , diy , bought the hardcover from a friend and print photos and paste it myself ( but damn lots of work but i like the process. ) did the layout with photoshop and spray glue and past the pictures over it ,outcome of product , cant tell a different from the rest ,
4) close friends to take pictures ( a small token )

your wedding is a "not-so-budget" budget style. :bsmilie::sweat:

your wedding is a "not-so-budget" budget style. :bsmilie::sweat:

thanks

anyway have help many people with my equipments for a small fee for those who know me ;).
as for wedding clothes i bought it $50 each as shop was closing down . ( friends shop so cheap cheap )

basically in spent abt less than a 1 K

I think it's a great idea. Your username "simpleneasy" says it all. You may even want to do without a "traditional" wedding gown, or simply borrow one from a good friend who recently got married.

Doing something yourself makes it a lot more special than hiring some expensive pro to do it for you. It will bring great memories of the time you spent putting the album together.

Don't let the fear-mongers scare you into spending money to avoid future regret.

My wife and I have not looked at our professionally-taken pictures in 10 years. We are still very much in love. Our favourite picture is one taken by her cousin during the wedding. My favourite memory of the wedding preparation is working together on our invitation cards.

thanks

anyway have help many people with my equipments for a small fee for those who know me ;).
as for wedding clothes i bought it $50 each as shop was closing down . ( friends shop so cheap cheap )

basically in spent abt less than a 1 K
thats better if not taking the $ needed to setup the home-studio.

anyway I believe most of the printer nowadays should be good enough for photo print, all you need is some careful calibration, $ for ink :sweat:, $ for paper, more time to work on PP/design... etc probably just get a "standard" a4 printer with duplex function (even a <S$150 printer can do this now)

thats better if not taking the $ needed to setup the home-studio.

anyway I believe most of the printer nowadays should be good enough for photo print, all you need is some careful calibration, $ for ink :sweat:, $ for paper, more time to work on PP/design... etc probably just get a "standard" a4 printer with duplex function (even a <S$150 printer can do this now)

yup as for the printer , i use the one at pennisula plaza quite cheap the one with kodak sign

Generalsales,

You are my idol and inspiration!!!!

HaHaHa... I will consider about renting the wedding gown and studio from you.

And can i learn how to make my own album from you.

;)

Hi Everyone,

I am planning to get my friends to take my wedding photograph. However we are facing the problem of getting wedding costumes and printing of wedding album.

The main thing is i have to make my wife happy and at the same time keep the cost low.

1. Wedding Costumes
2. Good Printer

this might be OT for you, but actually if you're open and confident enough, you might even consider not doing your wedding album before the big day. not sure if you've heard of this before, some couples actually do their wedding albums when they go on their honeymoon. i.e. they bring along their wedding dresses (just 1 simple set) and take pictures when they decide any particular spot is exotic/beautiful enough for them.

That would be an alternative. But most people want the album or what not for display during the wedding dinner. I admit I did that during mine, but heh. I really don't see the real reason behind it. Just a case of I see people do, so I also do lor :bsmilie:

Most packages from boutiques will not allow you to keep the gown for more than 1-2 days after your wedding. Unless you are willing to (again) pay...

one more alternative is to go for pre honeymoon that is rather common for many couples as well. this will help to make sure that the couple have the photo during the actual wedding day (dinner)

Hi Everyone,

1. Wedding Costumes
2. Good Printer

For wedding gowns, I would recommend Ted Collection at South Bridge Road. I've had good experiences with them. They have a package for WG, EG and tea dress and you get to keep them all for under $2500, all MTM. I don't know their prices now but should be around there. We paid $2k for the package 4 years back. Up to you when you want to shoot, just got to give them about a year or maybe less to do your gown. ;p

For printer, I don't like printing anywhere else other than ColourLab at Adelphi.

Thank everyone for sharing.

I am crossing my finger and hopefully do not enrage my wife and my in laws.

Will post some pictures to share once i get things going.

Dude. You better make sure your wife is willing to go through with this whole idea of yours. Whether it turns out a success or otherwise.

What does the in-laws got to do with this ah?

Status
Not open for further replies.