Dog Meat sold in Sg? (source: HWZ)

The climate in Singapore not suitable for dog meat leh.. Nose bleed. LOL

The climate in Singapore not suitable for dog meat leh.. Nose bleed. LOL

Fear not for nose bleed, just consume some cooling tea to balance your system.

people argue that it's not right because dogs are "man's best friend".. that we keep them as pets.

American rights groups say that it's barbaric. but for chinese people it's considered a delicacy. well.... ancestral chinese did eat dogs' meat as well..

but i'll take a stand. dogs are not meant for the menu in a restaurant. and in singapore it's illegal. because the SPCA said so. and i believe it's so.

when you kill a chicken or duck or fish, you don't see any expression (unlike in the disney cartoons). however, dogs can mimic human emotions. and they have this ability to look sad or happy. and when you kill them.. they whimper in pain and you can see the expression. how the chinamen in the trade kill the dogs is downright brutal. that's why many countries abhor it.

people argue that it's not right because dogs are "man's best friend".. that we keep them as pets.

American rights groups say that it's barbaric. but for chinese people it's considered a delicacy. well.... ancestral chinese did eat dogs' meat as well..

but i'll take a stand. dogs are not meant for the menu in a restaurant. and in singapore it's illegal. because the SPCA said so. and i believe it's so.

when you kill a chicken or duck or fish, you don't see any expression (unlike in the disney cartoons). however, dogs can mimic human emotions. and they have this ability to look sad or happy. and when you kill them.. they whimper in pain and you can see the expression. how the chinamen in the trade kill the dogs is downright brutal. that's why many countries abhor it.

To simply put it,

Dogs, cats etc.. = Pets

Chicken, fish, cow(beef) = Livestock

To simply put it,

Dogs, cats etc.. = Pets

Chicken, fish, cow(beef) = Livestock

Some people keep Pot-bellied Pigs and miniature Chickens as Pets too.... should I stop eating pork and chicken now ?? :think:

While I agree that certain animals should stay off the dinner table... which incl Shark Fins... using the classification of PETS and LIVESTOCK is just too simple. Should dogs be now allow to be eaten as food just because we are breeding them like livestock... and they do that in CHINA.

Personally... I've eaten dog once in Manado, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. Local consider it a very normal dish. As it is very rude to reject my host's hospitality... I did try some. Very spicy and tough... :thumbsd:

kei1309 said:

If you have reared cows before, you will know that they have a lot of expressions too. And if you say you are going to kill or sell them in front of them, they will cry the night before it happens. When slaughtering them, they will cry and shed tears as well. Will you stop eating beef?

Have you seen pigs being slaughtered? The shrieks and the crying. And pigs, if kept as pets are as clean as dogs. Pigs are also highly intelligent and can do tricks just like dogs. Pigs can even do things dogs can't, like locating truffles buried deep in the ground. Will you stop eating pork?

Swan (鹅) are also very intelligent animals. They can differentiate between owners and strangers and will not hesitate to snap at strangers entering their territory. But owners and their families are dear to them. They also harbor grudges too if you are fierce to them. They also eat a lot and 5 swans will eat the equivalent amount of food to a full sized pig. Swans will also cry the night before you slaughter them. Will you stop eating roasted swan 烧鹅?

Have you played with cows before? Or deer? Or swans? Or pigs? Or chicken?Bro, before making sweeping statements like the one you made above, you need to think them through. By your logic, you pretty much need to stop eating almost all meats available in the market now.

If you want to make a case against eating dog meat, do so in a way that you do not put down other animals that you have no personal experience with.

If you really want to put forth the image that you care about living things and their emotions so much that you will not eat their meat, go vegan.

And btw, have you seen how farms in America treat cows and pigs? How American farms treat chickens and ducks? Bro, you need to be educated. Head over to PETA.org. Don't be so naive in thinking that only people like Chinese are brutal when slaughtering dogs. People are the same all over the world.

In the end it is about culture. What others do in another culture as a norm may look 'cruel' or 'wrong' to you. That is simply due to culture shock. That doesn't mean it is immoral or wrong. In singapore, selling of dog meat is illegal, so that is purely a legal thing. That the sale of dog meat is illegal in Singapore. Doesn't make it evil or immoral.

To force our own beliefs, values and norms on other cultures, we will only force those cultures to disappear. Is that what we want? This issue is not as simple as it is. And I am not saying if it is right or wrong. To think so, would be ignoring the bigger picture, and being naive and ignorant to the complexities of life.

Last edited:
Old People will tell you eat dog meat and you will be haunted by dogs in ur whole live dog see you chase u like mad but not sure if its true anot

DjSnap said:
Old People will tell you eat dog meat and you will be haunted by dogs in ur whole live dog see you chase u like mad but not sure if its true anot

Well, in my travels I have eaten dog meat unknowingly and drank dog meat soup.

I still love dogs and those dogs still love me.

Well. It's my personal stand on the sale of dog meat. The way my family has been raised to be cat and dog lovers. I'm saying it's not right because of my personal beliefs. For others you might feel differently. But that's your own stand

kei1309 said:
Well. It's my personal stand on the sale of dog meat. The way my family has been raised to be cat and dog lovers. I'm saying it's not right because of my personal beliefs. For others you might feel differently. But that's your own stand

I respect your stand. But please do not put down other animals when you make your stand.

I respect your stand. But please do not put down other animals when you make your stand.

that's the same reason a lot of people are giving for the ban of dog meat sales.

and it's call ethical dilemmas. considering a dog/cat for pets means a no-no to eating. but neglecting the fact that other animals are treated the same way. it happens.

Could be a spelling error on menu 'Braised Dog meat' maybe should spell as 'Braised Hog meat' ?

kei1309 said:
that's the same reason a lot of people are giving for the ban of dog meat sales.

and it's call ethical dilemmas. considering a dog/cat for pets means a no-no to eating. but neglecting the fact that other animals are treated the same way. it happens.

Well the world is like that. Making excuses and reason as it goes along. Selecting what to promote as right and wrong. While saying "too bad" to the ones that fall as dilemmas.

Much like our wonderful govt. It happens.

How convenient.

Last edited:
The case against consuming of dog's flesh should be base on the wider availability of more common meat like chicken, beef, mutton, pork… etc. Our grandparents came from a time where most form of meat is scarce and expensive. Eating dogs, rats and even cats is but a way to get 'cheap' protein. With our current lifestyle… most of us will die from too much protein instead of the lack of it… therefore eating meats from animals that most would considered as pets is totally unnecessary.

Well the world is like that. Making excuses and reason as it goes along. Much like our wonderful government.

Much like the Government that still have the support of the silent majority… lets keep Politics out of this discussion. :nono: